MLB 2019 Changes

I would love it if the Cubs could use this throwback road jersey as their full-time road uniforms. Maybe with blue cap/red bill, a red number on the front too along with blue NOB, red number on the back. 

zFkDVSH.png

I also love the blue alt jerseys, but would prefer to keep them on the road as it currently is. Home whites only at Wrigley. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, daveindc said:

A blue alt for the Cubs is fine, they just need use the proper logo:

Chicago Cubs : News Photo

Chicago Cubs v Philadelphia Phillies : News Photo

With each passing year I get more nostalgic for the pullover era and these are near the top of the list. (Except maybe for the distracting bear head patch on the sleeve, make that smaller or remove it)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Unpopular opinion, maybe, but I prefer the white outline on CHICAGO.  Red and royal blue don't contrast enough at that size, leaving the letters unnecessarily muddled.  The A in particular become a monolithic trapezoid with legs.

With white outlines, the CHICAGO reads crisply and cleanly.  Then when paired with red numbers also outlined in white.  The color balance is damn near perfect.

I stand by what I said earlier... the Cubs uniforms are pretty damn perfect as is.  Leave 'em alone.

6 hours ago, NicDB said:

I stand by what I said earlier... the Cubs uniforms are pretty damn perfect as is.  Leave 'em alone.

I'm just happy the team dumped the worst road jersey in franchise history by the time they won the series.

Rizzo-CUBS.jpg

The jersey doesn't use their trademark font, employs a generic block script for the team name (even if it had a historical precedent), and features placket trim that appears nowhere else in their look. I know we throw around the accusation of something looking like a "cheap knock-off" repeatedly, but this is the only uniform set that really deserved it.

15 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm just happy the team dumped the worst road jersey in franchise history by the time they won the series.

Rizzo-CUBS.jpg

The jersey doesn't use their trademark font, employs a generic block script for the team name (even if it had a historical precedent), and features placket trim that appears nowhere else in their look. I know we throw around the accusation of something looking like a "cheap knock-off" repeatedly, but this is the only uniform set that really deserved it.

Also, what was up with those tiny numbers?

But give it another couple years and people will start posting about how they miss them.  Hell, there's people who actually talk fondly about these monstrosities.
15023882722_d4d2f6856d_o.jpg

On 10/4/2018 at 2:46 PM, NicDB said:

Unpopular opinion, maybe, but I prefer the white outline on CHICAGO.  Red and royal blue don't contrast enough at that size, leaving the letters unnecessarily muddled.  The A in particular become a monolithic trapezoid with legs.

No, it's fine. We have HDTV now. Just keep the grey from being too dark and it's fine. If royal and red together are a problem anywhere, it's on the piping. That can go. Names and numbers are fine.

Bold opinion: the Cubs shouldn't wear any bear logos on their sleeves at all. Wear the National League patch at home, the primary logo on the road, and probably the NL patch again on the blue (which, yes, should just be a button-down version of the '80s pullover).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, NicDB said:

Also, what was up with those tiny numbers?

But give it another couple years and people will start posting about how they miss them.  Hell, there's people who actually talk fondly about these monstrosities.
15023882722_d4d2f6856d_o.jpg

Every time I see these, I think it says “CUBA”. 

XM4KeeA.png

On 10/4/2018 at 1:46 PM, RoughRiders99 said:

I would love it if the Cubs could use this throwback road jersey as their full-time road uniforms. Maybe with blue cap/red bill, a red number on the front too along with blue NOB, red number on the back. 

zFkDVSH.png

I also love the blue alt jerseys, but would prefer to keep them on the road as it currently is. Home whites only at Wrigley. 

That's the absolute ideal Cubs road uniform. Perfect color balance, an attractive font, and historical relevance.

Anybody else scared for the future of MLB uniforms now after seeing how bad Nike is doing the NBA? I mean, the holiday stuff isn't THAT bad. It's only for that holiday/series. But be prepared for new alternates beyond your wields dreams!

I don't even think the Yankees will be able to escape Nike...

da0Lbhs.png

On 10/6/2018 at 7:55 AM, kroywen said:

That's the absolute ideal Cubs road uniform. Perfect color balance, an attractive font, and historical relevance.

Piping's gotta go, looks purple from a distance, and stick the primary logo on the sleeve. But other than that, yeah. No front numbers, either.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/3/2018 at 8:03 PM, insert name said:

I would love to see the alternative cap come back for the road uniforms only.

Image result for Cubs 2003

You can tell the Cubs' current road jerseys were designed with the red-billed cap in mind. The blue wordmark and names with red numbers worked much better before they were paired with the traditional hat. (That photo you chose pretty neatly sums up the misery of a former Cubs life. I think that's from a 2006 start in Minnesota near the end of the Prior/Baker era.)

My ideal Cubs look maintains the current number font but makes these changes:

HOME: Keep it as is.

ROAD: Current wordmark and names but blue outlined in red. Standard blue numbers with red outlines. No piping on the jersey or pants, because the blue/red combo does look purple from a distance. Walking bear logo on the left sleeve. Basically the current set but everything is blue with a red outline.

ALT: Main CUBS logo on the chest and the walking bear logo on the left sleeve of a blue jersey with no piping. Paired with the old red-billed cap (exclusively seen here) and worn only on the road with gray pants. NL patch is gone. Name and numbers are red outlined in white.

THROWBACK: 1937 homes that they used once in 2014, worn on alternating Saturday and Sunday afternoons at Wrigley.

That's a timeless uniform that doesn't need to be touched. Ever. Right now, only the home set is iconic. The rest can be messed with.

(Could somebody mock that up?)

1 hour ago, skip88 said:

So that was the last time we saw chief wahoo on the indians sleeves. Anyone know what the team will have on the sleeve next season?

They'll wear the 2019 MLB All Star Game patch on their sleeve next season. Something new is in the works for 2020.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

16 hours ago, simtek34 said:

Anybody else scared for the future of MLB uniforms now after seeing how bad Nike is doing the NBA? I mean, the holiday stuff isn't THAT bad. It's only for that holiday/series. But be prepared for new alternates beyond your wields dreams!

I don't even think the Yankees will be able to escape Nike...

Not really, Nike took over NFL too and didnt go crazy outside of the Color Rush.  You might see a few, but the should be some restraint.

Archived