MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McCall said:

I'd argue that the home and road are perfect as is. No more changes needed. I do like the blue "Mets" jersey. Paired with the regular cap (no alternate needed), it's a great look. Used as an occasional alt, home or away, maybe day games, it'd be a great compliment to the home and roads.

The only changes I’d make are to the cap (original logo, not the too-skinny 90s version) and replace the unbalanced wordmark with the original.

And finally, maybe change the pinstripe home from set-in to raglan sleeves.  Think pinstripes look better that way.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

As I said, minor tweaks.  Otherwise they’re perfect. 

Devil Rays Uniforms Return for four in 2019

April 20, 2019 - 22:00 PM

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are returning to a Major League Baseball diamond for four games in 2019, and good news, game one is tonight! First brought back last season in celebration of the club’s 20th anniversary of their expansion […]

Read More...

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Mets need only one alternate:

fa0add7456565b4edc2aa6420937b50d-origina

I'd just as soon make these the permanent homes.  Let them trot out throwbacks from 1969 and 1986 when they want to wear pinstripes.  But I always felt the pinstripes were a distraction from everything that's good about the Mets identity.

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I can get behind that.  Blue from the Dodgers, orange from the Giants.  They don’t need a tribute to the Yankees. 

But what’s wrong with tributing the 1969 and 1986 Mets? They’ve got the same right to pinstripes as a primary uniform.

Still, if the snow whites were the main home look, I wouldn’t mind. It’s a sharp-looking uniform, but it doesn’t have the historical clout of the royal blue pinstripes.

49 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I can get behind that.  Blue from the Dodgers, orange from the Giants.  They don’t need a tribute to the Yankees. 

Good point. Dodgers and Giants were never associated with pinstripes. Mets' pinstripes always came across as the poor man's Yankees uniforms, even after those WS wins. 1986 Mets had them, but they also had racing stripes so who cares. They are perfectly fine for occasional throwbacks.

Unpopular opinion - while those are good uniforms, they'd look better without the headspoon.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Am I the only one who can't stand the snow whites?

No, you are not.

To be clear: the Mets' use of pinstripes is not a tribute to the Yankees. The team's colours came from the Giants and Dodgers; but the pinstripes are just one of the array of standard baseball styles, a feature that plenty of teams have used. It is organic to the Mets.

The Mets have worn pinstripes for 58 seasons; to illustrate how long that is, consider that it is the same amount of time that the Yankees had been wearing pinstripes as of 1972. This design element is absolutely essential to the Mets' look. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

To be clear: the Mets' use of pinstripes is not a tribute to the Yankees. The team's colours came from the Giants and Dodgers; but the pinstripes are just one of the array of standard baseball styles, a feature that plenty of teams have used. 

And in this case, it was a standard baseball style specifically chosen to reference the Yankees and bestow a little of their legitimacy upon the new franchise in town.

No different than early football teams borrowing the name of the local baseball club in hopes some of their credibility would rub off.  It doesn’t matter that the Bears and Giants have now used those names for a century, no amount of tenure changes the origin.

There’s absolutely an argument that the Mets have been using pinstripes long enough that they should keep going, but that doesn’t alter the past, nor does it make them the Pinstripers.  We’d laugh them off the internet if they tried to adopt a hashtag like “#PinstripePride”. 

10 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

No, you are not.

To be clear: the Mets' use of pinstripes is not a tribute to the Yankees. The team's colours came from the Giants and Dodgers; but the pinstripes are just one of the array of standard baseball styles, a feature that plenty of teams have used. It is organic to the Mets.

The Mets have worn pinstripes for 58 seasons; to illustrate how long that is, consider that it is the same amount of time that the Yankees had been wearing pinstripes as of 1972. This design element is absolutely essential to the Mets' look. 

12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

But what’s wrong with tributing the 1969 and 1986 Mets? They’ve got the same right to pinstripes as a primary uniform.

Still, if the snow whites were the main home look, I wouldn’t mind. It’s a sharp-looking uniform, but it doesn’t have the historical clout of the royal blue pinstripes.

12 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Am I the only one who can't stand the snow whites?

The Mets established themselves as a pinstripe team from the beginning and the snow whites were only around from 1997 to 2014. Also I can't see them without remembering that stupid black drop shadow...

Even if you put aside any argument having to do with the Yankees, I still feel like the snow whites do a better job of showing off the strengths of the Mets brand. Mostly, their unique (at least for baseball) colors and what is a perfect balance of those colors when the pinstripes aren't there. I feel like the pinstripes push them to where there is not enough orange.

Still. There's no denying that while plenty of teams wear pinstripes, if you ask anyone to free associate the words "New York," "baseball," and "pinstripes," no one who's not a fan is gonna answer "The Mets."

The Mets are fine as they are. The clean whites are solid, but going to them would feel like a big change-for-change-sakes. Both New York teams can use pinstripes; it's not just a Yankees thing.

I'm fine either way, though I prefer the piping whites a little more than the pinstripes. My ideal scenario would be if the Mets went back to the piping full time and had a '86 throwback for Sundays like they did 2016, but I wouldn't mind if they kept it the way it is now. For what it's worth, the blue alts are one of the best colored alts in the league when used in moderation, but the Mets just wore them way too often (especially the 2015 World Series) and I think we've all grown a fatigue of them.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

The Mets' narrow, condensed athletic block for NOBs is an underrated design element of theirs, I feel. Helps set them off from the Cubs a bit.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived