MLB 2019 Changes

On the subject of the Red Sox uniforms for Patriots Day — the bombings happened in 2013, the last year of the Red Sox wearing all navy lettering in the road. So the “Boston Strong” jersey used those letter forms but red fabric instead of blue. 

That tradition has kept up despite the Red Sox mercifully going back to the road style that matches the homes in 2014.

7801886.jpg

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/13/2019 at 4:32 PM, MJD7 said:

That matches the social media graphics package their using this year. I don’t think it looks good at all, but I also don’t imagine it will be for anything more than this year.

aYy1m07.jpg

I don’t think this is meant to be a tease at anything uniform related; looks more like someone in the Twins design department is just using retro baseball cards as inspiration for this year’s graphics package.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

They’ll be wearing the one with the ‘40s logo and white squatchee:

spacer.png

Thanks!  Maybe they’ll start selling them on the MLB shop. 

And holy :censored:, those are gorgeous. The thicker numbers look great against the white jerseys.  There’s another team that shouldn’t wear names at home; this should be their primary look. 

Need to move the numbers up a couple of inches if going NNOB.  It looks better if it looks like the NOB shouldn't even be there - not that it's just missing.

ff_2205585alt1_full.jpg&w=90013635b_robin_roberts.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Digby said:

On the subject of the Red Sox uniforms for Patriots Day — the bombings happened in 2013, the last year of the Red Sox wearing all navy lettering in the road. So the “Boston Strong” jersey used those letter forms but red fabric instead of blue. 

That tradition has kept up despite the Red Sox mercifully going back to the road style that matches the homes in 2014.

7801886.jpg

There was nothing wrong with that jersey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sure there is. It's bad for branding, in my opinion, when your scripts/NOBs/numbers/hat change their primary color between white and grey uniforms. Outlines coming and going are one thing, but base colors should be consistent. If the Tigers brought orange into their road uniforms by making all the navy elements orange instead of outlined in orange, that would look bad, and it's a fault of the Cubs that they have red numbers on the road when they're blue at home and widely thought of as a very blue team.

Of course, with the navy/red teams, it's about (or should be about) the various teams staking out their own balance of what's what, and that much navy on the uniform with so little red --except for the undershirt, where it makes the least sense -- is out of step with how we usually picture the Red Sox. (I think early on in that design, they even had to be cowed into going back to wearing literal red socks.) Having all the details in single-layer when we're used to them being outlined on everything else the Red Sox have worn for the past quarter-century stood out as an unnecessary contrivance. It never made sense to me as anything but an ill-conceived money grab: who was dying to shell out for a Red Sox uniform that was midnight blue and grey?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Since the Dodgers were in “throwbacks” there shouldn’t have been numbers on the front of the jersey (the mothership touched on this). Since they were, I wish the placement was a bit higher. They looked too low.

Other than that, no complaints.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

Sure there is. It's bad for branding, in my opinion, when your scripts/NOBs/numbers/hat change their primary color between white and grey uniforms.

I don't totally disagree with this, but I also give consideration to history and it's consistent with the way their roads were for a non-insignificant portion of their existence.  I liked how they kinda merged eras and went with the Tucson-ish style with the plain-blue letters.

It's not necessarily superior to what they use now, but I thought it was fine and still looked like a "Red Sox" jersey.  No defense for the asinine decision to drop literal red socks though.  It's literally the one requirement for a Red Sox uniform.

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

Sure there is. It's bad for branding, in my opinion, when your scripts/NOBs/numbers/hat change their primary color between white and grey uniforms. Outlines coming and going are one thing, but base colors should be consistent. If the Tigers brought orange into their road uniforms by making all the navy elements orange instead of outlined in orange, that would look bad, and it's a fault of the Cubs that they have red numbers on the road when they're blue at home and widely thought of as a very blue team.

I actually like the Cubs red road numbers.  To me, the Dodgers are a "blue" team where the Cubs have always been "blue with red," and I find the road numbers to be just enough red when paired with the blue names, scripts, hats, socks and undershirts.  

You could argue that becomes lost when the road jersey is worn as fan gear.  But even then, you can look at one across the street, spot the red number with blue name and automatically know you're looking at a Cubs jersey.  It's not easy being distinctive with a RWB color scheme, but the Cubs have actually managed to pull it off.

Joe Maddon was quoted as saying since the NBA uses Jerry West for their logo model, MLB should do the same with Mike Trout. MLB twitter account promptly changed their profile picture:

spacer.png

It looks BAD. Surely the could’ve found a better picture to go off of.

On 4/14/2019 at 2:15 PM, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Also this is a 22,000 seat stadium that seems 1/2 empty. What a disaster. Totally pointless

I have no issue with the occasional game out of the country. But only in a location that actually wants to see major league baseball and will fill the stadium

If MLB is going to do this series they need to spread it out through Mexico and not only put it in Monterrey.  I think MLB saturated Monterrey with so many series and the price may have been too expensive for the average Mexican worker to go.  Next year they should put a late march/early april 3 game series at Estadio Sonora in Hermosillo then put a series at the new Diablos Rojos stadium in Mexico City and then put the last one in Monterrey.  Estadio Sonora and Diablos Rojos stadiums are fairly new and are MLB approved.  They should take advantage of this while the facilities are still modern.  

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Joe Maddon was quoted as saying since the NBA uses Jerry West for their logo model, MLB should do the same with Mike Trout. MLB twitter account promptly changed their profile picture:

spacer.png

It looks BAD. Surely the could’ve found a better picture to go off of.

Big Chungus

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Do we have a good schedule of TBTC days?

Reds are doing 15 games of throwbacks, Phillies are wearing powder blues for road Thursdays, Marlins have another teal weekend, and the Angels have a throwback weekend in August. 

Any other rumors?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

24 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Do we have a good schedule of TBTC days?

Reds are doing 15 games of throwbacks, Phillies are wearing powder blues for road Thursdays, Marlins have another teal weekend, and the Angels have a throwback weekend in August. 

Any other rumors?

Rays wearing D-Rays unis a few times this season, starting with this Saturday against Boston.

Archived