MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like that purple and forest green combo, but I can't quite say why. They are two very loud colors and I just don't see them complementing each other very well. It feels like something I'd expect from the NBA but not MLB.

Purple and silver look very sharp together. They just need to get the balance right.

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

I don't like that purple and forest green combo, but I can't quite say why. They are two very loud colors and I just don't see them complementing each other very well. It feels like something I'd expect from the NBA but not MLB.

Purple and silver look very sharp together. They just need to get the balance right.

I don't think it's any louder than the Dbacks original purple and teal that many want back.

Here's an example of purple and silver:

Image result for kansas state football

Idk how silver would be implemented past trim. Their baseball team doesn't have any sign of silver:

Related imageRelated image

I do think a dark charcoal gray instead of black would look good. I would love to see charcoal in MLB, similar to the "Black Jays" gray.

Silver as a second color would be hard to do simply because it would blend in with grey, which is a neutral color for the away uniform. For a football, basketball, or hockey team? It can work. But not for baseball IMO.

I just want Colorado to go with purple and white, but for some reason, teams with just one color can't resist adding black to their uniforms.

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

See that's exactly why I think it would work a lot better for the Rockies than it ever did for the Bucks. They'd be in white or grey 80% of the time and the alternates would each lean heavily on one color and would still have white or grey pants. I didn't like the Bucks look as much as I could have because the colors are so loud and there is nowhere to hide from them.

In this proposal though I have a problem with the hat, I don't think the new purple is great for the crown of a primary cap but I have trouble picturing the green cap looking good unless we're talking a darker green than the bucks used. Possibly A's colored, but that might be a strange look too after getting so used to black hats for the Rockies.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

17 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Silver as a second color would be hard to do simply because it would blend in with grey, which is a neutral color for the away uniform. For a football, basketball, or hockey team? It can work. But not for baseball IMO.

I just want Colorado to go with purple and white, but for some reason, teams with just one color can't resist adding black to their uniforms.

The White Sox have been doing it for almost 30 years and nobody seems to mind.

76877a_lg.jpegmlbf_1518272483_th_46.jpg

Just flip grey/silver and white on the home and road sets. It’s not like this concept is new territory for the Rockies.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY4cddt3g6ziI3ErVRiMI

Purple/silver would be fantastic. 

29 minutes ago, daveindc said:

I don't think it's any louder than the Dbacks original purple and teal that many want back.

Here's an example of purple and silver:

Image result for kansas state football

Idk how silver would be implemented past trim. Their baseball team doesn't have any sign of silver:

Related imageRelated image

I do think a dark charcoal gray instead of black would look good. I would love to see charcoal in MLB, similar to the "Black Jays" gray.

My mind is on the home white jersey, which I believe generated this discussion in the first place. Having said that, I don't see forest green and purple working together on a solid color alternate. The Rockies current purple jersey is rather decent.

22 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The White Sox have been doing it for almost 30 years and nobody seems to mind.

76877a_lg.jpegmlbf_1518272483_th_46.jpg

Just flip grey/silver and white on the home and road sets. It’s not like this concept is new territory for the Rockies.

I thought the whole time Chicago was black and white, with silver accents. Still, doing something like that could work for the Rockies, even if the silver is barely noticeable.

The Rockies don't need a full rebrand. Their alternates and road grays are completely fine. I would just try to improve upon their primary & cap logos and add some more purple to the home whites. Keep the pinstripes, but a new font for the wordmark would be fine too. I just can't imagine a green/purple combo working for them.

I admire the Rockies for sustaining the same general aesthetic since their inaugural season. Is it the best in MLB? Of course not, but it's much better than what the other three 90s expansion teams are wearing at the moment. And those three have all undergone several major rebrands in the interim. The Rockies have sustained a classic look and beat them all.

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

If they're intent on keeping the basic design of their wordmarks and colors, then this is really the only way to go.  IMO, "COLORADO" doesn't look great when written like that, and the purple fill would solve many of the problems I have with their home jersey, though it'd be better if they then changed the pinstripes to purple too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, NicDB said:

The White Sox use a bit of silver. I wouldn't complain if the Rocks used a similar amount. 

Seattle also uses silver trim as well.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

45 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If they're intent on keeping the basic design of their wordmarks and colors, then this is really the only way to go.  IMO, "COLORADO" doesn't look great when written like that, and the purple fill would solve many of the problems I have with their home jersey, though it'd be better if they then changed the pinstripes to purple too.

The pinstripes on the Rockies home uniforms are purple.

On 4/21/2019 at 11:33 AM, RyanMcD29 said:

I'm fine either way, though I prefer the piping whites a little more than the pinstripes. My ideal scenario would be if the Mets went back to the piping full time and had a '86 throwback for Sundays like they did 2016, but I wouldn't mind if they kept it the way it is now. For what it's worth, the blue alts are one of the best colored alts in the league when used in moderation, but the Mets just wore them way too often (especially the 2015 World Series) and I think we've all grown a fatigue of them.

See, I've written about this before, but my belief when it comes to road uniforms in particular is that the "protocol" for them developed in an era that we can't relate to in the modern day. Sanitary socks were worn because if Ty Cobb spiked you wearing colored socks, with the materials of the day, you could get poisoned from them. Gray uniforms were the choice of road color because washing facilities weren't so ubiquitous and gray hides grime and schmutz well. 

The first team to wear colored uniforms for a World Series game? The New York Giants...in 1905. Even worse, they only wore them in the World Series, not at any point in the regular season! Imagine something like that happening today, huh? Many people (legitimately; this isn't a "right vs. wrong" situation) get annoyed to see alternates worn in the playoffs to begin with; imagine breaking out an alternate for the first time on the grand stage, eh? My point is - I don't mind the concept of teams not just wearing colored uniforms but embracing them, because times have changed from what necessited original norms, and that despite that colored uniforms can be found all the way back to nearly the inception of the World Series itself. 

Now, I have some personal preferences of my own, namely, in that I think that white and gray pants are the best way forward because, unlike in football, colored pants don't seem to translate as well to baseball uniforms (though maybe it would be different if everyone wore high socks with a contrasting sock color, but that's simply not gonna happen so we have to work with what we've got). I also prefer teams wearing white jerseys at home, in general, though that's not a hard-and-fast preference. But for road uniforms? The Marlins used to wear their black jerseys all the time on the road, and it seems like the White Sox are doing that this year. You know what? I've always felt the White Sox had the best colored jersey in the league, so if they want to wear them as their de facto road primary, go right ahead. I would like to see them wearing their standard home uniform at Comiskey The Cell  home more, but the gray jersey is clearly the most boring of the three, so it should really be treated as such.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Digby said:

I mostly agree except that the White Sox have that beautiful "Chicago" script that deserves more airtime than it gets. Maybe they can lease it to the Bulls.

Since the black jerseys get so much use, just making a black with the script Chicago just seems like a fair concession to reality. 

MLB Updates Their Famous Batter Logo, Colours, and More

April 23, 2019 - 16:13 PM

Did you know Major League Baseball has a new logo this year? No, I’m not referring to the Marlins or Phillies, nor any of the other teams who have changed recently in the league, I’m talking about the league itself. […]

Read More...

Archived