2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I like the Cavalry answer, I swear there was something about Punch Imlach coming to coach and wanting some kind of revenge on Toronto by taking blue and then saying that it looks better with gold. 

If I find that story I'll add a link, but that's what I remember hearing

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

6 minutes ago, hockey week said:

As much as I like the Cavalry answer, I swear there was something about Toe Blake coming to coach and wanting some kind of revenge on Toronto by taking blue and then saying that it looks better with gold. 

If I find that story I'll add a link, but that's what I remember hearing

I had a book on NHL history made for the 75th anniversary that included that story. Something like "we took Toronto's uniforms and added gold because we're classier than Toronto."

Just now, IceCap said:

I had a book on NHL history made for the 75th anniversary that included that story. Something like "we took Toronto's uniforms and added gold because we're classier than Toronto."

I knew I heard it somewhere - though I edited my post, it was Punch Imlach, not Toe Blake. Obvious mistake.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

MapleLeafs19.pngSabres01.png

It's nearly the same uniform design. The Maple Wings of its time. Of course, it endured beyond the '67 Leafs set and became a classic in its own right, but they didn't really hide their brushstrokes here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, IceCap said:

And then Toronto copied Sabres by acquire again Tie Domi to have their own version of Rob Ray :D

4r2eer.png

14 hours ago, ebod39 said:

tom cruise what GIF

13 hours ago, Gordie said:

To me, the combination of the words 'Buffalo' and 'Sabres' evokes 1870's - 1880's U.S. Cavalry.

Without knowing the truth of it, I've always figured that the Sabres wore blue and gold because they were the cavalry uniform colours of that era.

Yep, me too. With the crossed sabres symbol appearing on cavalry hats, the color scheme calling back to those late 1800s cavalry uniforms, the classic crest's roundel feeling like a patch you'd see from that era, I figured they were referencing the U.S. cavalry. Maybe it's just coincidence.

Hat-With-Cord-Front-Angle_1024x1024.jpg?

1stCDHCD34.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

MapleLeafs19.pngSabres01.png

It's nearly the same uniform design. The Maple Wings of its time. Of course, it endured beyond the '67 Leafs set and became a classic in its own right, but they didn't really hide their brushstrokes here.

Two beautiful uniforms! Besides the gold, the Sabres did use a lighter shade of royal blue.

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

Yep, me too. With the crossed sabres symbol appearing on cavalry hats, the color scheme calling back to those late 1800s cavalry uniforms, the classic crest's roundel feeling like a patch you'd see from that era, I figured they were referencing the U.S. cavalry. Maybe it's just coincidence.

Pure coincidence.  

Sabres made a good call to re-use the classic colors full-time once again.

What I'm wondering is whether they'll tweak the logo up a bit, in a way like this one on the left:

sabres_2x.png

It's almost a given that they'll be using either straight up the classic uniforms or a slightly modernized version of the classics.

They need to use just the right amount of white.

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Sabres made a good call to re-use the classic colors full-time once again.

What I'm wondering is whether they'll tweak the logo up a bit, in a way like this one on the left:

It's almost a given that they'll be using either straight up the classic uniforms or a slightly modernized version of the classics.

They need to use just the right amount of white.

Icethetics posted a great article about the Sabres' transition. Using the classic logo, and using a blue that's not the original royal blue but still lighter than the current navy.

https://www.icethetics.com/news/buffalo-sabres-show-signs-of-returning-to-royal-blue

5 hours ago, ieatstaples said:

Icethetics posted a great article about the Sabres' transition. Using the classic logo, and using a blue that's not the original royal blue but still lighter than the current navy.

https://www.icethetics.com/news/buffalo-sabres-show-signs-of-returning-to-royal-blue

Icethetics Chris agrees that the Sabres should use the updated classic crest.

Here's his graphic that's an even better visual:

5ef7a239d727ead2fd4092b9_0627-buf-compar

When you really dig into the details here, there’s no comparison. The Sabres need to adopt the logo on the right. The anatomical improvements on the buffalo silhouette and the sharpness of the swords prove it.

---

If they use the 2020 colors with the 2018 logo, the Sabres rebranded primary logo will get a 10/10.

There you go. But lose the white outlines on the numbers. More than enough contrast between blue and gold, it'd look much sharper.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived