2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

I'll champion that if Tampa wants to emphasize blue, they need a distinct shade; royal+white is way too similar to Toronto visually. I'd love an electric blue Tampa jersey; it's not only distinct from the many uses of royal and navy in the NHL, but it also ties into the team name. What better color for the Lightning to use than electric blue?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On St. Louis here's where I stand:

• The red's bad. Too much looks very primary school/Fisher Price, too little (like those awful 80s sweaters) is just useless.
  • The navy's great. Makes the logo stand out (which it doesn't when the note is the same colour as the jersey) and makes the jerseys look a lot more interesting.
  • The modern note is much better than the old one. It looks solid and balanced and sharp. The old one looks spindly and crooked and delicate. 
  • The only problem with the current jerseys is the unnecessary blue line between the white and gold.

1 hour ago, Point1 said:
  • The modern note is much better than the old one. It looks solid and balanced and sharp. The old one looks spindly and crooked and delicate.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel about it. Although I could come around to it, it just always felt a bit old school flimsy to me. Crooked is a great description actually.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 7/13/2020 at 8:17 AM, andrewharrington said:

It depends on the jersey, because each one was hand cut and the stem being so thin often resulted in the surviving examples being a little warped and stretched, so some of them appear with a slightly tilted ball, but others look straighter. The league’s official vintage logos almost never match what was on the jersey, so that may be why the mothership has a different one. Generally speaking, when recreating crests from eras before computer-aided cutting, we try to maintain the compositional quirks from the past, but we don’t try to design wear and tear into it (not tryin’ to be Hollister over here). Often, we have to make a judgment call on where to draw that distinction, for example, in this case we kept the ball slightly tilted for reasons previously stated, but chose to make the stem and the staff lines clean and straight instead of warped, and I think the result was just right.

Interestingly, the more familiar form they use today has been the print logo for most, if not all of their history. This is from 1970:

Interesting, I wonder why the official winter classic logo decided to go in the direction it did. although inaccuracies like that are fairly common in throwback stuff

On 7/14/2020 at 3:29 PM, Point1 said:

On St. Louis here's where I stand:

• The red's bad. Too much looks very primary school/Fisher Price, too little (like those awful 80s sweaters) is just useless.
  • The navy's great. Makes the logo stand out (which it doesn't when the note is the same colour as the jersey) and makes the jerseys look a lot more interesting.
  • The only problem with the current jerseys is the unnecessary blue line between the white and gold.

The biggest mistake on the jerseys, both home and away, is the short-jersey look with the hem navy color blending into the pants.  I hate the look. I don't think many teams wear the baby-sized jersey style anymore, 'cept for Nashville's home.  It would be so much cleaner if they dropped the navy on the hem and sleeves.

On 7/14/2020 at 8:50 AM, Ridleylash said:

I'll champion that if Tampa wants to emphasize blue, they need a distinct shade; royal+white is way too similar to Toronto visually. I'd love an electric blue Tampa jersey; it's not only distinct from the many uses of royal and navy in the NHL, but it also ties into the team name. What better color for the Lightning to use than electric blue?

Similar shade of electric blue that the Orlando Magic use. Back when the Lightning joined the NHL during the BFBS era, I always wondered how neat it would have been if the Lightning wore electric blue sweaters and socks to go with their black pants and helmets.

6 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Similar shade of electric blue that the Orlando Magic use. Back when the Lightning joined the NHL during the BFBS era, I always wondered how neat it would have been if the Lightning wore electric blue sweaters and socks to go with their black pants and helmets.

I'd argue that when the Lightning joined in 1992, the BFBS era had yet to begin. The Senators wore primarily black when joining that same season and the North Stars had switched to black the season prior. However, most teams in all sports didn't darken colors or make the BFBS changes until later that decade.

That being said, I'd love to see the Lightning go to an electric blue uniform like that of their NBA neighbors down the road.

I have no problems with what the Lightning are currently wearing, but I also think a previous alternate jerseys of theirs could have worked as a primary.  Just switch out the dumb nickname word mark for the actual logo. And, get rid of any stupid piping.

spacer.png

On 7/14/2020 at 9:50 AM, Ridleylash said:

I'll champion that if Tampa wants to emphasize blue, they need a distinct shade; royal+white is way too similar to Toronto visually. I'd love an electric blue Tampa jersey.

Electric Blue would certainly make their (more or less) two-colour look easier to swallow but I still think the team got their colours right the first time.  A mainly black look with Electric (Hawaiian) Blue, white and silver highlights was the perfect representation of Lightning, colour-wise.

8 hours ago, Bmac said:

I'd also be down for navy or black + electric yellow. They have the opportunity to do something unique and instead look exactly like one of the sports' most classic teams.

Two of them, since they're using the Red Wings template, as well. 😛

On 7/15/2020 at 3:09 PM, riccirulesall said:

Interesting, I wonder why the official winter classic logo decided to go in the direction it did. although inaccuracies like that are fairly common in throwback stuff

Whatchu mean? I just told you why it went in the direction it did. 😛

Maybe you’re asking why the jersey logo was used for print as well? Really, it just doesn’t make sense to have different print and jersey crests in this day and age, especially when you’re designing and marketing a single event with two team identities and a limited apparel collection.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Someone on this board made this image to mock the Florida Panthers' new logo, and they accidentally created the best Lightning logo:

2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes - Page 87 - Sports Logo News ...

Make the arch on top white, and then it makes a subtle T. It's brilliant. But considering that the team they're copying is right next door, that's a problem

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

3 hours ago, hockey week said:

Someone on this board made this image to mock the Florida Panthers' new logo, and they accidentally created the best Lightning logo:

Make the arch on top white, and then it makes a subtle T. It's brilliant. But considering that the team they're copying is right next door, that's a problem

Something like this?  The Lightning filed this trademark in 2001.

spacer.png

For Tampa Bay, I think the minimalist white bolt is an upgrade to both of the grey circular primary logos they've used, before simplifying it all. The fonts in those old logos were never that great.

I'm also okay with a primarily blue uniform with only light use of black in the right areas, to make things pop on the jerseys and to make them look a lot more like the Tampa Bay Lightning a lot of fans grey up with. They could use black shorts and the Victory Stripes should be brought back. A slightly different striping pattern is needed too. Because they could do so much better than take the Red Wings home jerseys and use the fill tool to replace red with blue.

3 hours ago, M4One said:

Something like this?  The Lightning filed this trademark in 2001.

spacer.png

That's waaaay too flashy, but it is the point I'm trying to make.

I mean, this is a super quick and sloppy mockup that has no polish. Maybe silver drop shadow on the bolt, maybe the storm from the 90s jersey behind it, idk. But I think there's a real promise here that their current logo just lacks.

spacer.png

...but leave it to Florida to mess it all up, can't have both Florida teams wearing shields now, can we?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

12 hours ago, hockey week said:

Honestly some of those logos look pretty good. 

T1oYViW.png

11 hours ago, hockey week said:

That's waaaay too flashy, but it is the point I'm trying to make.

I mean, this is a super quick and sloppy mockup that has no polish. Maybe silver drop shadow on the bolt, maybe the storm from the 90s jersey behind it, idk. But I think there's a real promise here that their current logo just lacks.

...but leave it to Florida to mess it all up, can't have both Florida teams wearing shields now, can we?

The Lightning alternate logos on the shoulder is pretty solid, despite being a roundel

s-l300.jpg

Archived