2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, dannykraft said:

Personally I really don't mind their current set, just have them match and I think your set. 

Disagree, personally; it's well beyond time to ditch this set and go for something new for the Kings. It's a holdover from the Reebok template with the arm piping, and I think it's long about time to move on from that look; I wouldn't be shocked if they're using their Reverse Retro to test the waters on a rebrand back into purple and gold with the Gretzky-era jersey design; especially now, since it looks like their rebuild is coming along nicely. Would be a nice way to cap off a new era of the team to go with a new look.

10 minutes ago, OhioSportsMan61 said:

Definitely thinking reverse retro. I doubt they swap the red breezers for blue, that's been a franchise-long staple. 

That's what I'm thinking too, I guess wishful thinking. Never been a huge fan of them.

On 11/5/2020 at 10:17 AM, PlayGloria said:

2. LA Kings - This is a team with some classic looks, but they seem to refuse to acknowledge any of them. I would LOVE the purple to return, but if they insist on black and silver, they need to overhaul this entire team. Terrible logo, boring color scheme. Sad for a team that hasn't always had these issues.

The old black and silver was good, but yeah this current look is blah. 

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

On 11/6/2020 at 7:46 AM, VancouverFan69 said:

You couldn't be more wrong, sorry. How is the original Stick in Rink butchered?? It's hockey stick looks precisely like an actual hockey stick, the stick isn't crooked and the overall crest can very easily be inverted. The current updated version can't be inverted to make it stand out the whites and it's stick looks very cartoony.

My post has 6 likes, yours has none. Just sayin.

The hockey stick looks precisely like a hockey stick... ok, A. No it doesn't. B. Who cares, its a logo - ever heard of stylistic choices? C. The crest can be easily inverted... a logo shouldn't need to be inverted. I consider that to be a weakness actually. D. Looks cartoony - yeah maybe a bit, but heaps of NHL stuff has a slight cartoony bent and I think this thicker, whiter, more obvious interpretation of the rink and stick with a C looks fresh and I for one welcomed it. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

11 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Disagree, personally; it's well beyond time to ditch this set and go for something new for the Kings. It's a holdover from the Reebok template with the arm piping, and I think it's long about time to move on from that look; I wouldn't be shocked if they're using their Reverse Retro to test the waters on a rebrand back into purple and gold with the Gretzky-era jersey design; especially now, since it looks like their rebuild is coming along nicely. Would be a nice way to cap off a new era of the team to go with a new look.

I agree that the Kings need new uniforms, but I don't see them ditching the black and silver.  But, it wouldn't hurt them either to have a purple/gold alternate, particularly if it's just one of their old sets, or just use more purple with the black/silver colour scheme.  Definitely need to get rid of the font they use on the logo.

The new Stick and Rink, since it was brought up already, might need an inverse version for the road jersey but it definitely looks great on the homes and the pant shells.  Big improvement over the 07-19 version and the rather bare-bones original.

8 hours ago, TheGoldenTriangle said:

Can’t wait for “Hello, we are the Columbus Blue Jackets, here’s a Red jersey.”

Yup, either they unveil an actual blue, woolen jacket in place of a sweater or else nothing makes sense. 

Is this like the argument that some have made against the Patriots ever wearing red? Though, in this case Blue Jackets aren't even in opposition to the Red Coats. Their enemy wore gray. Even so, it's an alternate jersey so I won't necessarily be bothered by anything that draws from the team's colors. 

2 minutes ago, DPHF said:

Yup, either they unveil an actual blue, woolen jacket in place of a sweater or else nothing makes sense. 

Is this like the argument that some have made against the Patriots ever wearing red? Though, in this case Blue Jackets aren't even in opposition to the Red Coats. Their enemy wore gray. Even so, it's an alternate jersey so I won't necessarily be bothered by anything that draws from the team's colors. 

Could the blue pants possibly be a new third jersey that none of us know about?

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Could the blue pants possibly be a new third jersey that none of us know about?

Doubtful; they already have a third, and I don't see them ever dropping the cannon jersey because it's really popular among the fanbase.

12 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Doubtful; they already have a third, and I don't see them ever dropping the cannon jersey because it's really popular among the fanbase.

Im a Cbj season tix holder and you’re right about the thirds popularity, I’ve never understood though. The Jackets are the second youngest team in the league (at the time the youngest) we shouldn’t be using vintage white. Second I don’t think the design is very good, I could see the double working but the silver and vintage white do not work at all together and now the font completely clashes with the retro vibe. I’m also just against third jerseys that use completely different color schemes in general. I would actually really like the third jersey if it just used red and white instead of light blue and vintage white.

8 hours ago, dannykraft said:

Im a Cbj season tix holder and you’re right about the thirds popularity, I’ve never understood though. The Jackets are the second youngest team in the league (at the time the youngest) we shouldn’t be using vintage white. Second I don’t think the design is very good, I could see the double working but the silver and vintage white do not work at all together and now the font completely clashes with the retro vibe. I’m also just against third jerseys that use completely different color schemes in general. I would actually really like the third jersey if it just used red and white instead of light blue and vintage white.

Whole-heartedly agree. It always felt disingenuous for CBJ to use vintage white, being one of the youngest teams in the league. Not to mention I also didn't think much of of the design. All that combined with the fact that so many people seemed to love it just made me feel confused. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

2 hours ago, charger77 said:

Every site I look at has Kings Adidas jerseys on clearance (kinda like when all the Chicago jerseys went on sale because of the collar change), is this a sign of a change coming?

It could be an inventory issue as the Kings have been at the bottom of the standings the last couple years, and I assume (though not sure) that sales have been less than normal. 

But if they're making changes to improve the look, I'm all for it. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's probably just looking to clear stock out by discounting the price. You see teams discount jerseys on their official stores often, just to clear out some stock, doesn't necessarily mean they'll be rebranding.

I mean, I do expect we'll see them rebrand soon, especially if their Reverse Retro does particularly well. But this is just normal price cutting to rid of some excess stock.

Archived