Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You guys obviously didn't read the post, where he literally said that he didn't think it was racist or intentional, isn't offended by it, and thought it was just an unfortunate byproduct of applying the same template to everyone's logo without even looking or thinking about it.

Read before you criticize - and if you don't see the potential problem there, you're blind.  And literally nowhere have I seen any outcry abou tit.

But keep criticizing someone that you don't know and don't read.  Hell - just blast anyone who may be a little more culturally aware than you.

so woke!!!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Volt said:

so woke!!!

at least I read before commenting, and don't come into threads with an agenda.

Let me help out.  I'm curious what your feelings are about this once you read it - do you honestly disagree or have a problem with any of this, other than just the simple fact that PL wrote it?

Just to be clear: I’m not accusing the NFL, the Browns, or New Era of intentionally creating a blackface design, I’m not saying that the hat is racist, I’m not offended by it, I’m not outraged, blah-blah-blah. I’m just saying, well, it kinda looks like Brownie is in blackface — because it does! Not just because his face is suddenly black, but because the rest of his facial details are white, which

was a standard blackface trope. Obviously, that wasn’t anyone’s intent with this cap (just like the Padres didn’t intend to hide a swastika in their spring/BP cap logo) — it’s just an unfortunate visual effect. 

Speaking of, the real problem with this Browns cap is the exact same problem that tripped up the Padres: If you come up with some dumb-ass design template and insist on shoehorning every single team into it, you may end up with some unintended consequences. Stop forcing the dumb-ass design motifs and maybe there’ll be fewer unfortunate visual effects.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You guys obviously didn't read the post, where he literally said that he didn't think it was racist or intentional, isn't offended by it, and thought it was just an unfortunate byproduct of applying the same template to everyone's logo without even looking or thinking about it.

Read before you criticize - and if you don't see the potential problem there, you're blind.  And literally nowhere have I seen any outcry abou tit.

But keep criticizing someone that you don't know and don't read.  Hell - just blast anyone who may be a little more culturally aware than you.

The fact he mentions blackface then backtracks shows he's more interested in getting people to pay attention to a tweet and something that doesn't exist than simply discussing the hat.  Besides, aren't all of the draft hats black?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

35 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Obviously, that wasn’t anyone’s intent with this cap (just like the Padres didn’t intend to hide a swastika in their spring/BP cap logo) — it’s just an unfortunate visual effect. 

The quote is from Lukas’ article — and yes, I read this as his main point, not the “blackface” headline, but that unfortunately, in both the Browns and Padres caps there was an unfortunate side effect to the marketing that decided to fit everyone’s standard logos into a new design template without thinking of any side effects of doing so.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You guys didn't read the post...ahh it is about the clicks.

"I'm gonna create a controversial headline for clicks then shut down any possibility of my controversial headline being true".

If it wasn't racist or intentional...why even begin to make a fuss about it?

Most importantly, unintentional blackface is not a thing.  Nobody is accusing these guys of wearing blackface:

The decline of the UK Coal Industry - Economics Help

The fact that he thinks the Browns might be blackface but doesn't even discuss the Vikings hat is more reason to believe the argument is rather ridiculous. 

Minnesota Vikings Official Nfl Draft Low Profile 59fifty Fitted | Minnesota Vikings Football Caps | New Era Cap

edit: Took out most of my comments re: Lukas

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

"I'm gonna create a controversial headline for clicks then shut down any possibility of my controversial headline being true".

If it wasn't racist or intentional...why even begin to make a fuss about it?

This is exactly it. Most people only see the 1 tweet. It could have been worded differently, instead of just implying that the Browns are racist. 

It's classic Poster Syndrome: you feel as if your every passing thought is worth publishing. I mean, look at how many dumbass comments I toss off that I don't need to! A normal person would say "is that blackface? Wait, no, no it isn't. Hm, well, never mind. Anyway, hm." But we are not normal people! We are posters!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Volt said:

He’s the absolute worst.  Stuffed in too many lockers growing up.  

People like you were doing the locker shoving. Bullies never get a handle on why “nerds” feel the need to fight back. Yes, it’s clickbait-ish, but it’s a decent point about double-checking your work.

44 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Remember when I said that needless Paul Lukas trashing was going to be treated as a disciplinary matter because it drags convos off topic? Yeah. This is what I meant. Drop it. Everyone.

I'm the first to say he's not my favorite uni person, so I go elsewhere most of the time. but i don't know the guy personally and not gonna straight trash him.  I agree we gain nothing going down this rabbit hole. 

#DTWD #GoJaguars

OBJs girlfriend posted a picture with a browns helmet with a new and updated gray face mask. It doesnt look like a pre 2015 helmet the orange still still more brught. Take with a grain of salt. Just a small observation. Found the picture on brownswave on instagram

15 minutes ago, KingChandler said:

OBJs girlfriend posted a picture with a browns helmet with a new and updated gray face mask. It doesnt look like a pre 2015 helmet the orange still still more brught. Take with a grain of salt. Just a small observation. Found the picture on brownswave on instagram

Have to assume it’s not just an old helmet that he acquired...but the picture’s really grainy and tough to see a real difference in color or stripes from a 2014 helmet. 

7 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Have to assume it’s not just an old helmet that he acquired...but the picture’s really grainy and tough to see a real difference in color or stripes from a 2014 helmet. 

It's definitely a post 2015 helmet. The white and brown stripes are all the same width. Before the redesign the brown stripes were thinner. 

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The fact that he thinks the Browns might be blackface but doesn't even discuss the Vikings hat is more reason to believe the argument is rather ridiculous. 

Minnesota Vikings Official Nfl Draft Low Profile 59fifty Fitted | Minnesota Vikings Football Caps | New Era Cap

One difference between this and the Browns is the use of yellow here vs white, which is what makes it more reminiscent of old blackface cartoons.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The facemask color is not changing, at least not for the regular uniforms (they could always swap to gray masks for Color Rush). They’ve said the helmets are staying the same, they’re using the current logo with the brown mask on this year’s Draft hat collection, and earlier this offseason they installed new turf in their indoor practice facility which uses the current helmet logo with the brown mask:

That OBJ helmet is probably just a custom job or something for display purposes. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

One difference between this and the Browns is the use of yellow here vs white, which is what makes it more reminiscent of old blackface cartoons.

The Viking’s face is not yellow though. Only the hair is yellow on the hat and the regular logo. 

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Viking’s face is not yellow though. Only the hair is yellow on the hat and the regular logo. 

The outline of the 'black' face is yellow... or is it light tan?  I have a hard time even knowing what I'm looking at there.  Either way, there's hardly any black even showing on the face showing because of the 'stache and the shading lines. 

Honestly, the Vikings one is even more evidence that it's just a really poor design for a cap that defaults to each team's primary.  They'd have been way better off using alt logos for some teams - like the V logo for the Vikings.

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The outline of the 'black' face is yellow... or is it light tan?  I have a hard time even knowing what I'm looking at there.  Either way, there's hardly any black even showing on the face showing because of the 'stache and the shading lines. 

Honestly, the Vikings one is even more evidence that it's just a really poor design for a cap that defaults to each team's primary.  They'd have been way better off using alt logos for some teams - like the V logo for the Vikings.

The face is tan. Easy to see on a large version. “It’s ok because I don’t notice it” really isn’t the strongest rebuttal though. 

Archived