Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Pants are a simple fix, but I think we would have seen that by the first preseason game if it was happening this year. 

They've had those Color Rush uniforms and haven't been able to wear them for over 2 years. I guess not playing Cincinnati or Baltimore on Thursdays helps them to finally wear them. 

Other teams have worn color rush on Sundays in the past, so I'm sure they could have worn them if they wanted. For some reason they probably declined. 

They usually wear white all preseason and almost every game last year. Part of me wonders if they do that to see the player numbers better. Since last season they had so many rookies they might have wanted better visibility in game film? Just trying to think of some reason why they'd choose to be as bland as they can be.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/21/2018 at 11:09 AM, LMU said:

Speaking of stripes...

Are they keeping the stupid text below the pants stripes or is the rumor of redesigning the pants for this season still alive but that they're waiting for after the preseason?

if true, this will somewhat help....not perfect but it wont be awful

21 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Pants are a simple fix, but I think we would have seen that by the first preseason game if it was happening this year. 

Not necessarily, they might be using up the "old stock" before rolling with the new product for regular season.

16 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Other teams have worn color rush on Sundays in the past, so I'm sure they could have worn them if they wanted. For some reason they probably declined. 

They usually wear white all preseason and almost every game last year. Part of me wonders if they do that to see the player numbers better. Since last season they had so many rookies they might have wanted better visibility in game film? Just trying to think of some reason why they'd choose to be as bland as they can be.

They've routinely worn white at home for most of the year in the past. It's less based on visibility of numbers than tradition.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 8/20/2018 at 9:39 PM, VDizzle12 said:

I'm sure if they win a few games this year, it will probably be around until Hue Jackson is gone.

People like anything new. Fans loved the new Browns uniforms at first and now everyone hates them. I'm sure if they saw these helmets for a whole season people would have different opinions.

I still don't get how those uniforms were green-lit by the NFL in the first place. I liked the new shade of orange, the brown facemask, and the return of the orange pants...but the numbers on the brown jersey are impossible to see and the word down the leg stripe is just preposterous.

Hate to say it, but I have a feeling they will just go back to their boring throwback look. There's just not much they can do with such a bland uniform history without making a wholesale radical change like the Buccaneers did in 1997, or the Titans in 1999.

1 hour ago, Bluefalcon said:

I still don't get how those uniforms were green-lit by the NFL in the first place. I liked the new shade of orange, the brown facemask, and the return of the orange pants...but the numbers on the brown jersey are impossible to see and the word down the leg stripe is just preposterous.

Hate to say it, but I have a feeling they will just go back to their boring throwback look. There's just not much they can do with such a bland uniform history without making a wholesale radical change like the Buccaneers did in 1997, or the Titans in 1999.

1. It wasn't perfect, but there was nothing glaringly wrong with the Browns' "boring throwback look." It wasn't broken, but they destroyed it by trying to modernize it the way they did.

2. Check out the Concepts section of the board. Many of our talented designers have created concepts that slightly update the old look while keeping its soul, or fix the new look to make it a strong evolution of the brand.

There are a couple passable elements of the Browns uniforms (brown facemask, new orange, ability to mix and match, bolder shoulder stripes), and that makes the disastrous result even more frustrating.

Two words...money grab. It's getting to the point tough where some of these designs are so bad(all leagues), they put them out for a few years then return to something normal or return to what they had in the first place. BJ and Bluefalcon were right, the Browns should have not been touched. I wonder how may people own those terrible first year Reebok hockey jerseys. About half the teams in the league have different jerseys than the 2007 roll out. The only league that has looked its best overall is the MLB, other than Milwaukee,San Diego(brown please), and  Diamondbacks, I can deal with everyone else.

On 8/22/2018 at 12:26 PM, Bluefalcon said:

There are lots of great ways to maximize a relatively plain uniform tradition. The Steelers, Giants, and 49ers, to name just a few, have used traditional uniform elements but created modern classics. And the Browns have a number of historical uniform elements that are anything but stodgy, like their drop-shadow numbers (1946) and orange alternate jerseys (1953):

Xsq0566.png 7184849082_aabd6a6b99_o.jpg

If the Browns were to unveil a new uniform that was similar to their 2010-2014 set, but with a brown facemask, the new orange, drop-shadow block numbers, and alternate orange pants (instead of brown pants), that would instantly be in the top half of the league.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

My perfect uniform for the Browns: 

1) Keep the current shade of Orange/Brown

2) Keep the current helmet and Facemask

3) Remove the colored stiches on the jerseys

4) Move the stripe on the jerseys to be in the form of the classic UCLA stripes 

5) Make the stripe go from the waist to the bottom of the pants on the current set

6) Add striped socks to the uniform set

7) Keep the Brown/Orange/White Jerseys and Pants 

8) Change the number font to one solid color by doing the following: 

• White numbers on Brown Jersey
  • White numbers on Orange Jersey
  • Brown numbers on White Jersey

Done. 

spacer.png

43 minutes ago, nuordr said:

My perfect uniform for the Browns: 

1) Keep the current shade of Orange/Brown

2) Keep the current helmet and Facemask

3) Remove the colored stiches on the jerseys

4) Move the stripe on the jerseys to be in the form of the classic UCLA stripes 

5) Make the stripe go from the waist to the bottom of the pants on the current set

6) Add striped socks to the uniform set

7) Keep the Brown/Orange/White Jerseys and Pants 

? Change the number font to one solid color by doing the following: 

• White numbers on Brown Jersey
  • White numbers on Orange Jersey
  • Brown numbers on White Jersey

Done. 

You're pretty close but I'm not in love with the UCLA stripes idea. And I kinda like the shadowing on the numbers:

- White numbers with orange shadow on brown jersey

- Brown numbers with orange shadow on white jersey

- White numbers with brown shadow on orange jersey

However, I could live without the shadow. I do like the modern font, though. Which does qualify as an unpopular opinion around here.

3 hours ago, hugevolsfan said:

Drop shadows or up shadows whichever it is called for the browns I just can't stand... I have never seen a uniform with that element that if you changed just to outlined numbers it would instantly look better.

I agree that it’s a tough design element work with, and it often falls short, but I like the variety. Things get pretty stale across such a large league when the only options are solid color or outline. I like seeing a team with a drop shadow, a team with an inline, a team with a bevel, etc. The key to it all, though, is that they have to be well done to be effective, which isn’t always the case.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

e196c14c7eaa90ba38db987aa2c35079.jpg

There's your ***damned home uniform, right there.  No number outline bull****, no team nicknames down the pant legs, none of that bull****.  That helmet, that jersey with a white version for road games, and those ****ing pants.  In fact, even bring back real sleeves so that your offensive players can actually advance the ball via holding calls since they can't do it by advancing it downfield on their own.

End of list.

nav-logo.png

I think I might be the only person on here who despises the new shade of orange. About halft the time, it looks OK. But under certain lighting conditions, it looks almost red, and does not complement the brown at all.

I do like the current wordmark a lot and hope it sticks around. I actually wouldn’t mind that being used for jersey numbers.

As for 2020, I would be down for keeping a shadow or stroke around the numbers (as long as they do away with the orange numbers), but between today’s design trends and the outcry over the current set, I bet we see a return to single color brown-on-white and white-on-brown.

6 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

I think I might be the only person on here who despises the new shade of orange. About halft the time, it looks OK. But under certain lighting conditions, it looks almost red, and does not complement the brown at all.

I’m right there with you. I loved the old shade of orange. It was perfect. 

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

All the Browns need to do with the current set is reduce the stripes on the shoulders to just the shoulders, no chest stripes and remove the BROWNS from the pants and extend the pants stripe

Removing the cheap looking pointless contrasting stitching should always be a top three fix.

VDizzle12’s mockup earlier in the thread is near perfect, imo.

On 3/28/2017 at 7:57 AM, VDizzle12 said:

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 7.56.11 AM.png

•I like the current helmet.

•A fat Braisher stripe still looks good on the modern template.

•The lack of contrast between orange and brown kind of works in favor of the big college-style wordmark because it makes it a more subtle identifying mark juxtaposed with the crispy white numbers (No outlines?), which is all the Browns really need to make their jerseys unique to Cleveland. If any pro team can make the college-style wordmark work, it should be the Browns.

Archived