Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

7 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

No. The shoulder caps look bad with stripes. They were designed when the players actually wore sleeves. Sorry, but orange pants aren't an immediate hit with most fans either. Yes they are a throwback to some memorable times for older fans, but not today. Go with color rush, lighter orange and slightly lighter brown. Get rid of the red hue. 

And before someone says it, the color rush shoulder caps look more like a patter being two colors than that design. Which is 7 color changes from top to bottom. I. e. The color above a strip is different than the color below it. It becomes busy. Especially with the requirement to have manufacturers logos on them as well. 

Retire sleeve stripes or minimize its look tremendously. 

I'd disagree. If Iowa can fill the sleeve cap with a proper pattern that the Steelers should be using, sleeve stripes still work. The Steelers need to do what they did when Starter made the jerseyd and put the swoosh in the middle of the pattern like Seattle and Cincinnati do. I like the Color Rush kit, but not as an everyday look. There needs to be white in the jerseys and pants somewhere. 

8 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Shameless plug:

This would be a good secondary with white pants as the primary. And bring back striped socks!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Retire sleeve stripes or minimize its look tremendously. 

Or take a third option and make said stripes a sort of logo, a la Oklahoma State a few years back.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

2 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

So many current looks need striped socks! I really don't get it why more don't use striped socks.

Been saying that for years. Not exactly a hot take, but a very important one. Would solve the leotard problem

4 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

So many current looks need striped socks! I really don't get it why more don't use striped socks.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that teams seem to know by now that players have conceived so many different configurations for whats going on from the knee down that the most that teams can ensure is that there is a solid color down there. The Jaguars are the only team to introduce a unique sock design in a long time, but it was practically abandoned halfway through its first season since players would rather fill in the space with some space age tights and throw their traditional white sanitary socks in the trash. The glaring problem is that there are rules in place that should forbid any of this crap and keep the uniforms "uniform," but whoever is in charge of that is too cowardly to steer the players out of their comfort routines. Maybe once they actually decide to tighten down on that and force the players to all dress exactly the same, imposing a stiff penalty, will striped socks make a comeback.

Slightly unrelated thought, but I wonder what it would be like if teams were allowed to use custom colored sanitary socks as part of their designs. Teal sanis would look good on the Jags and would better fulfill the purpose of the tiny stripes that are bound to be forgotten.

24 minutes ago, Gupti said:

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that teams seem to know by now that players have conceived so many different configurations for whats going on from the knee down that the most that teams can ensure is that there is a solid color down there. The Jaguars are the only team to introduce a unique sock design in a long time, but it was practically abandoned halfway through its first season since players would rather fill in the space with some space age tights and throw their traditional white sanitary socks in the trash. The glaring problem is that there are rules in place that should forbid any of this crap and keep the uniforms "uniform," but whoever is in charge of that is too cowardly to steer the players out of their comfort routines. Maybe once they actually decide to tighten down on that and force the players to all dress exactly the same, imposing a stiff penalty, will striped socks make a comeback.

Slightly unrelated thought, but I wonder what it would be like if teams were allowed to use custom colored sanitary socks as part of their designs. Teal sanis would look good on the Jags and would better fulfill the purpose of the tiny stripes that are bound to be forgotten.

They've done this for the Pro Bowl so there's already a precedent.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, Gupti said:

...but whoever is in charge of that is too cowardly to steer the players out of their comfort routines. Maybe once they actually decide to tighten down on that and force the players to all dress exactly the same, imposing a stiff penalty, will striped socks make a comeback.

This is a pretty absurd take in my opinion. There is nothing cowardly about a league valuing the comfort and performance of players over the color of socks. I know we're in our own little bubble here but let's be reasonable. 

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I would love to see any evidence that pulling up white socks to cover the colors, or rolling socks down to expose their tights, contributes in any way to “the performance of players.”   That’s Reebok Edge-level nonsense there. 😛 

Performance no, but comfort I’d say so, wearing tights and a low cut sock do feel a lot more comfortable. Sanitary socks are an othdated piece of equipment that’s only used for asthetic purposes.

18 minutes ago, dont care said:

Performance no, but comfort I’d say so, wearing tights and a low cut sock do feel a lot more comfortable. Sanitary socks are an othdated piece of equipment that’s only used for asthetic purposes.

Low-cut socks are the least comfortable thing to wear on artificial turf. Getting rubber pellets in your shoes is one thing, getting them inside your socks is another, so I’d say today’s sock stylings are also “only used for aesthetic purposes.” It’s just an aesthetic from a different era.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

19 hours ago, patsfan5101 said:

This is a pretty absurd take in my opinion. There is nothing cowardly about a league valuing the comfort and performance of players over the color of socks. I know we're in our own little bubble here but let's be reasonable. 

“But if their sock color is bad than it makes me discomfortable!”

By the way nice avatar 🌊 

Excellent!

Aesthetics and performance are totally intertwined. For example, I can't imagine going for a run or playing tennis in low-cut socks. Absolutely not. I wear mid-calf white socks and white shoes always. If I had no mid-calf socks and had to borrow low-cut socks, it would definitely affect my performance! 

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Low-cut socks are the least comfortable thing to wear on artificial turf. Getting rubber pellets in your shoes is one thing, getting them inside your socks is another, so I’d say today’s sock stylings are also “only used for aesthetic purposes.” It’s just an aesthetic from a different era.

Which is why I said tights and a low cut sock. I rarely played on turf but when I did the pellets never really bothered me, the turf burn would though so I’d wear sleeves and tights when I knew I was going to a school that had turf.

56 minutes ago, dont care said:

Which is why I said tights and a low cut sock. I rarely played on turf but when I did the pellets never really bothered me, the turf burn would though so I’d wear sleeves and tights when I knew I was going to a school that had turf.

Tights don’t solve the problem, though. Crew length socks do.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, dont care said:

I never had the problem in my own experience.

I have the problem on a daily basis, as we practice on our artificial turf game field.. pellets get into my socks and I'm just a coach.. also, when I still played, I hated wearing low cut socks, turf or grass.. so, low cut socks aren't universally considered more comfortable

They’re fine for running, but they tend to slip off the heel when playing sports that require lots of start/stop/change direction-type movements. I still wore them despite that until I started regularly playing sports on turf. As soon as I started getting pellet spray inside my socks, I immediately switched to at minimum covering my ankle, but typically I go for crew length.

The funny thing is, when I was in growing up, crew socks were dopey and everyone wore no-shows. By the time I switched, the script was flipped. The outfit of choice for many kids and teens is athletic shorts, crew socks, and either sport slides or Birkenstocks.

10 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

The outfit of choice for many kids and teens is athletic shorts, crew socks, and either sport slides or Birkenstocks.

I don't want to live in this world.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/27/2017 at 6:31 PM, C-Squared said:

I know, I know, I'm a monster, but I still want to see this on their helmet some day...

469aeebb0e6f51d6df34449efc546aff.gif

Nope, leave the helmet alone!

Archived