2020 MLB Season

Dynasty

Now reading that the Marlins withheld information prior to Sunday’s game. They def discloses a couple of positive tests, but may not have been up front about the amount of contact tracing done, the amount of outstanding tests, and possibly  even some known positives. 

if even any of the info withhold is true, they should be expelled for the season and all teams be given forfeit wins over them. 

Same if any of the Phillies visiting clubhouse staff tests positive and it can be traced to that series. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Now reading that the Marlins withheld information prior to Sunday’s game. They def discloses a couple of positive tests, but may not have been up front about the amount of contact tracing done, the amount of outstanding tests, and possibly  even some known positives. 

if even any of the info withhold is true, they should be expelled for the season and all teams be given forfeit wins over them. 

Same if any of the Phillies visiting clubhouse staff tests positive and it can be traced to that series. 

they should but does MLB have the guts to do it.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

10 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

they should but does MLB have the guts to do it.

Well there's union issues too.

Just read on Twitter that the Nationals and potentially other teams are voting against traveling to Florida to play.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Well there's union issues too.

Just read on Twitter that the Nationals and potentially other teams are voting against traveling to Florida to play.

I get it. I'd totally do the same.

They can't, but they should be allowed to do so. What a freaking mess. I'm just going to enjoy watching games for as long as they play.

It's where I sit.

44 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

which brings up the question, if the season doesn't finish, what happens to player contracts and stats.

for contracts, would MLB try to use Force majeure when it comes to players contracts (saying we tried our best to have a season but the epidemic was out of our hands) 

If the season doesn't conclude, every player who's been at the ML level gets a full year of service time, I believe, irrespective of how much service time they actually accrued (so if you don't see your favorite top prospect called up, uh, that's probably why).

6fQjS3M.png

21 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

If the season doesn't conclude, every player who's been at the ML level gets a full year of service time, I believe, irrespective of how much service time they actually accrued (so if you don't see your favorite top prospect called up, uh, that's probably why).

which i think the players might not like.  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

I think it might matter if you were on the ML roster on opening day, not if you were on it at the time of the cancellation, so it shouldn't make teams shy away from calling up players.  I could be mistaken though - seems to be a complicated thing.

So far, 0 Phillies have tested positive, but 4 more Marlins have.

Phillies are now off until Friday.  Marlins will be off until next Monday, when they host.... the Phillies.

What the hell.  The Union has to step in here.  The Phillies should to refuse to go to Miami.  I know that the Marlins likely contracted it in Atlanta, but the combo of a team that already can't monitor and control itself and... well, Florida make it too risky of a situation.

EDIT:

Totally unrelated to the baseball situation, but relevant to a previous post exchange:  I took a nasal swab test last Thursday (July 23) and got the results today (July 28) so that's a 5-day gap, including weekends, for a non-priority test. Obviously not every area is the same and some are more backlogged than others, just sharing my experience.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So far, 0 Phillies have tested positive, but 4 more Marlins have.

Phillies are now off until Friday.  Marlins will be off until next Monday, when they host.... the Phillies.

What the hell.  The Union has to step in here.  The Phillies should to refuse to go to Miami.  I know that the Marlins likely contracted it in Atlanta, but the combo of a team that already can't monitor and control itself and... well, Florida make it too risky of a situation.

It's reassuring, I guess, that the outbreak seems confined to the team and isn't spreading wildly around the bases to other teams and umpires. Consistent with the science that prolonged close contact is the worry. 

But yeah, from the sports perspective, interstate travel and teams who can't get their acts together are nightmares. I thought it looked bad when MLS just entirely kicked out two teams but in hindsight, it plainly worked and made clear that temporary Death Penalty type acts might be the only way for leagues to do any of this while saving face. 

Is there not a protocol in that 113 page health guidelines manual for a situation like this?  I find it difficult to believe that either MLB or the union wouldn't have put in a plan should there be multiple positive tests on one team.  I'm disturbed that the decision to play on Sunday was made via a group text among the Marlins players and not through some sort of league level medical officer.  Seems irresponsible.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

It's reassuring, I guess, that the outbreak seems confined to the team and isn't spreading wildly around the bases to other teams and umpires. Consistent with the science that prolonged close contact is the worry. 

Oh for sure.  That's one positive that's come out of this, and it's not nothing.  Honestly it's what I expected based on listening to experts (as opposed to texting the shortstop to see what he thinks) but it's reassuring to see it play out.

They now said taht one of the vising clubhouse attendants tested positive, so while no Phillies players got it, at least one of their employees did.  There's no end to the amount of discipline the Marlins should face if it turns out that they didn't disclose absolutely everything.

1 hour ago, tp49 said:

Is there not a protocol in that 113 page health guidelines manual for a situation like this?  I find it difficult to believe that either MLB or the union wouldn't have put in a plan should there be multiple positive tests on one team.  I'm disturbed that the decision to play on Sunday was made via a group text among the Marlins players and not through some sort of league level medical officer.  Seems irresponsible.

It's beyond irresponsible, which is why I wonder if info was withheld. The manual simply can't be that open ended... can it?

I guess the flip side of the group text thing is that the Nationals players can do the same thing in order to collectively refuse to play in Miami, or at least they can make enough of a bluff to force some kind of less farcical approach to the whole thing.

8 hours ago, Cujo said:

EeEKG_4UEAYocCu?format=jpg&name=large

GIF version:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e474hz9t2zt2hez2kbpvi

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

My favorite part of this is how his viral video of breaking a window at his house was the set-up for this, months ago. Not a great pitcher but a genius storyteller in the vein of pro wrestling.I can't believe the Dodgers are my favorite team now. 

Archived