OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, colortv said:

Chargers just need time.

39 minutes ago, colortv said:

...they are destined to:

2. Have a reliable fan base and move plenty of merchandise.

The Chargers could win the next ten Super Bowls, and they would still struggle to gain a fanbase or a market for their merchandise in Los Angeles. Given realistic results, this will never, ever happen.

41 minutes ago, colortv said:

4. Stay in the market and begin planning their own stadium.

No Chargers ownership (not Spanos or anyone else) is going to try to build a new stadium in L.A. when they are absolutely certain that no one is going to come to that stadium. If a future owner is inclined to spend his money to build a stadium, then he will do so in the only place where he can get some return on investment, namely, San Diego.

47 minutes ago, colortv said:

The Chargers basically have a market from the Mexican border in the south to Santa Barbara in the North, stretching 230 miles North to South with 20 million people. 

Egad. To state that the Chargers have that vast swath as their market is absurd. They had San Diego as a market, and they pissed it away. Now what they have as a market is nothing. This is why the team's rooters are vastly outnumbered at every home game by fans supporting the opposition, even when the opposition is a team that does not have traditionally large travelling support.

51 minutes ago, colortv said:

Does it matter? As long as the money is green it doesn't make a difference to the bottom line.

Yes, it matters. Every NFL team makes money thanks to the league's revenue sharing. So the Chargers can certainly make money staying in L.A.

But the team does so at the expense of the perception of the league as a whole, on account of the guaranteed bad publicity and the unalloyed mockery associated with every Chargers home game. And this is only going to be worse in the new stadium than it was in the Galaxy's park. A league that is conscious of its brand image cannot tolerate this kind of embarrassment on an ongoing basis.

This, and not the bottom line as such, is going to be reason that Spanos will be forced out. And it is going to be the reason that the whole Chargers problem will be solved in a way that enhances the image of the league, which will be able to take credit for delivering the team back into the arms of its fans.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

21 minutes ago, colortv said:

Hopefully now that the cat is out of the bag and there is some backlash(perhaps partially because of the colors on the themed hat), the Rams will release it early in the real colors.

I think what’s on the front of the cap is a reasonable approximation of the real colors: navy and yellow with royal trim. The motto on the side looks like neon lights because that’s what all the teams are doing for their draft caps this year. 

I don’t at first glance care for it - but at least there’s yellow, and we know they won’t significantly change the helmet. I just hope the uniforms themselves aren’t too, um, “fire emoji”.

Also, the font is very Los Angeles. 

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Chargers could win the next ten Super Bowls, and they would still struggle to gain a fanbase or a market for their merchandise in Los Angeles. Given realistic results, this will never, ever happen.

No Chargers ownership (not Spanos or anyone else) is going to try to build a new stadium in L.A. when they are absolutely certain that no one is going to come to that stadium. If a future owner is inclined to spend his money to build a stadium, then he will do so in the only place where he can get some return on investment, namely, San Diego.

Egad. To state that the Chargers have that vast swath as their market is absurd. They had San Diego as a market, and they pissed it away. Now what they have as a market is nothing. This is why the team's rooters are vastly outnumbered at every home game by fans supporting the opposition, even when the opposition is a team that does not have traditionally large travelling support.

Yes, it matters. Every NFL team makes money thanks to the league's revenue sharing. So the Chargers can certainly make money staying in L.A.

But the team does so at the expense of the perception of the league as a whole, on account of the guaranteed bad publicity and the unalloyed mockery associated with every Chargers home game. And this is only going to be worse in the new stadium than it was in the Galaxy's park. A league that is conscious of its brand image cannot tolerate this kind of embarrassment on an ongoing basis.

This, and not the bottom line as such, is going to be reason that Spanos will be forced out. And it is going to be the reason that the whole Chargers problem will be solved in a way that enhances the image of the league, which will be able to take credit for delivering the team back into the arms of its fans.

You said nothing of substance to counter anything I said. You do not understand the financial realities of the real world.

A league that is conscious of its brand image cannot tolerate this kind of embarrassment on an ongoing basis.

You mean like allowing THREE teams to recently move?

6 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I think what’s on the front of the cap is a reasonable approximation of the real colors: navy and yellow with royal trim. The motto on the side looks like neon lights because that’s what all the teams are doing for their draft caps this year. 

I don’t at first glance care for it - but at least there’s yellow, and we know they won’t significantly change the helmet. I just hope the uniforms themselves aren’t too, um, “fire emoji”. 

Have we seen leaks of any other draft caps?

Just now, colortv said:

Just now, colortv said:

I’m not really the best one to ask about that. I don’t think there have been leaks of any caps with new logos besides this one, or it would have been blowing up this forum. I just saw someone else say that the neon was a league-wide thing for this year’s draft caps, and that makes sense given that the blue and yellow are clearly both different shades on the side than on the front. 

2 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I’m not really the best one to ask about that. I don’t think there have been leaks of any caps with new logos besides this one, or it would have been blowing up this forum. I just saw someone else say that the neon was a league-wide thing for this year’s draft caps, and that makes sense given that the blue and yellow are clearly both different shades on the side than on the front. 

They don't look different on the side. Look at the front of the hat in this pic:

1zuyqojyohl41.jpg

How many leaks like this have ended up being false? It seems like they're almost always real at this stage and I think we're perfectly justified in (over)reacting as if they are real. If it isn't real, then oh well, we're talking about sports logos so it doesn't really matter. Just don't carry this mentality over to things that actually matter.

Yikes. It's an ok alternate, it's fine as a primary for a brand new team, but good lord does this not match the Rams and what they represent. The charging ram was amazing and all they had to do was make it royal and yellow and then everyone would be happy, but nope, we get this hot garbage.

(In all honesty though, neon-themed draft caps for Vegas is kinda clever and I actually really like how the logo looks on the hat. Maybe when we see the full thing it'll be colored in a way that makes it better?)

the user formerly known as cdclt

23 minutes ago, colortv said:

A league that is conscious of its brand image cannot tolerate this kind of embarrassment on an ongoing basis.

You mean like allowing THREE teams to recently move?

A team moving is not in itself embarrassing for the league; and neither the Rams' nor the Raiders' moves qualify as an embarrassment. The Rams had massive grass-roots support pining for their return; and the Raiders will surely do very well in Las Vegas. 

By contrast, the Chargers' move is unique in resulting in a team going to a place where it is not wanted and where it goes so obviously unsupported.  There is no analogue to this sort of humiliation, not only in the NFL, but also in the recent history of any of the major sports leagues. The situation is intolerable and untenable.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I actually don't hate it, but it should NOT be a replacement for the primary logo spot. It'd work ok as an alternate, but the current Ram logo is miles ahead of this monogram. 

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

They have a bias. Of course they want to see the St. Louis arch in the new LA Rams logo. It helps them feel better about the fact that they lost the team back to the team's rightful city.

St. Louis has a massive, undeserved, victim complex regarding the Rams and Kroenke. I don't trust anything out of that city regarding that team.

Peter King's New York roots don't give a victim complex-driven bias against the Rams, their ownership, and their management.

Well, I believe your opinion is also just as invalid then. If you think that Kroenke moved the team to LA because it was their “rightful city”, you’re clearly too biased to be talking about anything Los Angeles related.

(I don’t really believe that BTW, you are entitled to your opinion. As are people from St. Louis or Manitoba.)

As to why the Rams are back in LA, the answer to that and all your other questions is money. Trust me on this, if Kroenke could have made more money in Anchorage, Alaska, they’d be the Anchorage Rams today.

Archived