Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

6 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Couldn't disagree more. The navy helmets were always dull. They stood out in a bad way. The horns always "popped" just fine on the royal blue jerseys, there was never any reason why they needed mismatched helmets to accomplish that.

I think they should've split the difference with the blues across the board. Lighter than the helmet, darker than the jerseys, and match everything to that shade. I also think a satin or matte shell with gloss horns would do more to make them pop than anything. This helmet and mask combo seems too busy.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, ramsker said:

I get what you're saying, but Nike even admitted the mistake, and said they will correct it. https://lakersnation.com/lakers-will-revisit-color-of-gold-nike-icon-jersey-amid-fan-complaints/2019/11/29/

I don't know, I'm reading the quote in that article, and it sounds to me as though Nike is not admitting there's a mistake in the current yellow (though clearly they also admit there was an issue in the 2018-19 season with the shade, though someone on the Lakers had to OK that, too), but that if the Lakers want a darker color like the pre-Kobe uniforms going forward that they will try to accommodate that wish:

“The most often complained-about thing is that the gold is wrong,” Lakers chief operating officer Tim Harris said. “The first year we had the Nike uniform the gold did look like a highlighter but Nike tells us the gold that we wear now matches the gold back in the early days of Kobe [Bryant]. What fans are upset about is the evolution of the color but we were told they have the gold back to what it used to be but a lot of people think it’s still too yellow so we’re going to look at that after the season.”

I still stand by my original point, which is that with all franchises, colors will evolve and change over the long-term. I doubt that there is any franchise, even the ones we think of as unchangeable classics, that haven't seen some slight change in coloring or logo or insignia or placement or some other design element over the long course of time. 

And yeah, I like the Lakers in a less bright yellow, too. And sorry to "Laker-jack" the topic.

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I've seen a few posts expressing this sentiment, and I completely understand. That said, I think the issue here is that the uniforms are so bad that these new helmets look great by comparison, even if they're also underwhelming. 

Or...people like things just because. I don’t mean to black out on you so don’t take this personally, but if I never see “they only like the thing I hate because...” again it will be too soon.

Can we also get “I don’t like something and I know I’m not alone” out the paint as well? Actually any opinion that has some type of quantity of people attached (“lots of people think...”/ “everybody...”/ “no one...”) can go.

You don’t need that to justify how you feel about something subjective in nature. Always comes off as “there are more people on my side, and therefore that other opinion is invalid.”

5 hours ago, El Scorcho said:

Whether it's better or not is entirely subjective, I won't even argue that point.

But in context, you're going to see it in yellow, on a blue helmet, being worn on a football field. It's going to read as the Rams helmet every time. The crescent moon part of the design isn't ever viewed in isolation, it's as part of a design that contains 2 stylised horns in a familiar horn shape on a football helmet.

I'll reiterate that the old horns were also abstract and aren't actually specifically any more reminiscent of rams horns than the new ones without context.

When I first look at the helmet now I see the crescent moon part first because it is segmented. Yeah I will know it is the rams but it still does not instantly say horn to me like the old one did. If the old one is abstract then that looks more like a horn than this one according to all the pictures I pull up of rams. I would agree with you if they were still connected but since they are not it leaves the interpretation that there is something else going on. I do not see a 3D horn either & really do not get why some say they do. To me the shading would have to be like the one on the previous Ram head if you wanted a 3D look not segmented half stripe half crescent moon.

10 hours ago, 1908_Cubs said:

I think the shade of blue is quite nice.  It's deep and vibrant.  It pops.  I like the blue.  But outside of that, I'm not entirely sure I agree.  I question the need for the segmented horn in general (I'm not sure what we gain with making it segmented over a continuous shape like previously?  Does making is segmented mean it's more modern?  Not being a pain, just asking questions outloud).  

I'm also not sure the new overall shape of the horn is better.  I know some of the extra curly-cue would become an issue on some of the designs of helmets today (and my guess is they eliminated it for this reason) in getting it around the ear hole, but it can also read as a crescent moon now.  The ram-horn was more clear with the added curl.

For me, it is an overall "meh, fine" helmet but it falls short of a home run.  What they gain in the vibrant and deep shape of blue (which, I do find myself thinking is a very nice shade) they lose on shape of the horn.  I'd agree it's the single best element of the uniform in a vacuum but it reminds me of the rest of their uniform; there's some fine changes but some of those changes hold back what could be a very nice uniform.  

this is one of the defining photos of the new uniform for me. i agree, the paint on the helmet is gorgeous. but everything about the horn just raises more questions. if they wanted a new horn shape to fit better on a modern helmet, did they really achieve that here? look how the decal is cut to make room for the chinstrap snaps, the way it overlaps the vent at the top, impeding a function of the helmet itself. and the application of the decal seems rushed at best with the bubbles. sure, they probably want to be able to swap decals in the future if they do a Fearsome Foursome tribute, but the tradeoff doesn't equal out. these horns should have been painted and i dont really see any reason to change the horn design other than to make it different than before.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 5/17/2020 at 11:06 AM, nash61 said:

In a vacuum, and for an expansion team, the Buffaslug UNIFORMS (sans logo and front numbers) were not terrible. The same goes for Fishsticks.

GettyImages-83576666.jpg

I agree with you on the Buffaslug jerseys. (Granted I liked them a lot more in 2007 than I do now.)

But I think the opposite is true for the Fisherman. In a vacuum I love that logo (could just be nostalgia, but IDC) but the wavy stuff, especially on the back with the name and numbers is horrible.

7 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

I'm disappointed at how well received the new helmet shade is. I've always been of the opinion that one of the best parts about the Rams' classic look is the navy helmets that make the horns pop

I’m getting used to the shade of blue—it’s not bad, it’s just that we’re used to navy helmets from the Rams. It’s like when you’re used to watching Michigan and then you see Delaware play. It’s a little jarring.

FB_Playoffs2018_MainPic.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

22 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

I’m getting used to the shade of blue—it’s not bad, it’s just that we’re used to navy helmets from the Rams. It’s like when you’re used to watching Michigan and then you see Delaware play. It’s a little jarring.

FB_Playoffs2018_MainPic.jpg

Do Deleware and Michigan have the wings as part of the paint or is it a decal? It seems that they are painted, and that leads me to wonder why the Rams haven't gone that way with the horns. 

6 minutes ago, ramsker said:

Do Deleware and Michigan have the wings as part of the paint or is it a decal? It seems that they are painted, and that leads me to wonder why the Rams haven't gone that way with the horns. 

They’re painted, they almost need to be for that design, horns aren’t easy to tape up and pant like that, decals are the easier option and make it so that the application and shape can be exactly the for every helmet. 

10 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i dont really see any reason to change the horn design other than to make it different than before.

Again, without making a judgement on whether this was the correct move or not, I think the new horn was designed as a device they could use across the entire identity to tie it all together. It's on the shoulders, it's in the numbers, it's in the logo, and I strongly suspect it'll be used in a lot of the branding around the stadium. I think their decision to go ahead with the change would have been with a view to using it more widely across the identity as they have. 

2 hours ago, El Scorcho said:

Again, without making a judgement on whether this was the correct move or not, I think the new horn was designed as a device they could use across the entire identity to tie it all together. It's on the shoulders, it's in the numbers, it's in the logo, and I strongly suspect it'll be used in a lot of the branding around the stadium. I think their decision to go ahead with the change would have been with a view to using it more widely across the identity as they have. 

But why couldn’t they do the same with the old horn, in fact they did, the old horn was in the helmet, shoulders, wordmark, and logo of the last set.

On 5/13/2020 at 11:42 AM, pitt6pack said:

Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-11.12.58-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-11.13.29-AM.pn

Looks like the Rams are preparing for ad space on their uniforms for the future ...

But why, WHY is there ANY reason at all to include yellow squiggly lines on top of the ad patch!? What's the point! With all the bad there is on these uniforms, this just makes no sense, and I cannot see any purpose for this at all. Why is it needed? What's the point? WHY? 

Why did the last Browns uniforms include contrast stitching?

22 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I've seen a few posts expressing this sentiment, and I completely understand. That said, I think the issue here is that the uniforms are so bad that these new helmets look great by comparison, even if they're also underwhelming. 

That should have a name: The Jags Effect...Where the helmet was so bad, I sometimes felt it let to praise of a bad uniform.

I have to admit, I LOVE the color scheme of the helmet...I just think the updated horn is really unnecessary. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The white just looks so bad on the bone uniform.  It's like when a middle-aged person gets one false tooth.  That tooth's whiteness sticks out like a sore thumb against the other teeth, marked by 40 years of coffee and other food and drink.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

18 hours ago, JLJ said:

Or...people like things just because. I don’t mean to black out on you so don’t take this personally, but if I never see “they only like the thing I hate because...” again it will be too soon.

Can we also get “I don’t like something and I know I’m not alone” out the paint as well? Actually any opinion that has some type of quantity of people attached (“lots of people think...”/ “everybody...”/ “no one...”) can go.

You don’t need that to justify how you feel about something subjective in nature. Always comes off as “there are more people on my side, and therefore that other opinion is invalid.”

I don't disagree with your point in general, but I'm not really sure what that has to do with what I posted. I was just suggesting that, in a uniform set with so many flaws, it stands to reason that the least disappointing feature might look good compared to the most disappointing ones. I'm not invalidating anybody else's viewpoint or speaking for a whole. This was my experience with this uniform set: I was so distracted by the terrible uniforms that I gave the mediocre helmet a pass. 

6 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

That should have a name: The Jags Effect...Where the helmet was bad, I sometimes felt it let to praise of a bad uniform.

I have to admit, I LOVE the color scheme of the helmet...I just think the updated horn is really unnecessary. 

Yes! That's a great comparison. (Even if I didn't completely hate those Jags uniforms.)

7 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

That should have a name: The Jags Effect...Where the helmet was bad, I sometimes felt it let to praise of a bad uniform.

The Buccaneers numbers had the same effect. We had a lot of posts about how the uniform would be pretty good if they just changed the numbers. 

3 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Buccaneers numbers had the same effect. We had a lot of posts about how the uniform would be pretty good if they just changed the numbers. 

Agreed.  They were the worst part in what was otherwise a pile of crap. Everything about that was a downgrade but the numbers still all the focus.

POTD (Shared)

14 hours ago, dont care said:

They’re painted, they almost need to be for that design, horns aren’t easy to tape up and pant like that, decals are the easier option and make it so that the application and shape can be exactly the for every helmet. 

It seems like Colorado State paints theirs on. The only reason I can think of would be they want the option to change the colors of the horns when wearing throwbacks. 

spacer.png

Archived