Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

I don't hate that they went unconventional for the white/away jersey, base color I hate the fact that they chose a wonky number font when the traditional block number font would have looked so much better

I agree, in principle. But the execution here is just abysmal. Instead of traditional white, they pick a color that looks either tan (the retail version) or dirty white (in better light). An unconventional color should be interesting. It shouldn't look like a mistake. 

It really feels like a short-term embrace of a color trend. We're probably going to see a whole slate of sneakers, basketball uniforms, golf polos, etc., in "bone" as Nike continues to force unwanted design aesthetics upon the world. (Yeah, yeah, can't blame Nike, team signs off on it, blah blah blah.) 

And "short-term" is the operative word here. I think someone said it better earlier in this thread (at this point, let's face it: we're just recycling opinions on this uniform by now anyway): there's no way these were ever designed with the expectation of becoming an enduring classic. This is a short-term play to stay on the edge of trends that will evaporate within three to five years, when the Rams can pull a Browns/Bucs and return to the classics.

It's replacing make-me-a-stadium-or-we'll-move-to-L.A. as the new sports ownership grift. 

(Apologies: I appear to be getting angrier the more I see these uniforms.)

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Bruhammydude said:

The Rams new road uniforms are confusing me. So the main color is gray, as you can see here:

But on retail it looks almost tan-ish?ff_3689252-77d708bc54947e5564bdalt1_full.jpg&w=900 

Very confusing, is it tan, or am I just coo-coo?

Never trust a Fanatics photoshop when judging colors.  Ever.

11 hours ago, Bruhammydude said:

The Rams new road uniforms are confusing me. So the main color is gray, as you can see here:

But on retail it looks almost tan-ish?ff_3689252-77d708bc54947e5564bdalt1_full.jpg&w=900 

Very confusing, is it tan, or am I just coo-coo?

I think it is supposed to be a little tan-ish.

That patch looks 100x worse than I originally thought.  It's one thing if it's a logo, like the dumb LA, but to simply say "Los Angeles Rams" makes it look like a label that's supposed to be removed.  It's insulting to have to have the name like that, and having it on a white patch like that kinda ruins the fashion aspect of it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think it is supposed to be a little tan-ish.

That patch looks 100x worse than I originally thought.  It's one thing if it's a logo, like the dumb LA, but to simply say "Los Angeles Rams" makes it look like a label that's supposed to be removed.  It's insulting to have to have the name like that, and having it on a white patch like that kinda ruins the fashion aspect of it.

I think the use of white period on the "bone" uniform elements is overall insulting. Either go the whole way with it or just do a white away uniform. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

5 hours ago, O.C.D said:

I don't hate that they went unconventional for the white/away jersey, base color I hate the fact that they chose a wonky number font when the traditional block number font would have looked so much better

I don’t hate that they went unconventional for the light jersey. I DO hate that they’re trying to make both white and yellow contrast with bone. There should be zero white. Zero. And yellow should be touching blue at all times. 

My guess is the small amounts of white on the light gray jersey are added (and intensionally placed egde-on to the light gray) as a way to show that this jersey is purposely a unique color. One of the things that comes up a lot when discussing the Seahawks or Patriots gray jerseys is that they look like dirty or dingy white uniforms. Having pure white present on the light gray jersey might be there to dispell that impression.

Not that it'll work, mind you.

31 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

My guess is the small amounts of white on the light gray jersey are added (and intensionally placed egde-on to the light gray) as a way to show that this jersey is purposely a unique color. One of the things that comes up a lot when discussing the Seahawks or Patriots gray jerseys is that they look like dirty or dingy white uniforms. Having pure white present on the light gray jersey might be there to dispell that impression.

I find myself liking the gray uniforms more than the white uniforms.

I’m not sure if the Rams opting for a non-white uniform is a precursor to anything, but I think this could lead to some teams choosing to forgo white uniforms for cream/off-white, light gray, or “bone” uniforms. Arguably most would be for the better.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That makes sense to me.

I've also been thinking about how the white patch reminds me of other similar applications of fashion. Here's those two colors operating in a pretty similar matter, also from Nike:

nike-clot-air-max-1-kiss-of-death-net-de

Patagonia has long set off their logo in a block:

NVBL.jpg

In contrast to most of their products, some of the North Face's more fashion-forward products set off their logo, whether it's legibility or just to draw attention to it:

northface-trotwood-insldt-ski-jkt-tnfblk

DAPUBLTN.jpg

Supreme has built it's brand on a contrasting logo in a box:

03e9074f803553265303d350a5c4efcf--suprem

And here's an example of the North Face and Supreme doing it together:

supreme-the-north-face-ss20-drop-2-5.jpg

I know that the key difference is a lot of those example are high contrast black on another color, but the style idea/inspirtation seems pretty similar to me.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 hours ago, O.C.D said:

That flat laydown is a tailored game jersey, so that’s the color, but it was clearly taken indoors, so it may have an artificially warm cast. It’ll likely change depending on the venue. Those studio lights above take a lot of warmth out of the color, I’m guessing because they’re more of a neutral “sunlight” color. My guess is they’ll be closer to the studio shots on TV, but we’ll see.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

6 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Saw that today. It's not good, but it looks better there than it did in the studio

It's a Photoshop. What does it matter how it looks?

It's where I sit.

7 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Supreme has built it's brand on a contrasting logo in a box:

03e9074f803553265303d350a5c4efcf--suprem

This is exactly why they did it. Some goober on their design team was probably super into the culture and figured that to be "TRULY LA" the team needed to do that. Make the jersey look like Off White and Supreme stuff! Hell yeah! That's not gonna be stupid!

A skateboard brand has influenced an NFL uniform. Think about that.

bSLCtu2.png

11 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

This is exactly why they did it. Some goober on their design team was probably super into the culture and figured that to be "TRULY LA" the team needed to do that. Make the jersey look like Off White and Supreme stuff! Hell yeah! That's not gonna be stupid!

Of course it was a LA team that would embrace rich culture on their uniforms

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

10 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Wow, organizations are now taking inspiration from companies outside of their industry? How can they sleep at night?

This happens literally all the time. I’m not a fan of the Rams new logos or uniforms, but being inspired by different things is not the problem here.

There’s probably a parallel universe where the Rams pull it off and become the Juventus of the NFL... unfortunately, that’s not this universe.

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I think a lot of the hypebeast movement is past its sell-by date, so it might just be the perfect timing for the NFL to hop on.

TIL I learned Supreme is a skateboard brand; I've always known it as streetwear for the sake of streetwear -- which itself makes complete sense as an influence in LA's NFL uniform.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, GFB said:

There’s probably a parallel universe where the Rams pull it off and become the Juventus of the NFL... unfortunately, that’s not this universe.

There was a rumor floating around in recent days claiming scientists discovered evidence of a parallel universe in which time operated in reverse. At least our Rams have cohesion and are in their rightful location, while the parallel universe’s Rams are stuck with a mismatched set for a few years before heading to St. Louis for a couple decades. 

23 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Looks like a bad 1990’s screen printing job from your local sporting goods store...brutal.  

Falcons:  “Watch us FAIL as we introduce a gradient jersey!”

Rams:  “Hey Nike!  We need to one-up THAT!”

This is what bothers me about Nike. They are supposed to be innovative but it is like they brought back an element that was dead and gone and are acting like it some new thing. These gradient elements would have been innovative 15 years ago.

Archived