Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

11 hours ago, Lights Out said:

spacer.png

I guarantee nobody would have been offended by something like this as the new look.

I made a madden mod like that yellow one, but in navy. I also did a home jersey. I think it looks better in royal, like you did.

spacer.png

spacer.png

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I’ll do ya one better: why not just update the 1999 St. Louis look with royal blue helmets, a yellow alt jersey, and white alt pants. Boom, you’re set. Easily top 5 in the league. But Nike gonna Nike if the team doesn’t talk them out of it, and in this case Kroenke and Demoff evidently encouraged them. 

Kroenke is mostly hands off. Just like some old school CEO, Owners, presidents, etc, they were hands off.

3 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

Kroenke is mostly hands off. Just like some old school CEO, Owners, presidents, etc, they were hands off.

So hands off that he deliberately tanks the team in order to move it back to Los Angeles to begin with. 😜

11 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I’ll do ya one better: why not just update the 1999 St. Louis look with royal blue helmets, a yellow alt jersey, and white alt pants. Boom, you’re set. Easily top 5 in the league. But Nike gonna Nike if the team doesn’t talk them out of it, and in this case Kroenke and Demoff evidently encouraged them. 

Didn’t realize somebody else had already posted exactly that...

18 hours ago, Lights Out said:

spacer.png

I guarantee nobody would have been offended by something like this as the new look.

Change the numbers to block & make the white sleeves yellow on the alternate and this would be perfect.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:19 PM, Red Comet said:

I get that there is structural changes in uniforms. No one can or should expect things to look exactly the same forever. Still, there's a reason (and a very good one) that the Yankees didn't have Rainbow Guts in the 70s and the Astros did. The Yankees even by the 70s had a strong identity while the Astros at that point were known more for where they played than what they played.

Thoughtlessly mucking around with brand identity destroys brand equity and when you're a company marketing a product (and let us not forget for a second that sports teams are companies at the end of the day), brand equity is as or even more important than the product you're selling itself. 

And when you're a team that has as long of a history as the Rams have had, brand equity is going to be a lot more important than if you're the Houston Texans. 

and yet, there is a great love of the rainbow Astros jerseys by a large portion of their fans. 

when the Seahawks came out with their modern uniform, I wasn’t a fan at all, but now I appreciate the uniqueness of it. 

Ive been a Rams fan since the early 1970’s. Hated the St Louis update to colors and design with a passion, and have played with their look over the past few years, even having one of my mock-ups only a Rams fan-site. 

The shoulder treatment on the modern uniform cut is a challenge to not just become a small 2000’s swoosh knockoff.  So I appreciate how they did it, not the 70’s over the top look, but it makes sense from a design standpoint. 

The bone color... I’d have preferred the white with blue and gold sleeves... but I can live with it. 

Lets see what the next two years bring in terms of alts. I’d expect one to be a throwback to that old road look, and another to be something else (I just can’t bring myself to say St. Louis look)

lastly the helmet. I think with the crazy differences in helmet shapes today, that horn just works. It’s got great weight and I can even live with the separation. I don’t love it. But it is better than that navy, white, thing they’ve been wearing. 

2 hours ago, FFWally said:

and yet, there is a great love of the rainbow Astros jerseys by a large portion of their fans. 

when the Seahawks came out with their modern uniform, I wasn’t a fan at all, but now I appreciate the uniqueness of it. 

Ive been a Rams fan since the early 1970’s. Hated the St Louis update to colors and design with a passion, and have played with their look over the past few years, even having one of my mock-ups only a Rams fan-site. 

The shoulder treatment on the modern uniform cut is a challenge to not just become a small 2000’s swoosh knockoff.  So I appreciate how they did it, not the 70’s over the top look, but it makes sense from a design standpoint. 

The bone color... I’d have preferred the white with blue and gold sleeves... but I can live with it. 

Lets see what the next two years bring in terms of alts. I’d expect one to be a throwback to that old road look, and another to be something else (I just can’t bring myself to say St. Louis look)

lastly the helmet. I think with the crazy differences in helmet shapes today, that horn just works. It’s got great weight and I can even live with the separation. I don’t love it. But it is better than that navy, white, thing they’ve been wearing. 

I used the Astros as an example not because I thought the Rainbow Guts looked bad (on the contrary, I think they're classics) but rather as a way of saying that newer franchises have more room to be creative without triggering a massive backlash that would poison the well before anyone would get the chance to appreciate said uniforms (see the Bucs and Browns former designs). 

As for the Rams new uniforms, I do like the new color scheme (aside from bone and the gradient), but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I used the Astros as an example not because I thought the Rainbow Guts looked bad (on the contrary, I think they're classics) but rather as a way of saying that newer franchises have more room to be creative without triggering a massive backlash that would poison the well before anyone would get the chance to appreciate said uniforms (see the Bucs and Browns former designs). 

As for the Rams new uniforms, I do like the new color scheme (aside from bone and the gradient), but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

New color scheme is spot on. 

Maybe “Bone“ becomes a secondary in the long run. 

I’m a traditionalist, but don’t dislike the bone nearly as much as I do the Pats Red Blue Red stripes on the white jersey. 

let’s see how they look on the field. 

This likely won't register, but a long, long time ago (maybe a decade?) there was a story about the future of football uniforms. The illustration was an ultra-sleek blue and yellow uniform that looked far more like a superhero costume than a football uniform (at that time).

Does that ring any bells? I've done some web searches but can't find anything.

My goal is to compare that far-off proposal to what the Rams unveiled this year. In my mind's eye, they're pretty close.

EDIT: found this in my searches -- it's kind of funny: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-uniform-changes-detroit-lions-recent-years-ranking-best-worst-league-041417

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

44 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

This likely won't register, but a long, long time ago (maybe a decade?) there was a story about the future of football uniforms. The illustration was an ultra-sleek blue and yellow uniform that looked far more like a superhero costume than a football uniform (at that time).

Does that ring any bells? I've done some web searches but can't find anything.

My goal is to compare that far-off proposal to what the Rams unveiled this year. In my mind's eye, they're pretty close.

EDIT: found this in my searches -- it's kind of funny: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-uniform-changes-detroit-lions-recent-years-ranking-best-worst-league-041417

I believe this may have been part of big hardcover book the NFL put out in 1995 in celebration of the league's 75th anniversary. 

8 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I believe this may have been part of big hardcover book the NFL put out in 1995 in celebration of the league's 75th anniversary. 

That's the one that I remember and it was basically an aerodynamic body suit with a fully enclosed helmet almost like a downhill/speed ski suit. I think the color pattern was a futuristic take on an image of red grange in a blue and orange striped sweater that was the inspiration of their 75th anniversary throwback.

45 minutes ago, guest23 said:

That's the one that I remember and it was basically an aerodynamic body suit with a fully enclosed helmet almost like a downhill/speed ski suit. I think the color pattern was a futuristic take on an image of red grange in a blue and orange striped sweater that was the inspiration of their 75th anniversary throwback.

That's exactly it! Is that from the NFL 75th anniversary book @gosioux76 mentions?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

27 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Yes I believe it was that book.

It sure was! I was able to look through the book online via the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/75seasonscomplet00mcdo/page/314/mode/2up

All that said, what do we think?

"What if?" concept from 1995:

jjNEZgf.png

2020 LA Rams:

screen-shot-2020-05-13-at-11.26.40-am.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-11.03.43-AM.pn

For fun, the accompanying text:

hrQLPIH.png

Archived