Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

38 minutes ago, the admiral said:

He means the slow-burn transition of Tennessee Oilers during the temporary stadiums and then the full rebranding with the new stadium. I get it, but it's throwing money away and it's bad public relations. Do you really want to emulate a Bud Adams franchise? We all know what the endgame is, so cut the crap and give the people what they want, which is the L.A. Rams looking like the L.A. Rams. The uniforms won't be any better because they're synchronized with starting in Inglewood. If anything, they'll be better as soon as possible because that gives you the classic Rams colors in the Coliseum for a little while.

That's what they've been doing on the field for the last 4 years, so why not off the field as well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So anybody watch the premiere of the new season of Hard Knocks? Rams' current colors don't look as bad in that Cali sun. Not saying they shouldn't switch over to the original colors asap, but it's not as painful as I thought it would be. 

42 minutes ago, worcat said:

To any residents of the LA area, I'm directing this question to you. Seriously and not trying to make any jokes or anything from it.

Are there any plans set for the LA Rams to address any of their time spent in St. Louis once their new arena opens? Will they have any reference to the time in STL, accomplishments, Superbowl, retired numbers etc? Or will it just be noted as "Rams" accomplishments leaving off where they occurred? Just curious.

There have been some local publicity type events that I believe featured warner and faulk so I think they will acknowledge players from the stl era but you will never hear any mention of the city of st louis ever and I don't expect to hear stl ever mentioned in the future.

Once this fell through after already losing the cardinals the city should have never recieved another team. LA/Oakland/SD need to start building new stadiums so these teams don't leave. Not many cities can support NFL franchises like major metro areas St. Louis is baseball and hockey before anything else. 

image.gif

3 hours ago, guest23 said:

There have been some local publicity type events that I believe featured warner and faulk so I think they will acknowledge players from the stl era but you will never hear any mention of the city of st louis ever and I don't expect to hear stl ever mentioned in the future.

I'm fine with that. Thanks for the info. I just didn't know if they (LA Rams) would have a banner that said Rams Superbowl Champions or St. Louis Rams Superbowl Champions etc. I didn't know how far this disconnect would be from the STL area would be. Keep me updated if possible, it's kind of interesting to see how far they disconnect themselves.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

6 hours ago, worcat said:

I'm fine with that. Thanks for the info. I just didn't know if they (LA Rams) would have a banner that said Rams Superbowl Champions or St. Louis Rams Superbowl Champions etc. I didn't know how far this disconnect would be from the STL area would be. Keep me updated if possible, it's kind of interesting to see how far they disconnect themselves.

I'm sure they will have a banner for the Super Bowl champions.  Just as I'm sure the trophy will be on display, and the retired numbers will be on the wall, etc.  They won't pretend St. Louis never happened, but neither will they vigorously promote it.

That's kind of the way it goes.  The Colts don't spend much time talking about Baltimore.  I doubt the Braves exert much effort reminding their fans they were once in Milwaukee.  And the Dodgers didn't give a fig about Brooklyn until Brooklyn became incredibly marketable.

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

He means the slow-burn transition of Tennessee Oilers during the temporary stadiums and then the full rebranding with the new stadium. I get it, but it's throwing money away and it's bad public relations. Do you really want to emulate a Bud Adams franchise? We all know what the endgame is, so cut the crap and give the people what they want, which is the L.A. Rams looking like the L.A. Rams. The uniforms won't be any better because they're synchronized with starting in Inglewood. If anything, they'll be better as soon as possible because that gives you the classic Rams colors in the Coliseum for a little while.

Exactly! (to the first half)... as far as rushing the change just to have classic colors for a while, exactly how much money is that worth? More to the point, how much should it cost? I have seen jerseys go from $100 to literally $5 on clearance racks overnight because the wrong name is on the back. The physical value of most merchandise is very low - context and demand dictate the value. Why would an NFL owner purposefully devalue existing merchandise? Surely not for the novelty of putting his team in different colors. The Rams can transition fans towards their new style while still charging full price for current inventory - that is a win-win... plus the merch boom that hits whenever a team rebrands or refreshes... win-win-win.

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

The Rams can transition fans towards their new style while still charging full price for current inventory - that is a win-win... plus the merch boom that hits whenever a team rebrands or refreshes... win-win-win.

Why do normal people talk like this with the implicit message that it is good?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

24 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

Exactly! (to the first half)... as far as rushing the change just to have classic colors for a while, exactly how much money is that worth? More to the point, how much should it cost? I have seen jerseys go from $100 to literally $5 on clearance racks overnight because the wrong name is on the back. The physical value of most merchandise is very low - context and demand dictate the value. Why would an NFL owner purposefully devalue existing merchandise? Surely not for the novelty of putting his team in different colors. The Rams can transition fans towards their new style while still charging full price for current inventory - that is a win-win... plus the merch boom that hits whenever a team rebrands or refreshes... win-win-win.

I've mentioned this earlier but will reiterate, good marketers will look at the net impact of making a switch and make the decision on the net benefit. If your research/forecast of selling new merch significantly exceeds the cost of liquidating or even destroying existing inventory you make the switch every time. With Product categories like apparel the practice is so commonplace you have an entire second run channel/market devoted to offloading stuff that you can't sell at primary retail. Nike's entire business model is based on launching/relaunching products every single season and offloading stale product, they would have been 100% behind another complete relaunch for the return to LA coliseum period and would be more than eager to launch another redesign/campaign for the Inglewood move.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Why do normal people talk like this with the implicit message that it is good?

I have a masters degree in marketing, run a clothing store, and used to wrestle professionally -  I see people only as “end-users” and marks.” I was human once, I swear.

FYI, we are talking about a publicly-traded company that answers to stockholders and reflecting on these business decisions as means to a (divid)end, not how “normal people” should feel about how they achieve those goals.

2 hours ago, guest23 said:

I've mentioned this earlier but will reiterate, good marketers will look at the net impact of making a switch and make the decision on the net benefit. If your research/forecast of selling new merch significantly exceeds the cost of liquidating or even destroying existing inventory you make the switch every time. With Product categories like apparel the practice is so commonplace you have an entire second run channel/market devoted to offloading stuff that you can't sell at primary retail. Nike's entire business model is based on launching/relaunching products every single season and offloading stale product, they would have been 100% behind another complete relaunch for the return to LA coliseum period and would be more than eager to launch another redesign/campaign for the Inglewood move.

Just because Nike has outlets for liquidating stale inventory does not mean it makes fiscal sense to purposefully devalue existing product. I would argue that relocation alone has refreshed the brand, as old items are now new to a new Los Angeles market that was not buying St. Louis gear in 2015.

Neither Nike nor the Rams is losing out by waiting to refresh, and I would go so far as to argue that both will milk this transition to make even more money than they would with an immediate refresh... the Oilers sold a wave of “new” jerseys to fans in Tennessee, than sold a second wave of uniforms to the same fans as the Titans... the Rams can cash in on home/away/color rush/throwbacks in the short term, then double-dip on all the fans with whatever they roll out in a few years from now.

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

Neither Nike nor the Rams is losing out by waiting to refresh, and I would go so far as to argue that both will milk this transition to make even more money than they would with an immediate refresh... the Oilers sold a wave of “new” jerseys to fans in Tennessee, than sold a second wave of uniforms to the same fans as the Titans... the Rams can cash in on home/away/color rush/throwbacks in the short term, then double-dip on all the fans with whatever they roll out in a few years from now.

The Oilers/Titans situation is pretty different, as the Oilers didn't go to Houston and then come back to Tennessee.  Plus you're assuming that people aren't waiting to buy merchandise, yet I'm going to guess that LA Rams fans are 1) buying throwback (and new) royal and yellow merchandise or 2) waiting for the change because they know it's going to come eventually.  Navy and gold merchandise is now just a stop-gap - a "meh" product line - that likely doesn't have the profitability of the Rams going straight to the royal and yellow (or royal and white).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Does anyone have any numbers on the St. Louis colored vs old LA Rams colored merchandise/jerseys and how they are selling? I'm assuming the royal/yellow is outselling the navy/gold 9-1 but that's just my guess from seeing photos, etc. Could we all be wrong and LA fans are buying the navy/gold in mass?

30 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Oilers/Titans situation is pretty different, as the Oilers didn't go to Houston and then come back to Tennessee.  Plus you're assuming that people aren't waiting to buy merchandise, yet I'm going to guess that LA Rams fans are 1) buying throwback (and new) royal and yellow merchandise or 2) waiting for the change because they know it's going to come eventually.  Navy and gold merchandise is now just a stop-gap - a "meh" product line - that likely doesn't have the profitability of the Rams going straight to the royal and yellow (or royal and white).

Obviously, the comparison is rooted in the common thread of two teams relocating, milking the natural marketability of a new setting, and then double-dipping with a revamp. The fact that the Rams used to be in LA is a split hair in the context of this discussion, as it makes no difference in terms of why a delayed revamp makes sense.

The major point you are missing is that LA fans would not buy throwbacks at the same rate if the updated jerseys were already released. The current home and away jerseys might not be as strong on their own, but coupled with throwbacks? Different story. Oh, and they will still cash in with a revamp in a few years, potentially more lucratively by taking the time to rebuild the LA fan base before creating a unique new jersey.

Lest we forget the lessons cKy taught us all those years ago...

41ry0JmakAL.jpg

I think it is an extremely good marketing strategy to take existing logos and drain the color out of them. This shows vitality and progress. I am an idiot.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think it is an extremely good marketing strategy to take existing logos and drain the color out of them. This shows vitality and progress. I am an idiot.

2_DSC_4947_lg.jpeg4468a_lg.jpeg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think it is easy to view this transition through our overly-picky, faux-critic CCSLC eyes, but difficult for said eyes to see the big picture of how a delayed refresh might be a more profitable option. I get the impression that most people in this thread cannot see past what they want and can't/won't acknowledge why a delayed approach *might* make more sense - not for the fans, but for the businesses who are responsible for and benefit from these decisions.

What will define the success of this decision ten years from now? How fans remember the uniforms or how much money Nike and the Rams made by carefully pacing a series of merch waves?

Archived