Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

If it were my team and the NFL was the one blocking the change back to royal/yellow, I'd be sure to make all signage, ads, promos, etc. in the royal/yellow to emphasize how ridiculous the rule is. Maybe the owner actually doesn't want to change.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'm not sure why Stan would want to keep the navy and gold.  I think he'd rather change to something the fans in LA want.  

The man has shown zero regard for anybody but his own financial interests so it's likely a complete lack of interest/support on his part making 2019 palatable. He is a ruthless real estate magnate that collects sports franchises for fun on the business end. He likely moved the team so he can build the stadium as a real estate play and there's a good chance he will sell the franchise and stadium very soon after the move to Inglewood so he can get a return on his investment. Given that he elects to style himself with a bad toupee makes me think that he does not concern himself with whether or not his franchise wears royal and yellow or navy and khaki.

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

The man has shown zero regard for anybody but his own financial interests so it's likely a complete lack of interest/support on his part making 2019 palatable. He is a ruthless real estate magnate that collects sports franchises for fun on the business end. He likely moved the team so he can build the stadium as a real estate play and there's a good chance he will sell the franchise and stadium very soon after the move to Inglewood so he can get a return on his investment. Given that he elects to style himself with a bad toupee makes me think that he does not concern himself with whether or not his franchise wears royal and yellow or navy and khaki.

Part of the condition of moving was that if he were to sell the team, the league gets a huge cut from the deal. So, it's in his interest to stick with them for a while.

As for 2019, they could still switch to blue/yellow instead of navy/gold this year had they wanted to. They already have to retool everything that said "St. Louis" to "Los Angeles" and switching colors is different than introducing an entirely new logo.

And then in 2019, introduce an even newer logo/wordmark/uniform, etc for the new stadium. They could've done it twice. If the NFL had to give the Rams a whole new identity, they wouldn't have made them wait until 2019 to unveil it (a la Browns-Ravens). If the team moving to LA had some hard ties to its original city such as the Browns or SuperSonics, the NFL would have gotten a new logo and done everything all in without complaint.

56 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Part of the condition of moving was that if he were to sell the team, the league gets a huge cut from the deal. So, it's in his interest to stick with them for a while.

As for 2019, they could still switch to blue/yellow instead of navy/gold this year had they wanted to. They already have to retool everything that said "St. Louis" to "Los Angeles" and switching colors is different than introducing an entirely new logo.

Thats actually not true.  He's still locked into the same uniforms even though he tweaked the logo. Think of it this way - changing the city means that a small percentage of the merchandise is suddenly outdated. Changing the colors would mean that it all is. 

But yes, the league has him locked in to prevent a quick flip to take advantage of his increased franchise value.  But even if he wasn't, his history is about acquiring teams, not flipping them.  

Agreed with Gothamite: There was surprisingly little clearance merchandise in the St. Louis area since anything that just said Rams could be resold in LA instantly.

I still wonder if they could keep the same uniforms but switch the gold to yellow in the interim or if that's still considered a "new uniform".

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

18 hours ago, hawk36 said:

If it were my team and the NFL was the one blocking the change back to royal/yellow, I'd be sure to make all signage, ads, promos, etc. in the royal/yellow to emphasize how ridiculous the rule is. Maybe the owner actually doesn't want to change.

I don't think the owner cares enough about uniforms. This isn't the situation in SD where the owners just prefers navy. I just don't think Kroenke cares enough and is perfectly fine waiting for the NFL to tell him when he can change uniforms meanwhile still being able to make money off the STL colors before switching.

If he actually cared about uniforms then the Rams wouldn't be one of the last teams with the neck roll collar and that color would have never been on the throwback/alt to begin with.

52 minutes ago, VikWings said:

I don't think the owner cares enough about uniforms. This isn't the situation in SD where the owners just prefers navy. I just don't think Kroenke cares enough and is perfectly fine waiting for the NFL to tell him when he can change uniforms meanwhile still being able to make money off the STL colors before switching.

I think that's true enough.  Not that he doesn't necessarily care, but that he doesn't care enough to face down the NFL.

Considering how hard he had to fight Goodell to get his relocation in the first place, I don't think Kroenke considers this worth spending whatever political capital he still has.

5 hours ago, DanPoplawski said:

I can PROMISE you that the new colors in 2019 will be blue and white.

Which lasted from 1964-1972. I rather it be an alternative uniform instead of being the default. Royal blue and athletic gold all the way. Navy blue and white throwbacks with royal blue and athletic gold primary uniforms.

Like someone mentioned before, I think that it still could be just to minimize the use of the Vegas gold. Just kind of a placeholder until 2019 (albeit, a long lasting placeholder). I can't imagine them going against the majority of LA Rams fans' wishes of royal and athletic gold. Then again, we have two San Diego franchises with management that cannot make up its mind.

Went to training camp the other day and it seems like the Rams are changing to the white and blue. Across the field those plastic tarps are white in blue with the Rams logo and wordmark on it. Also, the Rams twitter post with some beverage as its sponsor and it also used the white and blue logo.

image.jpeg

image.png

Is there any duller division in the NFL than the NFC West, aesthetically? You have shades of blue and red and the Seahawks lime green is the only vivid color. The Rams adding athletic gold would at least help out a little bit. The only division that may rival it is the AFC South in which you have different shades of blue as the primary colors for the teams. 

Archived