Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/18/2016 at 4:57 PM, 4_tattoos said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll personally be a little pissed if once the Rams unveil new uniforms they have navy blue helmets paired with a royal blue jerseys. I still don't understand why the Rams and Giants did that for so long. I refuse to believe it was impossible to have royal blue helmets back then.

The blue that Denver used from 1976-1996 was too light for a royal blue. So when Mara and Rosenbloom saw the Broncos helmets, they decided to use navy blue since the azure or cyan blue looked close to royal blue, but too light to reflect the royal blue colors.

Look up the 1973 Rams video on YouTube and you will notice those were still the early helmets all 26 teams used from 1957-1975. Also look up 1980's to 1990's Denver Broncos, New York Giants, and Los Angeles Rams games. I have an image right here,

In 1986, the Giants helmets on CBS cameras look very dark due to the Meadowlands being sort of domed or... Plus when the Broncos played the Rams in 1994, you can tell the big difference. Cowboys vs Rams games and you can noticed by 1979-1988 which type of blue the Cowboys and Rams favored in 1979-1980, but by 1981-1988 you can spot the Rams navy helmets looking good against the Cowboys road look which is why the royal blue and navy blue were matching and did not look off at all.

80892759.jpg

Short story is you had 2 main helmet manufacturers during that era, Schutt/Bike and Riddell. At some point all colored shells  excluding metallic gold/silver (which remained being painted) ended up having the color added during the plastic molding process. For the sake of streamlining the color palette there were two blues as you see above, a stock navy (rams/giants) and a stock royal (broncos). I have no idea as to why they chose that shade of blue to be royal because it is so light and frankly unappealing.

Should the rams adopt royal again, I assume that with modern helmet finishes they will choose a shade of blue that fits both the helmet and jersey much like the giants did with their redesign.

On 7/28/2016 at 6:12 PM, Silver_Star said:

In 1986, the Giants helmets on CBS cameras look very dark due to the Meadowlands being sort of domed or... Plus when the Broncos played the Rams in 1994, you can tell the big difference. Cowboys vs Rams games and you can noticed by 1979-1988 which type of blue the Cowboys and Rams favored in 1979-1980, but by 1981-1988 you can spot the Rams navy helmets looking good against the Cowboys road look which is why the royal blue and navy blue were matching and did not look off at all.

The Meadowlands was sort of domed?  I don't think so.

The Rams helmet was always navy and the jerseys were royal.  Always a mismatch.  Even in the photo against the Broncos it's off.  Sun light, artificial light, and camera technology have a lot to do with color optics, especially in the 80s.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 7/28/2016 at 8:08 PM, guest23 said:

Short story is you had 2 main helmet manufacturers during that era, Schutt/Bike and Riddell. At some point all colored shells  excluding metallic gold/silver (which remained being painted) ended up having the color added during the plastic molding process. For the sake of streamlining the color palette there were two blues as you see above, a stock navy (rams/giants) and a stock royal (broncos). I have no idea as to why they chose that shade of blue to be royal because it is so light and frankly unappealing.

Should the rams adopt royal again, I assume that with modern helmet finishes they will choose a shade of blue that fits both the helmet and jersey much like the giants did with their redesign.

I don't think the Ole Miss powder blue helmets were the same color as the Broncos.  And I think Kansas and Duke had darker royal helmets.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

59 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Meadowlands was sort of domed?  I don't think so.

The Rams helmet was always navy and the jerseys were royal.  Always a mismatch.  Even in the photo against the Broncos it's off.  Sun light, artificial light, and camera technology have a lot to do with color optics, especially in the 80s.

Damn, what a dark helmets for the Giants then. You see how the Rams helmet is at sunlight. I can actually see the navy blue cast. Denver's royal blue was too light which is why I have noticed how they lightened the royal blue for the Rams alt 1973-1999 throwbacks and the Buffalo Bills 2011-current uniforms.

I forgot the Meadowlands were not domed! You are right WSU151.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I don't think the Ole Miss powder blue helmets were the same color as the Broncos.  And I think Kansas and Duke had darker royal helmets.

Correct. Ole Miss had a different shade of blue than the Denver Broncos. And I seen Kansas and Duke's helmets and those were darker royal blue. I wonder why the Rams and Giants didn't go the Duke and Kansas route? :(

The Los Angeles Rams in 1973,

Uniforms were nearly dark royal blue like the helmets being navy!

john_hadl3.jpg

On 7/29/2016 at 4:03 PM, hawk36 said:

Throw the Dallas "green" pants in there and you can start to build a whole division of teams that can't match their colors.

Unlike the Los Angeles Rams of 1973-1999, that was the Cowboy's problem. From 1964-1980, the Dallas Cowboys did have matching silver blue with the helmets, the home and road, etc. Same with the matching dark royal blue. In 1985-1987, the San Diego Chargers used the dark royal blue that the Rams and Cowboys used to use. The Rams did use dark royal blue up til 2000. The throwbacks of 2009-current have an inaccurate type of blue that the Rams used to use. It should of been a little or slightly darker than that of the Buffalo Bill's current jerseys. For anything, Reebok and Nike have a younger group or most are like hipster like. So, their ideas of colors are way off and not similar to that of what we know.

Now, I tell kids that the Los Angeles Rams type of blue is dark royal blue and the Cowboys and Rams were the only two teams from 1964-1999 (til 1999 for the Rams case) to use dark royal blue except for 1985-1987 when the Chargers used it for awhile until they went fully navy blue in 1988. The Cowboys in 1981 went navy blue with their road which perhaps took away from their home whites which made the colors off pattern. The home whites were too iconic that they road uniforms were the only ones that changed with the Cowboys which bothered me a lot.

As for Denver. I can imagine why they didn't go for the navy blue and went with azure blue (or Detroit Lions blue) was maybe the owner was thinking that blue would look good with the orange and blue theme. Bowden didn't take over the team until 1981 or 1984 (one of the two or was it 1983?)

I think now with the Rams, if they were to go back to dark royal blue and athletic gold, then I think they would do the helmets right.

3 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

Unlike the Los Angeles Rams of 1973-1999, that was the Cowboy's problem. From 1964-1980, the Dallas Cowboys did have matching silver blue with the helmets, the home and road, etc. Same with the matching dark royal blue. In 1985-1987, the San Diego Chargers used the dark royal blue that the Rams and Cowboys used to use. The Rams did use dark royal blue up til 2000. The throwbacks of 2009-current have an inaccurate type of blue that the Rams used to use. It should of been a little or slightly darker than that of the Buffalo Bill's current jerseys. For anything, Reebok and Nike have a younger group or most are like hipster like. So, their ideas of colors are way off and not similar to that of what we know.

Now, I tell kids that the Los Angeles Rams type of blue is dark royal blue and the Cowboys and Rams were the only two teams from 1964-1999 (til 1999 for the Rams case) to use dark royal blue except for 1985-1987 when the Chargers used it for awhile until they went fully navy blue in 1988. The Cowboys in 1981 went navy blue with their road which perhaps took away from their home whites which made the colors off pattern. The home whites were too iconic that they road uniforms were the only ones that changed with the Cowboys which bothered me a lot.

As for Denver. I can imagine why they didn't go for the navy blue and went with azure blue (or Detroit Lions blue) was maybe the owner was thinking that blue would look good with the orange and blue theme. Bowden didn't take over the team until 1981 or 1984 (one of the two or was it 1983?)

I think now with the Rams, if they were to go back to dark royal blue and athletic gold, then I think they would do the helmets right.

What?

The Rams won't change until 2019 for the new stadium. 

I would love the white and royal blue look of the Roman Gabriel days. Also wear white for home games. Second best choice is the royal blue & yellow look before they went to the navy and gold. 

image.jpeg

Archived