Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

Yeah, I would expect the monetary fines to be substantial. 

3 hours ago, Rambulance said:

The cynic in me thinks this is part of a greater conspiracy to appease the LA fans. Craft the storyline that the big, bad NFL won't allow us to return to our sacred colors, only to have the Rams fight and win. A win for the "little guy" or the "new kid". See kids, we're not some faceless NFL team. We fought because we wanted to make you happy.

Of course, I realize that they probably just underestimated the appeal of the Royal/Yellow. I mean, fans haven't been telling them that since 2000.

St. Louis fans obviously bought the navy and gold.  I don't see Kroenke as a Spanos "screw the fans, screw the merchandising, we'll do what I want" type. 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never ascribe to malice what could be ascribed to incompetence.

Remember, the Navy and old gold set was supposed to debut in 1999 but they blew the deadline.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Is there a little bit of hope? Specifically,

"According to ESPN, The Rams will wear their classic blue and yellow uniforms twice next season, the maximum the league allows for alternate throwback uniforms, but the team is working with the league to expand that number."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rams-great-states-obvious-uniforms-205414670.html;_ylt=AwrSbDvknWVXVXQAB6JXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyOTlucWF0BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDQTAyMDBfMQRzZWMDc3I-

Maybe it's the absence that makes the heart grow fonder aspect or maybe it's just that I think the navy and old gold is a terrible combo, but it's funny to me how I am wanting the LA Rams to wear blue and athletic gold. They were one of my least favorite uniforms back when I was a kid in the late 80s into the 90s.

But it is so obvious that everyone (even non-rams fans, like myself) wants the old color combo back full time.

Yeah, this really is an opportunity for the league to set aside its rules and do a small thing that will have major resonance.  

Even if they have to wear their uglies on the road, at least they can wear the throwback set for all home games.  Helmets are the same with decal swaps, so no problems there. 

No.  Athletic gold has more red in it than yellow does, making it more orange-y.   1235 is the color used by the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers & Penguins:

YellowComp (1).png

Confusing yellow and gold only makes sense if we're also going to claim that "light blue" and "teal" are also somehow the same color. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll personally be a little pissed if once the Rams unveil new uniforms they have navy blue helmets paired with a royal blue jerseys. I still don't understand why the Rams and Giants did that for so long. I refuse to believe it was impossible to have royal blue helmets back then.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

23 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll personally be a little pissed if once the Rams unveil new uniforms they have navy blue helmets paired with a royal blue jerseys. I still don't understand why the Rams and Giants did that for so long. I refuse to believe it was impossible to have royal blue helmets back then.

We know it was possible to have royal blue helmets - the Broncos did. Their blue may have been slightly lighter than what most would consider Royal, but it's close enough for the discussion. 

The blue matching against the jersey could have been an issue though, and if so I agree with the decision to go with a darker lid 

i always thought it made the giants look like black-and-blue bruises, which was pretty bad ass (or so a young BBTV thought). 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Realistically, they should only be wearing the St. Louis uniforms on the road or in London, and never again after this year. Take a 15-yard penalty on the other five kickoffs for Illegal Shade Of Blue, Receiving Team like UCLA did. Three years is too long to spend in limbo. Think about it as kids entering high school this fall not being able to see actual L.A. Rams until they're seniors. That's an eternity.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/18/2016 at 4:48 PM, the admiral said:

Realistically, they should only be wearing the St. Louis uniforms on the road or in London, and never again after this year. Take a 15-yard penalty on the other five kickoffs for Illegal Shade Of Blue, Receiving Team like UCLA did. Three years is too long to spend in limbo. Think about it as kids entering high school this fall not being able to see actual L.A. Rams until they're seniors. That's an eternity.

My thoughts exactly. Allow the identity dissonance for Year Number 1, then go with Yellow and Blue--even if it's the throwbacks (and the yellow tops inspired by them, preferably with white pants and Blue/Yellow/Blue stripes; I'm hopelessly reaching here)--for 2 years, and then go with the new look come 2019.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

On June 18, 2016 at 4:56 PM, masterchaoss said:

So it looks like the Rams will be using a green endzone, I know madden has been wrong before but given the fact the Rams are sharing a stadium this looks like it's right. 

Screenshot_2016-06-18-16-41-41.png

I'm not a groundskeeper but it seems that the best practice has always been to do minimal painting early in the season (logo/text only) and not color the end zones until later in the seasons to ensure that all of the painting doesn't kill the grass. Grass fields in southwest tend to be short and minimal (think a putting green) unlike their counterparts out east which tend to use thicker and more robust grass.That may no longer be the case but with 2 teams and usc being the landlord, I'm not even sure how the field will look and if sc will want to give up their branding on the 50 and in the end zones. A generic city compromise would be ideal like miami, pitt or san diego but that doesn't really work as a compromise in this situation where one team is branded as los angeles and the other is southern california and whatever you dont call it "southern cal" that's a big no no.

On June 20, 2016 at 11:05 AM, guest23 said:

I'm not a groundskeeper but it seems that the best practice has always been to do minimal painting early in the season (logo/text only) and not color the end zones until later in the seasons to ensure that all of the painting doesn't kill the grass. Grass fields in southwest tend to be short and minimal (think a putting green) unlike their counterparts out east which tend to use thicker and more robust grass.That may no longer be the case but with 2 teams and usc being the landlord, I'm not even sure how the field will look and if sc will want to give up their branding on the 50 and in the end zones. A generic city compromise would be ideal like miami, pitt or san diego but that doesn't really work as a compromise in this situation where one team is branded as los angeles and the other is southern california and whatever you dont call it "southern cal" that's a big no no.

With that in mind I hope they go old school and paint a diamond pattern in the end zones.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 6/20/2016 at 11:05 AM, guest23 said:

Or they can use the college end zones like the Bears and Seahawks in 2002. It would be dumb but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

bSLCtu2.png

The Bears and Seahawks used the college end zones because the college fields they played on were FieldTurf.  I see the Rams wanting to change the end zones in Year 1 of Los Angeles.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

With that in mind I hope they go old school and paint a diamond pattern in the end zones.

Diamond could be a good compromise and it has history. I suppose something like that may have been done before they moved to anaheim. Granted it was not at the height of end zone design but at one point you had sc, ucla, and the rams all sharing that stadium. Only difference is now sc gets to call all the shots.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived