Underrated Uniforms

Since there hasn’t been one of these since 2003, and bumping a seventeen year old thread would be weird, I started a new one. Here’s one that I’ve always liked:

The 1994 Patriots (Home) Uniform. It was after the weird mis-matching Front/Back and TV Numbers (at least at home), and before the ugly pinstripes and italicized Numbers. It also has Flying Elvis, which I’ve grown to prefer over Pat Patriot the last few years. But for some reason, the Away set kept the mismatched TV Numbers.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The 1992-2004 Expos also had a great uniform that never gets talked about enough. Everybody always talks about the 1969-1979 and 1980-1991 sets and the Powder Blue, while this one always gets left out. Also, who doesn’t love pinstripes!

spacer.png
spacer.png

The 1989-1996 Timberwolves Uniform was a bright spot in an otherwise dark and sad franchise during that time until Kevin Garnett, but it doesn’t mean that they couldn’t dress well! While other teams of the late 80s and early 90s turned more cartoonish, the Wolves came out of the gate beautifully dressed in a traditional uniform, and excellent color combination of Royal Blue and Kelly Green. But a year after KG was drafted, they decided to “update” and join in the cartoon bandwagon set by tons of teams. But at least they didn’t go too far then, with a Bad font. At least the tree trim was cool.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not a big Hockey or Soccer guy, so don’t have any for those. What are your guys’ underrated Uni sets?

da0Lbhs.png

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, LA_Angels said:

For me it's a specific style. Vests in Baseball are underappreciated. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Depends, if they are cut like today where they are just the regular shirts with the sleeves ripped off they don’t look as good. I think everyone likes vests when they actually look like they were made be be vests.

I've always thought pinstripes on MLB road uniforms was an underrated look:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, I liked the metallic gold basketball uniforms everyone seemed to hate:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Plus here are a couple hockey uniforms that don't get enough love:

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

I've always thought pinstripes on MLB road uniforms was an underrated look:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, I liked the metallic gold basketball uniforms everyone seemed to hate:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Plus here are a couple hockey uniforms that don't get enough love:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm with you on the Road Pinstripes...as for the gold basketball? I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. 

This set.  This road uniform is one of my all-time favorites.  Also the white home and yellow alt were terrific.  Basically anything without blue or black.

umdaaf436hfc0wptthfanx478.gif22241812013.gif22220682015.gif

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 minute ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

This "Seahawk Blue" was BEAUTIFUL

Totally agree.  The jersey and helmet were terrific.  The pants never quite worked out (even the white pants didn't look great with that blue jersey) but I still think this is the best the Seahawks ever looked.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Totally agree.  The jersey and helmet were terrific.  The pants never quite worked out (even the white pants didn't look great with that blue jersey) but I still think this is the best the Seahawks ever looked.

Dark navy pants would have worked the best with what they had. I wonder what silver pants would have looked like if they kept that in the color scheme.

They wore dark navy pants near the end of the set's run and it always looked more like they couldn't match colors across textiles.

The shade of blue they used, which our Buc named "Puget Slate," was really good, but there were lots of flaws in the set. Not enough neon green, except for the week there was too much neon green. Could have gone with a custom number set. The sleeve logo was the same size as the Reebok logo. But overall, good for its time. The bluish-grey Seahawks kind of felt like a counterpart to their expansion mate, the brownish-grey Buccaneers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

They wore dark navy pants near the end of the set's run and it always looked more like they couldn't match colors across textiles.

The shade of blue they used, which our Buc named "Puget Slate," was really good, but there were lots of flaws in the set. Not enough neon green, except for the week there was too much neon green. Could have gone with a custom number set. The sleeve logo was the same size as the Reebok logo. But overall, good for its time. The bluish-grey Seahawks kind of felt like a counterpart to their expansion mate, the brownish-grey Buccaneers.

Today's Seahawks set in Puget Slate would be sweet.  I like it just fine in navy, but it is a shame that their former shade of blue exist only in archives.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I was never a fan of the monochrome blue set, but you're right, the helmet and jersey looked great. For my money, the all white uniform from that set was one of the best looks in the league. They rarely wore the blue over white combo, but I thought it looked great when they did. Easily their best looks in my opinion. 

Jags-vs-Seattle-01-mw-091105.jpg

7d42606751f3fd3c3faa4919b58544c2.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

The 80s racing stripes get a lot of love (helps when you’re ultra competitive and win a World Series) but the 2.0 uniforms, that were button downs, I thought were pretty clean. They were worn during 91-92, some super low moments in Mets history. For obvious reasons, they get easily forgotten compared to the glory days.

spacer.png

XM4KeeA.png

I now everyone hates these but the previous Jags sets are one of my favorite. Yeah maybe the half gold helmet is gimmicky but nearly everything else I really like and the colors work well. Their current uniforms are really bland and All they had to do was make teal the primary (they’re still not the primary) and replace the half gold with a black helmet

spacer.png

While we are at it the Marlins current look is really clean. Not my favorite that goes to the old Florida Marlins but still a solid look

spacer.png

On 3/26/2020 at 12:39 PM, dont care said:

Depends, if they are cut like today where they are just the regular shirts with the sleeves ripped off they don’t look as good. I think everyone likes vests when they actually look like they were made be be vests.

I LOVE the vest look for Baseball! That and when Players wear their pants knee high! Vest (with contrasting colored shirt worn underneath it) with knee high pants SCREAM Baseball to me. The Vest look was my favorite look for the pIRATEs

1 hour ago, Reyes47 said:

I now everyone hates these but the previous Jags sets are one of my favorite. Yeah maybe the half gold helmet is gimmicky but nearly everything else I really like and the colors work well. Their current uniforms are really bland and All they had to do was make teal the primary (they’re still not the primary) and replace the half gold with a black helmet

spacer.png

While we are at it the Marlins current look is really clean. Not my favorite that goes to the old Florida Marlins but still a solid look

spacer.png

My problem with this set is that it is too clean. Not enough color.

1 hour ago, Fitzy0220 said:

I LOVE the vest look for Baseball! That and when Players wear their pants knee high! Vest (with contrasting colored shirt worn underneath it) with knee high pants SCREAM Baseball to me. The Vest look was my favorite look for the pIRATEs

You totally missed what my post said

3 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

spacer.png

The Marlins set is really clean, but does need a little more color like JayMac said. The biggest problem is the non contrasting hat logo. It could also use a little more piping, and color numbers on the front. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived