Underrated Uniforms

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

The Marlins set is really clean, but does need a little more color like JayMac said. The biggest problem is the non contrasting hat logo. It could also use a little more piping, and color numbers on the front. 

eh I can see your complaints. I don’t mind the all black since it looks like old Neon light signs and blacks are alternates I think but if i had to change one think it would be to have a blue hat as well and maybe make the blue and red more teal and pink

spacer.png

This particular Saints combo is vastly underrated IMO. It had a really nice balance of white and gold (which, admittedly, is way too light 🤷🏾‍♂️), with black serving as a tertiary color. 
spacer.png

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I agree with the Seahawks 2000s look (took a while to get used to the shade of blue though), sleeveless MLB uniforms (Pirates, Reds, etc), and the Twins pinstriped road set from 1987-2009.

== NFL ==
Buffalo Bills 90s uniforms. Many like their current set with the white helmets (which is based on their 70s/early 80s look). However, some people frown on these because they lost 4 straight Super Bowls. Plus, I'm more used to them wearing red helmets.
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJibmNvcmUiLCJrZXkiOiJ3cC1jb250ZW50XC91cGxvYWRzXC8yMDE3XC8wOVwvYmlsbHNyZWRoZWxtZXRzLmpwZyIsIm1heCI6IiIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6NjYwLCJoZWlnaHQiOjQyMCwiZml0IjoiY292ZXIifX19

gettyimages-71395875.jpg?w=1000&h=665

2000-2004 NY Giants road set.  Very underrated IMO.  My pet peeve on the 2005-present road set is that they lack blue on the jerseys and the red socks (you're called "Big Blue" for a reason, G-Men!)  Home set is great though.  On a side note, I didn't know Eli Manning wore this set in his rookie year.  Thought they changed to their current set by then.
11609j_med.jpeg

"Greatest Show on Turf" St. Louis Rams.  Prefer their classic LA/early STL/back to LA royal blue/athletic gold colors but the navy/metallic gold look wasn't too bad (until they started to phase out metallic gold).
gettyimages-72500232.jpg?w=1024&h=576&crop=1

mid-90s-2000s 49ers.  Everyone loves the Montana-era uniforms but the Terrell Owens/Jeff Garcia-era uniforms weren't too bad.
nfl_g_ibruce_576.jpg

90s NY Jets.  Many prefer the Joe-Nathan era uniforms but the 80s uniforms and the 90s uniforms (which added black trim) are often underappreciated.

1092fa8eeda6d8a15167d0b0ecb3f7fb.jpg

1988-2006 San Diego Chargers.  Eveyone loves the powder blue throwback uniforms, but there was nothing wrong this this set.

topper_chargers.0.jpg

== NHL ===
Pittsburgh Penguins robo-penguin logo era.  Even Super Mario himself disliked this logo, but the uniforms themselves were quite good
lemieux-e1520032253521-1024x687.jpg

92-97 Hartford Whalers.  People think of them wearing green uniforms rather than blue ones.
the-hartford-whalers-requiem-for-a-team-body-image-1415143925.jpg

late 90s Buffalo Sabres.  Logo wasn't that bad (way better than the Buffaslug)  Just the wrong color scheme.
cup3.jpg

== NBA ===
late 90s/early 2000s Jazz,  The 80s-to-mid-90s look is more popular but these looked so cool.  Tons of loud, colorful 90s NBA uniforms.
john-stockton-karl-malone.png

mid-to-late 90s Hawks.  The 1980s/early 90s Dominique Wilkens set is the most popular Hawks throwback uniform.  but there's something about these that is to be desired.
gettyimages-123711959.jpg

LA Clippers (pre-2015 rebrand).  Starting to appreciate this look more often

Clippers_New.png

== MLB ===
2000s Tampa Bay Devil Rays.  Not enough baseball teams wear green.  Too bad the Rays were such a terrible team and when they finally got good, they changed to the boring navy blue set.  Navy blue is the most overused color in MLB and it didn't help that two of their division rivals (Yankees and Red Sox) also use that color though the Rays used a lighter shade of navy instead of midnight navy.
659070.0.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png
On its own merits, I think this is a rather sharp uniform, both the home and road version. Now, in context it was a mistake for the Cardinals to ever move away from the Birds on the Bat, but the uniform has a lot of things going for it. The script is sharp and it apparently inspired the contemporary script on the jerseys. I also think the slugger bird sleeve patch is freaking awesome.

Virginia football always looks sharp...helmet logo is strong, never any obnoxious swooshes or goofy fonts, even the all-blue works.

04c65d16-733d-4f91-b77d-a61990469967.sized-1000x1000.jpg?w=1000OWK5IIQNENBZVKGTBWFZARO5AE.jpg

5de1973963c19.image.jpg?crop=1316,1316,129,0&resize=1316,1316&order=crop,resize

Michigan basketball is also usually pretty good at avoiding the trap that college teams fall into of constantly futzing with their jerseys, and consistently has an excellent look.

usatsi-13726446-zavier-simpson-michigan-2019-1400.jpgOJFPTFNJRVB5FOXCMIQDAXRBFQ.jpg

On 3/27/2020 at 11:10 AM, spartacat_12 said:

I've always thought pinstripes on MLB road uniforms was an underrated look:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, I liked the metallic gold basketball uniforms everyone seemed to hate:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Plus here are a couple hockey uniforms that don't get enough love:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don’t know if it’s an unpopular opinion or not, but I think the Thrashers had a higher tier look in the NHL at the time. It eventually turned into a dumpster fire in the following years, but this was sharp. Also, check out the hams that Mr. Heatley was hiding under his socks, trying to pass them off as shin pads. Gear in this era looked so awkward.

1 hour ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I don’t know if it’s an unpopular opinion or not, but I think the Thrashers had a higher tier look in the NHL at the time. It eventually turned into a dumpster fire in the following years, but this was sharp. 

Yeah, this design is a bit like a combination of Philadelphia & Colorado. Funny enough, when the Edge switch happened the Thrashers ended up using the same template as the Avs at home, and the same template as Philly on the road.

• 3 weeks later...
  1. The Athletics' "Oakland" pullovers from the early and mid 1980's

I wouldn't go so far as to call these the best uniforms in Oakland A's history or anything, but I quite like them. Kind of a shame they're rarely brought up.

april-27-1981-sports-illustrated-via-getdave-kingman-of-the-oakland-athletics-ba

2. The Athletics' 1994-2013 green alternate

This, on the other hand, is easily one of my favorite uniform sets from the Athletics. The jersey worked very well at home and on the road. The current green alternate and road cap (introduced in 2014) have both been downgrades in my opinion.

640x0.jpg

3. The Seahawks' current all-white road set

I know monochromatic NFL uniform sets don't get a ton of love on here, but I wish the Seahawks wore these white pants on the road more often (maybe 50-50 with their blue pants). I'd also be fine with them ditching their gray jerseys and pants entirely.

quarterback-russell-wilson-of-the-seattl

On 3/29/2020 at 7:57 AM, disman00911 said:

1988-2006 San Diego Chargers.  Eveyone loves the powder blue throwback uniforms, but there was nothing wrong this this set.

topper_chargers.0.jpg

That set isn't underrated. They are well liked.

I nominate the 2007-2019 Chargers uniforms. Those are the underrated ones.

Yeah, royal blue crowns with red brims should have been the Rangers' signature design element all along. Shame they couldn't have had a slab-serif D instead of a T, too!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/29/2020 at 10:57 AM, disman00911 said:

92-97 Hartford Whalers.  People think of them wearing green uniforms rather than blue ones.
the-hartford-whalers-requiem-for-a-team-body-image-1415143925.jpg

As a kid who grew up with the Whalers and is young enough to mostly remember them in this set, I love love love this template. I love the introduction of grey to the color scheme, adding a grey field to the logo, which would allow for consistency on both home and road jerseys, and I prefer the navy to the royal blue they had used prior. I just think Green should be the dominant color.

Archived