Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

IIRC, the guy in Denver volunteered his 18 to Manning, right?

I thought so too, but how much of THAT was to avoid being thought of as a scumbag?

Not arguing with you, but it's a chicken and egg thing to some extent.

It's where I sit.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I thought so too, but how much of THAT was to avoid being thought of as a scumbag?

Not arguing with you, but it's a chicken and egg thing to some extent.

Just did some research, and yah - he asked Frank Tripucka if he could wear 18.  Therefore, in my eyes, he did a scummy thing.

Edit - there's different accounts of it.  Some that say Peyton asked, and some that say Tripucka insisted.  Knowing Peyton, I have to believe the latter is true:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/7/11171742/peyton-manning-frank-tripucka-denver-broncos-No-18

When Peyton Manning called up Frank Tripucka in the spring of 2012, he told the Broncos' first franchise quarterback that he didn't want to wear No. 18, the number Manning had worn for 14 seasons in Indianapolis. The number he had as he won four NFL MVPs and one Super Bowl.

Out of respect for the game and its former players, Manning believed Tripucka's retired Denver Broncos No. 18  jersey should remain out of circulation - no matter what Manning had done as a quarterback with that number.

tripucka

But the original No. 18 insisted - there was a short list of players he'd consider to wear his number and the former Colts quarterback who would now be on his favorite team was at the top.

"I'd be honored. You're my kind of quarterback, and I insist you wear it," recalled Chris Tripucka of his father's response to Manning.

But there was one caveat.

"Peyton, being the guy he is, asked my dad if there was anything he could do to repay him for using the No. 18," said Chris, the youngest of seven Tripucka children who was a wide receiver at Boston College and is now father to two football stars of his own - Shane and Nicholas (also a No. 18)."

EDIT Again - if he was going to respect that it was retired, why would he call him up in the first place?  Seems like they're twisting the story some to make Manning seem like not a bad guy.  "Hey Frank - Peyton.  Look, I love 18, it's my favorite number, and people think that I should wear it for Denver, but since it's retired, I want you to know I won't wear it, even though I love it and would really want to.  But I won't... but I want to"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

When Joe got to KC 16 was already retired for a Hall of Fame and Super Bowl winning QB in Len Dawson. A little different situation.

Oh for sure. I'm well aware that was the situation. But maybe Tom being the super Niner fan he was would wanna do something similar.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Just did some research, and yah - he asked Frank Tripucka if he could wear 18.  Therefore, in my eyes, he did a scummy thing.

Edit - there's different accounts of it.  Some that say Peyton asked, and some that say Tripucka insisted.  Knowing Peyton, I have to believe the latter is true:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/7/11171742/peyton-manning-frank-tripucka-denver-broncos-No-18

EDIT Again - if he was going to respect that it was retired, why would he call him up in the first place?  Seems like they're twisting the story some to make Manning seem like not a bad guy.  "Hey Frank - Peyton.  Look, I love 18, it's my favorite number, and people think that I should wear it for Denver, but since it's retired, I want you to know I won't wear it, even though I love it and would really want to.  But I won't... but I want to"

This post is amazing. 

Everyone knows Peyton is a pretty good guy, so I really don't think any twisting was added. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Everyone knows Peyton is a pretty good guy

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'll leave it at that because we don't need to get into the particulars.

17 minutes ago, 406Cane said:

Definitely right there. 

The white pants from the Super Bowl set looked great with the white jerseys. The red jerseys needed the pewter pants to balance the pewter helmet, however.

9 hours ago, Volt said:

I think the brand is strong enough that he could switch back to his college #10 and leave TB12 as-is.  He's only going to play 2, 3 years max...he'll always been known for #12 in New England and his brand won't take a hit because he wears #10 for 2 years.

I agree. At this point, 20 years of Tom Brady wearing number 12 has established a brand that can't be diminished by a few years wearing his college number. 

Archived