Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

The Red Wolves is painfully generic. I feel like it is a nickname of a college team after removing its Native American nickname. I believe this is the nickname of Arkansas State.

The Red Tails is a better name. Although, at this point, that may sound like the organization pandering to the masses. 

Warriors is generic too but it sounds great together. This is my favorite of the three but still not great, IMO.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(I hope this doesn't veer too much into the political side, but) I find it funny, but not entirely unsurprising, that after the product this team has put out on the field and everything Dan Snyder has done, the name change is where some people are drawing the line on not being a fan of the team anymore.

---

I do wonder how much of a slapdash rebranding we are going to immediately get because they didn't announce a new name. Training Camps are supposed to start at the end of month, so that's not a lot of time to change many things. They can remove the helmet decals, put a patch over the "Redskins" wordmark on the jerseys and just paint "Washington" in the endzones, but there's going to still be a lot of inherited branding still for this season.

I honestly think this upcoming season will probably still be the "Washington Redskins" in everything but name.

3 minutes ago, JayMac said:

The Red Wolves is painfully generic. I feel like it is a nickname of a college team after removing its Native American nickname. I believe this is the nickname of Arkansas State.

The Red Tails is a better name. Although, at this point, that may sound like the organization pandering to the masses. 

Warriors is generic too but it sounds great together. This is my favorite of the three but still not great, IMO.

At least they don't appear to be considering "(adjective or verb) Hawks", which appears to have been the default change for a lot of Indigenous sports branding across all levels.

IbjBaeE.png

10 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Washington Diplomats.

The Dips name would be in step with how the team has performed as of late.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

2 minutes ago, JayMac said:

I agree on Red Wolves.  Golden Eagles, Red Storm, etc.  Sticking a color before the name just seems very college. Plus they have colors that are more frequently connected to college teams. Red Tails comes off a bit like that, too, but a red tail is one name with two words (like Devil Rays). 

Warriors...am I even allowed to talk about why that might not be a good idea?  I'll just say that some day we may be moving on from that name (and/or the imagery they connect to it). I kinda think they need to make a break from names and logos associated with the current identity, though I can't really say why.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Washington needs to accept that whatever they come out with is going to be hated, and changed after five years. No matter how good it is, people will boycott and lambast the new look. Make it bleh to mediocre, and in five years come out with whatever you want to be the permanent identity.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Definitely lean toward Red Wolves. It is mildly generic but since they reportedly want to retain the color scheme, it would allow for it be a legitimate successor if they wanted to keep any tie ins, also there is a lacking of canine mascots in the NFL.

PS they can keep HTTR with a tweak.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

I prefer Warriors the most out of the three, simply because "Washington Warriors" comes off the tongue way better than "Washington Redtails" or "Washington Red Wolves". Keep the uniforms, replace the current logo with a spear (and put in on the helmet like the 2002 throwbacks/FSU), you're done.

ExJworW.png

2 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

At least they don't appear to be considering "(adjective or verb) Hawks", which appears to have been the default change for a lot of Indigenous sports branding across all levels.

Yes, Hawks is another one used way too much as a rebrand.

Is there any chance that the team would consider going in the direction of Florida State University, and choose to honour an indigenous nation in the area?

I'm thinking Washington Algonquians/Potomacs/something like that.

16 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Warriors...am I even allowed to talk about why that might not be a good idea?  I'll just say that some day we may be moving on from that name (and/or the imagery they connect to it). I kinda think they need to make a break from names and logos associated with the current identity, though I can't really say why.

I agree with you that it shouldn't be used due to certain "conflicts". However it has been said that the organization wants to incorporate a salute to military so I guess that's why it may be in play. 

The sig of @Jimmy! reminds me that the best name out there is Washington Federals.  It is appropriate for the capital, and sits beautifully alongside Nationals.

What's more, the USFL Federals' logo is spectacular:

5760.gif

A version of this, recoloured in burgundy and gold, would be wonderful.

This is the identity that the team should pay whatever to whomever to acquire.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1. I'm glad the change is finally happening, but it's sad that it's taken so long for sponsors to apply the additional pressure needed for the change to occur.

2. The realtor that trademarked the various names is a genius and I hope he makes some money from Snyder to sell the trademark.

1 hour ago, _J_ said:

I want them to take this chance to go full red/white/blue.

Yes the Giants have it, but do it in a way that's fully balance and fits with the majority of other DC teams besides DC United.

NHL: Capitals (Red, Navy, White)

MLB: Nationals (Red, Navy, White)

NBA: Wizards (Red, Navy, White, Silver)

MLS: DC United (Black, Red, White)

NFL: ??? (Maroon, Yellow?)

Archived