Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

The name and the logo go hand-in-hand; I don't think you can change one without changing the other. Letting the logo stay would just keep the wound partially open, especially if the new name doesn't really have any indigenous significance. As @_J_ย said, just rip the bandage off.

ย 

I think, in all likelihood, we'll get the Washington Football Club for at least a season, with blank maroon helmets and maroon-and-gold jersey with either a "Washington" wordmark above the front number or no wordmark at all. They might even pull a Browns and use the helmet as the primary logo.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One suggestion that I read and liked was to not choose a new name immediately - let this breathe for awhile and let people get over the Redskins name being gone - and go nameless, logo-less for 1-2 years.ย ย 

ย 

They could bring back the "leather look" helmet full-time.

ย 

And they could take the appropriate amount of time to do focus-groups with fans and complete the appropriate research and legwork to land on, as the team said today, the right name for the next 100 years.ย  If that means changing the colors and uniforms, so be it.ย  In my opinion, as long as they keep those, fans will always cling to them being the Redskins.

ย 

Personally I feel this whole thing is insane, but they're changing, so it is what it is...the mob won.ย  Hopefully they've had a longstanding plan, and that this won't be rushed.

I feel like there could have been a name that was respectful enough to keep the logo, like Natives or Americans. But itโ€™s probably too entrenched with the current brand and it might have been better to just rip off the Band Aid and not use Natives as mascots for a sports team.

ย 

As for the name...

spacer.png

07Giants.pngnyy.png

3 minutes ago, _J_ said:

I want them to take this chance to go full red/white/blue.

ย 

Yes the Giants have it, but do it in a way that's fully balance and fits with the majority of other DC teams besides DC United.

ย 

Seconded.

4 minutes ago, _J_ said:

I want them to take this chance to go full red/white/blue.

ย 

Yes the Giants have it, but do it in a way that's fully balance and fits with the majority of other DC teams besides DC United.

They've already stated that the colors weren't changing.

It's where I sit.

3 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

ย 

I'm fine with that, that's a relatively unique combination compared to RWB variants.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The three best choices IMO

ย 

Defenders

Pay the XFL whatever amount of money to get the naming rights.

ย 

Gladiators

Similar to the Titans, but different enough to be their own identity.
ย 

Warriors

Same feel as the Gladiators and you donโ€™t need Native American imagery to make a great identity.

Better late than never.ย  It's a step in the right direction.

ย 

Even if a temporary/mediocre "placeholder"-type logo is on the way, it is still a step in the right direction, because this is not really a "cosmetic" change.ย It's something a little more important than that.

It looks like they're just dropping the name to show the sponsors that they're doing it...I don't mean this nearly as cynically as it comes off.ย  What I mean is that they're doing so in a hurry to the point that I would not be surprised if they just play the season (assuming it happens) out as "Washington" and come up with something that will be released in about a year.ย 

ย 

Lukas suggested in his blog that they could have an "in case of emergency, break glass" name/identity at the ready, but I'm not getting that sense.ย  To be honest, I kinda hope they play the year out nameless. I hate that as a permanent solution but to hastily try to put something together right now might make it more likely that it won't look good in a decade, be it akin to "Wild" or something military-related that comes under fire as the winds change more.

ย 

I am both surprised and disappointed that the current head coach is a part of the discussion.ย  First, as is the case for most that work for Snyder, his presence is temporary. It would be like if the Dolphins had rebranded earlier and had it designed by Nick Saban.ย  In five years Rivera's going to be gone but the team's primary identifier will carry him forever.ย  Also, I'd be stunned if it doesn't turn out to be military themed.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

ย 

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

ย 

The team announced that?

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived