Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

29 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I'd be curious to hear from any fans of the team here...does this impact your fandom?  Is any team fan particularly happy or unhappy about this (I hope answer that question without getting into more is OK)?  I know we have had a couple of Indians fans who were glad to see Wahoo go.

I'm definitely relieved, and optimistic. It's a cloud of shame that's been hanging over me for years, and dulled my enthusiasm for the team. I haven't worn any of my Redskins gear outside my house in a long time, although I have worn a jersey or t-shirt while watching a game at home. It'll be nice to be able to support my team in public again, and only have to be ashamed of their play on the field, or of Snyder's stupid antics. 

13 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Maybe I'm thinking about this too logically, but Washington Red Tails has given me pause. I understand that a few of the airmen were from the DC area, but that seems to be the extent of the local connection, unless you want to make the claim that Washington DC simply represents the entire war effort. The Red Tails are certainly worthy of honoring in such a fashion, but I find it nearly impossible to separate their namesake Tuskegee Airmen from the state of Alabama. In short, it just feels a little forced for a DC team to adopt Red Tails when the pilots have been historically more associated with the part of the country where their color-barrier breaking training actually took place.

Not every team name has to be locally sourced, and I don't think Alabama is getting an NFL team any time soon. And as you pointed out, with DC being the nation's capital, they kinda represent all Americans, especially military.

spacer.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Maybe I'm thinking about this too logically, but Washington Red Tails has given me pause. I understand that a few of the airmen were from the DC area, but that seems to be the extent of the local connection, unless you want to make the claim that Washington DC simply represents the entire war effort. The Red Tails are certainly worthy of honoring in such a fashion, but I find it nearly impossible to separate their namesake Tuskegee Airmen from the state of Alabama. In short, it just feels a little forced for a DC team to adopt Red Tails when the pilots have been historically more associated with the part of the country where their color-barrier breaking training actually took place.

I get what you are saying but they represented the nation, so I don't view it as a stretch that a team out of DC would honor them.

37 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I like it because DC is a place filled with memorials to things that happened all over the place, why not this too? 

18 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Out of curiosity, how do you see this playing out? I guess what I'm asking it, what would "letting a name emerge organically" look like in this day and age? 

It would seem to be that, absent a name for some unprescribed period, the team's original name would fill the vacuum. So even though they'd no longer be the Redskins, they'd still essentially be the Redskins. I can't envision how a new brand would manifest organically in that circumstance. 

That's an interesting question.  It seems like it would be difficult to pre-determine that the name's going to be organic.  My gut reaction to the Browns using the dog logo or this team using Hogs (both are nods to the die-hard fans) has always been negative.  However, that is about as close to a parellel to old "organic" names of the.

My take isn't so much that it needs to be organic but that it can't be rushed. So far, Red Tails is my favorite, but it would be crazy to just jump on that (or anything) right now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

32 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

My personal opinion:

-Warriors is painfully generic. It doesn’t help there is another Big 4 Sports team called the “Warriors” either. 

-Red Tails or Redtails would be a good name but I don’t think it’ll happen. 

-Red Wolves or Redwolves is a creative name and not as awful as some people are saying. For me personally, I’d rather them just go with “Washington Wolves”.

Red wolves is creative? It might as well be Northeastern University Red wolves. It's not that it's bad on its own, but it's so collegiate and high school fitting.

34 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

My personal opinion:

-Warriors is painfully generic. It doesn’t help there is another Big 4 Sports team called the “Warriors” either. 

I guess the Jets, Rangers, and Giants didn’t get that memo 🙃

I wonder, sincerely, how much value is being placed on retaining the "Red-something" naming style. I've read some reports indicating how it would allow them to retain the #HTTR hashtag, which seems like a silly reason to make such an important decision. But with Red Tails and Redwolves being such a prominent part of the discussion thus far, it would appear that such things matter. 

3 hours ago, officeglenn said:

The name and the logo go hand-in-hand; I don't think you can change one without changing the other. Letting the logo stay would just keep the wound partially open, especially if the new name doesn't really have any indigenous significance. As @_J_ said, just rip the bandage off.

I think, in all likelihood, we'll get the Washington Football Club for at least a season, with blank maroon helmets and maroon-and-gold jersey with either a "Washington" wordmark above the front number or no wordmark at all. They might even pull a Browns and use the helmet as the primary logo.

They've already done it multiple times..

13 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Not every team name has to be locally sourced, and I don't think Alabama is getting an NFL team any time soon. And as you pointed out, with DC being the nation's capital, they kinda represent all Americans, especially military.

12 minutes ago, SCL said:

I get what you are saying but they represented the nation, so I don't view it as a stretch that a team out of DC would honor them.

11 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

I like it because DC is a place filled with memorials to things that happened all over the place, why not this too? 

A team name does not need to be locally sourced (although IMO, in the modern era, the better ones are), but in this case it would feel to me a little too much like "borrowing" another city/state's historical legacy, regardless of whether they ever would have an NFL franchise or not. DC standing in for "all military" kind of makes sense, I suppose, but still rings a little hollow to me since the specific Tuskegee connection really supersedes that, IMO .

Having said that, I'd much prefer a name like Red Tails instead of something painfully generic like Warriors.

Not a surprising move. I'm interested to see what the public/media sentiment towards Snyder will be long term. If I were in charge of the redesign I would make a complete 180. New colors. A name as different from the previous identity as possible (No red and gold, no double syllable name, no circular logo etc). Give people the clean break and rebrand they're asking for. If it's reminiscent of the old team (IMO) it will inevitably become problematic and feed the media cycle once more.

9 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Will it get to the point where they'll ban Redskins apparel from the stadium?

No, that's impractical, and impossible to enforce. There's also a distinction here between agreeing to change the name and logo and erasing history. Perhaps the more interesting question is whether the team and league will, after a passage of time, allow retailers and manufacturers to produce throwback gear for the Redskins. 

The University of North Dakota continues to produce Fighting Sioux gear under a Dakotah Heritage retail label, primarily to prevent the trademark from lapsing. I'd be curious whether the same situation would apply to the Redskins. 

UPDATE: Looked up the UND circumstances, and the NCAA required the university to keep the Fighting Sioux trademark, and the only way to do so was to use it on product. The Redskins wouldn't be under the same restrictions, of course, but the issue may still apply. Perhaps a resident IP expert could weigh in. 

Archived