Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

To make a post that's actually on topic, since they're removing their helmet stripes and adding gold to the sides, it's going to be a super old-school look that should have a gray facemask.  We know the league allows facemask changes at any time now, so that's what they should do.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to dispute that Washington is an old school team, but I would say there have been enough changes in their history — shifting shades of red, alternating between white and gold pants, the yellow helmet era, brownish-gold numbers and all the rest — that they shouldn’t feel obligated to change as little as possible.

keep the team colors, sure, of course. But striping changes, maybe a new typeface someday, the dreaded facemask debate ... there’s room for change.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

25 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I think it would look a lot better with a grey facemask

I think it looks too bare without stripes, and I thing the grey facemask only works if the Washington Football Team goes back to the burgundy shade they used on the 70th anniversary "spear" uniforms. The current burgundy looks better with a gold facemask.

4 minutes ago, Digby said:

Not to dispute that Washington is an old school team, but I would say there have been enough changes in their history — shifting shades of red, alternating between white and gold pants, the yellow helmet era, brownish-gold numbers and all the rest — that they shouldn’t feel obligated to change as little as possible.

keep the team colors, sure, of course. But striping changes, maybe a new typeface someday, the dreaded facemask debate ... there’s room for change.

I’d equate all of their changes from inception up until now to essentially a game of Tetris. A bunch of moving parts that can be moved around without any true deviation from the end goal.

3 minutes ago, lost_limey said:

I think it looks too bare without stripes, and I thing the grey facemask only works if the Washington Football Team goes back to the burgundy shade they used on the 70th anniversary "spear" uniforms. The current burgundy looks better with a gold facemask.

I’m gonna have to say no to that.

spacer.png

^That helmet looks bad with that set because it's the modern burgundy with an old school fauxback set. Grey facemask with he modern helmet doesn't look as nice as gold facemask with the modern helmet to me, as a fan of the team. If the new identity goes with the burgundy shade fro those jerseys for the helmet, then grey makes sense. Grey with that burgundy just looks bad in my opinion. If they had the leather looking helmet, grey facemasks all the way.

15 minutes ago, lost_limey said:

^That helmet looks bad with that set because it's the modern burgundy with an old school fauxback set. Grey facemask with he modern helmet doesn't look as nice as gold facemask with the modern helmet to me, as a fan of the team. If the new identity goes with the burgundy shade fro those jerseys for the helmet, then grey makes sense. Grey with that burgundy just looks bad in my opinion. If they had the leather looking helmet, grey facemasks all the way.

The stripeless helmet looks cheap with a gold facemask. Stripes make it look complete. A grey facemask allows a team to go stripeless and not have to worry about any other elements on the helmet.

21 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I’m gonna have to say no to that.

spacer.png

actually now that I see it, the super metallicy helmet clashes with the flat-gray facemask.  If they were to go back to the older glossy finish, it'd be great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

I’m pretty sure they did switch back already.

spacer.png

Being a fan of Washington I’ve noticed over the past few seasons that it seemed like the helmet finish has always differed from season to season. Sometimes it seems glossy and other times it’s more of a metallic finish.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I like the idea of "history books." Like one day there will be some grand tome of all that has happened, including name changes, franchise relocations, and whether the Browns are the Browns are not.

Most of this stuff is kind of silly. And we all know the name WTF used for 90 years. What benefit do we get for continuing to use it? CCSLC is probably archived somewhere, but the Library of Congress we are not.

Nice typo. Probably more accurate, though 🙂

It's where I sit.

I know this is trending a bit backwards, but just looking now at the (Washington Football Team) Sportslogos page, what was the deal with that one year change in 1982 when they flipped the logo and curled the feathers along the circle?

EDIT: I see the team name change thing did work. I was honestly kind of worried I was missing the joke, like that screenshot of that forum conversation (I think it was 4chan, but don't quote me on that) where somebody said that the forum automatically replaces credit card numbers with X's and then another guy just straight up posted his credit card info.

EDIT #2: It was a 4chan screenshot, but it was Social Security numbers, not credit card (self-edit by me to remove the number in the picture, just to play it safe)

Spoiler

LnVzZfv.png

IbjBaeE.png

This gets better and better.

I love it when racists try to justify being racist. Literally everyone can see it except you, guy. You should leave like you said you were going to, because you keep digging that hole deeper and deeper.

Edit: Oh wow, looks like the thread left me behind. Oh well, hopefully this will be the last word on that ridiculous little blow-up.

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

It isn't that the same nickname can't be used by franchises playing in the different North American major pro sports leagues. The examples you've pointed out are proof that such a scenario can occur. Rather, the move away from the same nickname being used by teams playing in the different major pro leagues is likely due to the majority of modern franchises wanting to carve out a unique space for themselves in the highly competitive pro sports marketplace. Whether for purposes of advertising, marketing, or with an eye towards licensed product merchandising, today's teams want to own their space. The vast majority feel that the best way to do so is by adopting a unique identity.    

...and "Knights" would have been unique in PRO sports how did a lowly OHL team prevent Vegas from doing whatever they wanted...

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

18 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I know this is trending a bit backwards, but just looking now at the (Washington Football Team) Sportslogos page, what was the deal with that one year change in 1982 when they flipped the logo and curled the feathers along the circle?

I wanna say the Washington Football Team went to the circular logo because the straight-feathered decal was starting to fit weird helmet, the more they became modernized. But then backlash happened -- Not sure if that story is entirely true tho

6uXNWAo.png

8 minutes ago, Cujo said:

I wanna say the Washington Football Team went to the circular logo because the straight-feathered decal was starting to fit weird helmet, the more they became modernized. But then backlash happened -- Not sure if that story is entirely true tho

In the comments on the site below the logo, Disqus user 80CJ said this (way back on Saturday, August 10, 2013 at 8:13 p.m.),

I found this; "In 1982 there was a one season change that had the Indian feathers curve around the ring of the Indian head rather than hang vertically. This change was made to make the decal easier to apply to the helmet without creasing. When a more flexible vinyl was introduced the next season the team returned to the vertically positioned feather design."

Now I don't know 80CJ, but I'm willing to take their word for it because it seems plausible.

IbjBaeE.png

Archived