Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

There are no winners in social media battles. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if these roundels are part of their official identity package or just something that Fanatics put together for merchandise.

yyCymuk.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think it's more balanced for them if white is on the helmet.  I consider white one of their colors, not just a "color they have to have".

There are some teams that only use white because they have to, whether it's for contrast, or the mandatory color of away jerseys.  While WTF fancies themselves as "burgundy and gold", I think they use enough white in areas where it's not necessary to consider it a third color for them.  Therefore, due to the overall color balance, and my desire for all three of their colors to be on their helmet, either the numbers should be white, there should be a white stripe, or (I'll settle for) the facemask should be gray, which isn't white, but is kinda sorta like dirty white, and it's a third color and white facemasks suck so I'll treat gray like it's white.

At various points, Washington, DC's football team has even worn white as its primary home jersey. My preference would have been white numbers and keeping the old stripes, but the new look is working surprisingly well for me right now.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Give it time.  Some bigots will stubbornly hold on, but most people will embrace the future.  

This. I know a lot of people who had very negative, visceral reactions back when the first anthem kneelings were happening that have totally turned around. Some people may never change, but I think most will with time.

37 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

I wonder if these roundels are part of their official identity package or just something that Fanatics put together for merchandise.

yyCymuk.png

I hope that's the logo. What I see right now is just not going to cut it in any way. The pic below is at the bottom of NFL.com and it's honestly ridiculous.

p8IQ7Aa.png

bSLCtu2.png

3 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Part of me wants to go really hard on buying lots of Washington Football merch for fun, but a hopefully stronger part of me is trying to fight against my desire to vaporize my money.

LOL I’ll definitely purchase a cap though.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

10 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

EeGP6_zXsAMCMw4?format=png&name=large

Looks like that's straight from Landon Collins' Instagram.

So it would appear we got some bad Photoshop renders earlier. Sleeve striping and pants striping don't seem to have changed. 

The thing that jumps out at me is the yellow bumper under the earhole on the helmet. I don't recall seeing one of those before, or at least not in a contrasting colour.

22 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

The thing that jumps out at me is the yellow bumper under the earhole on the helmet. I don't recall seeing one of those before, or at least not in a contrasting colour.

Yeah, I really hate those things. The team has been using them for the last couple of seasons. They are a feature of newer model Schutt helmets.  Most teams elect to have it match the rest of the shell, but the Football Team doesn't....

spacer.png

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

Looks like that's straight from Landon Collins' Instagram.

So it would appear we got some bad Photoshop renders earlier. Sleeve striping and pants striping don't seem to have changed. 

Hopefully true.  On the other hand, it might just be the team wearing last year's gear in practice. I suspect that if you looked at pics from this year training camp for the Patriots, Falcons, Browns, Rams, etc. they are probably not wearing their new game uniforms either.

WTF is the yellow part under the ear hole?  I thought it was just his mouth guard jammed in there, but it looks integrated with the helmet.  

If that's an add-on that's in a team color, then do all the helmets have it, or just whatever model that is?  To me that seems to be the kind of thing that should be burgundy unless everyone has it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I actually really like it as a primary logo. Put it in a roundel and call it a day.

ihZ0CJY.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I feel like this was such a lazy albeit temporary update to the helmet.  If it were me, I would have kept the stripes, used the new "W" in burgundy with gold trim, threw it in a white circle with gold trim and stopped there.  Wouldn't be much of a culture shock and would probably be worthy of a full-time look regardless of what the new nickname becomes.  

It just doesn't seem necessary to remove the helmet stripes. 

12 minutes ago, kutztown said:

I feel like this was such a lazy albeit temporary update to the helmet.  If it were me, I would have kept the stripes, used the new "W" in burgundy with gold trim, threw it in a white circle with gold trim and stopped there.  Wouldn't be much of a culture shock and would probably be worthy of a full-time look regardless of what the new nickname becomes.  

Make it look different to get certain people more accepting of the fact that the name changed. If it looks just like it used to, it is more likely to be called just like it used to.

It's where I sit.

21 minutes ago, kutztown said:

Putting the new W on there would make it seem more important than what it actually is, which is just a placeholder.  I don't think they want to use any of the new stuff more than they absolutely have to, because they need to make it as simple as possible to adopt the new stuff once it's ready without having to undo more than they already have to.

Archived