Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

31 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

because it is infuriating.  Not as infuriating as when a 90% member's posts are just copy/pastes of the same thing year-in and year-out, but still infuriating.

If it was just equipment, then it'd be required to be a consistent color league wide, like the chinstraps.  Teams are free to color their mask as they see fit, and considering it's literally a logo, it cannot be considered 'equipment' by any reasonable person who's open to discuss topics.

You like gray masks.  We get it.  We've gotten it for a decade now.  They're no different than anything else - they work sometimes, and they don't work others.  

Other than chinstraps, what other types equipment have single color restrictions? Based on observation white, black, and team colors are readily accepted colors for varying types of equipment.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn’t mean to strike a nerve. I just don’t have a problem with the grey masks like I thought I would, and I don’t think any of us would had the 70s Chargers (thanks AgentColon) decided not to make things a little spicy.

I have no issue with the shell being the only customizable part of a helmet just purely on room to play with alone. Is there any reason teams can’t mess with the chin straps? I don’t think it’s that far fetched to apply whatever logic they are using for the face masks as well. I’m not dying on this hill, I was just surprised that I didn’t mind it.

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

Other than chinstraps, what other types equipment have single color restrictions? Based on observation white, black, and team colors are readily accepted colors for varying types of equipment.

I'm really not sure if there are any other than the chinstrap and helmet bumpers.  In 2020, pretty much everything down to sweatbands is regulated and while technically not part of a uniform since not everyone wears accessories, they need to be team colored.

If a team wants an old school look (and it makes sense for them) or simply feels like it looks good, then that's a good enough reason for a gray facemask.  But if you want to call it equipment, then every team's should be the same color.

I'm tired of every thread being interrupted with this "back in my day everyone wore gray" trolling schtick.

10 minutes ago, JLJ said:

Didn’t mean to strike a nerve. I just don’t have a problem with the grey masks like I thought I would, and I don’t think any of us would had the 70s Chargers (thanks AgentColon) decided not to make things a little spicy.

I have no issue with the shell being the only customizable part of a helmet just purely on room to play with alone. Is there any reason teams can’t mess with the chin straps? I don’t think it’s that far fetched to apply whatever logic they are using for the face masks as well. I’m not dying on this hill, I was just surprised that I didn’t mind it.

The big difference between facemask and chinstrap is that as safety equipment, the chinstrap needs to be instantly identifiable so a ref can see if it's buckled or not, or if the player supidly decided to remove it altogether.

Facemasks are obviously also for safety, but they're integrated into the helmet in a way that the player doesn't have to consiously attach them and it can be safely assumed that they're there.

To put it a different way (homeowners should understand this): over-the-range microwave = fixture, countertop microwave = removable appliance.  Facemask = fixture, chinstrap = removable appliance.

That being said, I like the gray for the WTFs.

See?  I can make a point and then back it up with reasoning and examples that prove it, rather than simply saying "you're wrong things were better in the 70s" and then running away.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 minutes ago, selby56 said:

The gray facemask lovers vs the gray facemask haters is one helluva rivarly. It has a long history with very passionate fan bases. 

Just to be clear - I'm not a gray hater.  I'm a "good" lover, and a "bad" hater.  Gray can fall under both categories.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Moseph said:

It's too bad they had to ruin the helmet this year. It would've looked great if they had kept the stripes and gone with the 'W' on the sides rather than the stupid numbers.

logoless with stripes would have been a superior option to stripeless with numbers considering they already have sleeve numbers

2 hours ago, JustForFun said:

Buccaneers are still wrong, though. The flag decal is quite a bit bigger than pictured.

Buccaneers went back to a normal-sized logo as part of the recent rebrand.  They're still using the wrong flag logo, but at least now it's normal-sized.

38 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Buccaneers went back to a normal-sized logo as part of the recent rebrand.  They're still using the wrong flag logo, but at least now it's normal-sized.

It's still oversized, just not as much.  Definitely not normal sized.  They published the percent change when they unveiled.  It's still consideralbly bigger than the original version.

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The obsolete helmets for the Rams and Chargers, as well as the missing Buccaneers and Ravens, was poking my ocd so here is the updated version, for your viewing pleasure and/or displeasure. 

spacer.png

Washington's helmet looks GREAT in this lineup. I hope the design is a hit this season and they stick with it

might just be the lighting butt I think a darker more throwbacky gray works better. 

I love the Browns when they did orange/brown/gray.  Burgundy (or maroon) and gray is also a great combo, but when you throw in another warm color like fake-gold?  It's even better.

Tell me this doesn't look good.

95894a_lg.jpeg

I thought that it was made an official rule that unnecessary PL mentions were considered thread derailers and subject to discipline?

Archived