Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

Actually, there's an argument to be made that I successfully posted the Winnipeg Jets into reality from 2004-2011. Maybe I'm already set.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Washington Football Team is a perfect name to reflect this powerful moment in America. Athletes (Pro and Amateur) have demanded to be able to express their political opinions and affiliations on television and social media. All major professional (and amateur) sports leagues have given their blessing and said "We will not punish or boycott you if you express yourself. We value personal freedom of expression and we support you!".

It's not about mascots, it's not about a tough or magical name, heck it's not even about history. It's about a bunch of people going to work as a team and trying to accomplish a goal; to win...together.

Washington Football Team. Go Team.

12 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Seeing this stuff makes me wish they had done a special collection of First Nations merchandise this season and donated the profits back to them. I think people would have gotten behind that both socially and financially, but this “Washington Football Team” gear? I’d be surprised if they sell any of it. Seems like such a missed opportunity when they could have done something that turned heads and made an impact. They desperately need some good PR. 😂

That would require Dan Snyder to not be a horrible human being.  Was never going to happen. 

19 hours ago, canzman said:

So I have seen the official NFL docs finally. They show the old 2 stripe pants the team has had in both white and burgundy as well as the yellow pants. It also shows solid all burgundy socks and the striped burgundy socks traditionally worn with the yellow pants.

So the renders showed new 3 stripe pants and a Denver like mid-calf striped sock.

The helmet shown in the logo slick show no outline on the numbers where the render showed white outlines.

At this point I am unsure what we will get until they are on the field. These logo slicks are historically rushed and inaccurate, but so can the renders be. I mean We all remember the Patriots release earlier this year with the wrong pant.

Guess we all have to wait and see

We have yellow pants after all? Sweet

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

sparky chewbarky got his wish of the Seattle Kraken, Prologo got his wish of generic Washington Sports Team merchandise, I'm a terrible CCSLC poster, when do I get to manifest my dreams?

The Toronto Maple Leafs are now the Toronto Ice Hogzz. 

You’re welcome.

20 hours ago, heavybass said:

We have yellow pants after all? Sweet

Keep in mind just b/c something is in the logo slick/style guide doesn't mean it will see the light of day.

The Bears had orange pants in the guide from 2012 until 2015 and they were never worn.

The Browns had orange pants and an orange jersey in their previous set and neither were worn together and we only saw the jersey in 2015 and 2016 neither were used in 2017.

Pants and socks are played with loose and fast by the NFL. The league doesn't sell replica socks and pants so they are very lenient on teams changing, adding or not ever using something.

The Saints white pants from last year (non-color rush) were not in the guide last season and still are not in the guide this season.

43 minutes ago, 1insaneguy said:

I seriously don't understand the appeal of the yellow pants. 

They look way better with with the Maroon jersey than the white pants. My only gripe with them is the stripe inconsistencies and the use of black cleats with them in the past.

5 minutes ago, lost_limey said:

It's burgundy & gold, not maroon and yellow.

Washington fans (including myself) are huge sticklers when it comes to this. The team has always been burgundy & gold. It’s a real sharp pain to the heart when someone refers to their colors as “maroon & yellow”. Burgundy & Gold is even a team nickname. However, let’s be real... those pants are yellow and most definitely the same shade as Green Bay & Pittsburgh.

4 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Washington fans (including myself) are huge sticklers when it comes to this. The team has always been burgundy & gold. It’s a real sharp pain to the heart when someone refers to their colors as “maroon & yellow”. Burgundy & Gold is even a team nickname. However, let’s be real... those pants are yellow and most definitely the same shade as Green Bay & Pittsburgh.

Exactly.  Gold.

fvdVDwR.png

1 hour ago, 1insaneguy said:

I seriously don't understand the appeal of the yellow pants. 

Really?  To me, they just make to whole uniform hold together better. It's like trying to picture USC in white pants... ick.  Plus, the stupid gold facemask looks marginally less stupid when the pants are gold.  Balances out better. When they wear white pants the stupid gold facemask looks like whoever designed the helmet forgot to consult with whoever designed the pants.

3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Clearly the solution here is for the WFT to use Vegas gold. Nobody can whine about the semantics then when people call them the Maroon and Gold, now can they? 😜 

Except that Vegas gold just looks like watered down beige with the Nike fabrics.  Athletic Gold > Metallic Gold > Vegas Gold IMO.

On 7/31/2020 at 10:48 PM, DNAsports said:

Yeah isnt most of that stuff stock designs that are used for other teams too?

24 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Really?  To me, they just make to whole uniform hold together better. It's like trying to picture USC in white pants... ick.  Plus, the stupid gold facemask looks marginally less stupid when the pants are gold.  Balances out better. When they wear white pants the stupid gold facemask looks like whoever designed the helmet forgot to consult with whoever designed the pants.

From a design standpoint, I just don't like the striping inconsistency. Maybe if I see them in action this season with the new helmet, I'll like them better. 

About the facemask, though, looking in this thread has kind of sold me on the idea of gray being a better color for that, so I agree with you in the sense that the gold facemask is a little much. 

Archived