Ottawa Senators unveil primary logo, to unveil uniforms Oct. 6

crashcarson15

54 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Symmetry like that is undesirable. The white stripes are very necessary, to properly do the barberpole homage.

I think this is kind of a different strokes sort of thing; I actually really enjoy symmetry such as that in some cases, and have always appreciated the way that Senators set worked. That’s not to say the white stripes looked awful or anything (I think they still looked good), and that’s also not to say that symmetry such as that is an absolute rule either. But there’s just some cases here and there where cohesive symmetry really speaks to me personally, and the black-striped Senators is one of those. I remember how satisfying it was as a kid playing EA NHL and realizing on the jersey select that when I switched back and forth between the two sweaters, the only thing that changed was the sweater base and number color. I dunno, that’s just me :) 

I also don’t feel the Senators have to do any kind of barberpole homages on thier primaries, either. I think they can easily do what they’re about to do for home and away, and have a barberpole alternate work great. I don’t see them clashing all that much as it is, with shared colors and all. If “best of both worlds” can work in your identity (as I believe they absolutely can in Ottawa’s case), there’s no reason to sacrifice one for the other. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Of course, only one jersey did the Roman right:

spacer.png

Put the updated 2D logo on it and use block numbers (with a Peace Tower shoulder patch) and you’d be set with the Roman. 

This is the only true choice for jersey base.  I wouldn't go block numbers, mostly because everything else about the identity is very curved.  Maybe a block-like font with curved edges or some such, but not angular block.

I still will never understand why people like the utterly crap Peace Tower logo.  It's terrible.  Awful.  Putrid.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

8 minutes ago, -kj said:

This is the only true choice for jersey base.  I wouldn't go block numbers, mostly because everything else about the identity is very curved.  Maybe a block-like font with curved edges or some such, but not angular block.

I still will never understand why people like the utterly crap Peace Tower logo.  It's terrible.  Awful.  Putrid.

I made a better one.

XqLM6TK.png?1

So did @mcrosby

ogOoTOt.png

...and @hockey week:

5935c1f4b66f9_ottawasenatorspeacetowerlogo5copy.png.e584a0af15fedc31e9928c7b76745795.png

Heck, the "O Peace Tower" makes for an excellent primary crest, if you don't want the Roman look back. It references the nickname better, while calling back to the Silver Seven. Heck, on a Roman third-based or Roman/'20s hybrid design, it's a good way to connect the two identities.

12 minutes ago, -kj said:

It's the only logo this version of the Senators have ever had that ties in with the team name. 

32 minutes ago, -kj said:

I wouldn't go block numbers, mostly because everything else about the identity is very curved.

Not really? The striping is completely straight aside from the laurels. The most curved thing on that jersey is the Serpentine NOB font, and that'd be better off being scrapped altogether and replaced by some form of block font anyways.

32 minutes ago, -kj said:

I like that it has that rougher look to it, honestly. It feels like a logo the original Senators could have eventually gone towards had they survived into an era of design like the 70's or 80's.

Plus, it's not like they have many other good-looking secondaries to begin with. Outside of the Peace Tower, they have the shield and the O with a bit of a banner; and of those three, the Peace Tower is the most explicitly "Ottawa" and the most interesting visually. The original secondary is just the primary with an S in the place of the actual logo and the less we see of Flesh-Toned 3D Sen, the better.

Of the concepts SF posted, I like MCrosby's third one the best; it's the perfect modernization of the logo and keeps the unique shape.

9 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

At the same time, I do think the white adds that needed bit of brightness. The black and red alone is fine, but it's not all that brightly-colored, and that could end up being a little difficult for some to make out in a fast game, like the Lightning and Sharks' stealth jerseys.

I disagree; the lines on the original logo are really thin, and I don't think it holds up all that well as a modern logo for that reason. Shrink it down to a small size JPEG, and a lot of it's detail gets harder to see because of that. It doesn't scale as well at low resolutions compared to the updated version.

The vintage's face especially suffers from becoming mostly a big white blob with little definition at really small sizes, and the black outline around the entire logo becomes basically invisible. The modernized logo has a better defined face and helmet because of the thicker linework.

The lines could be bumped up a bit, yes, but it looks fine embroidered. The modernised one which everyone has a hard on for is too heavy in this regar and loses that elegance which the original has. I'm not saying it shouldn't have some minor tweaks, but they should be minor.

Fair points about the white on the jersey. Maybe keep it minimal.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I like all those Peace Tower concepts, but they'd have to lose the Canadian flags, because those would be impossible to make out at shoulder-patch sizes. The one without it, which is the one closest to what the Sens actually used, ends up being the leader.

Would there be a good symbolic time to put on the clock? No, not that time, but maybe 1:07 for 1 July? Is that too clever for its own good?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I like all those Peace Tower concepts, but they'd have to lose the Canadian flags, because those would be impossible to make out at shoulder-patch sizes. The one without it, which is the one closest to what the Sens actually used, ends up being the leader.

Would there be a good symbolic time to put on the clock? No, not that time, but maybe 1:07 for 1 July? Is that too clever for its own good?

The hands would be very close to each other for 1:07. Maybe 7:01?

I saw, I came, I left.

33 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Perhaps go with 9:02 as a reference to the club's first season of play?

If that's the update, then man, I'd be dissapointed. Removing basically all of the red from the logo except in the plume and going for a pale shade of gold is a really dumb move, since gold and black is heavily associated with their provincial rival right now.

Talk about painting yourself into a corner with a name.

- Hey, let's draw from the past and call ourselves the "Senators".

- OK, except that, today, a senator's an old fart sucking from the public trough-the position should actually be abolished.

- OK, let's give it a 'Roman Senator' spin.

- OK, except a Roman Senator was an old fart sucking from the public trough, in a toga.

- OK, we'll use a Roman Legionnaire as the mascot.

- OK, what else?

- How about the letter "O"?

- Looks like a zero.

- OK, how's about the Peace Tower?

- zzzzzzz

-  (I wish Hamilton had've gotten the franchise) 

31 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

If that's the update, then man, I'd be dissapointed. Removing basically all of the red from the logo except in the plume and going for a pale shade of gold is a really dumb move, since gold and black is heavily associated with their provincial rival right now.

Are the Maple Leafs doing a Drake Night I'm unaware of?

1 minute ago, IceCap said:

Are the Maple Leafs doing a Drake Night I'm unaware of?

Was being a bit more broad, considering that the Raptors and Drake are pushing black and gold pretty heavily. Obviously the Leafs haven't been as prolific about it (I'd expect so from such a brand), but black and metallic gold does have a sort of connection to the city currently.

That, and there are black and gold Leafs jerseys kicking around the internet, so clearly there's some kind of market for black and gold Leafs fashion jerseys.

On 7/16/2020 at 9:25 AM, SFGiants58 said:

spacer.png

Put the updated 2D logo on it and use block numbers (with a Peace Tower shoulder patch) and you’d be set with the Roman. 

One of things I love about the jersey: the olive leaf pattern stripe. It’s very unique. 

they should’ve brought back and update the olive pattern by reverse the colours (black striping, gold pattern) or a gold striping with a silhouette leaf pattern like Vegas’s.  

I know many people wanted the Silver Seven Jerseys become their full-time uniforms( no, I love these jerseys!), But the modern Senators are a 1992 expansion team, not the 1897-1934 original team. Yes, I still love the black =O= jerseys, but I hope they bring as their alternate again. 

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I think it looks great. I'm sure the colour thing is a legit concern and all that (I'm not over there) but in a vacuum it looks fantastic.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

There’s probably an alternate reality where the Senators lean into a part of the Roman theme that would be more appropriate to the government aspect and they have an identity heavily featuring fasces. Too bad in this one it was coopted by, well, fascists. Although if they do decide to push the Roman theme further they could try an SPQO patch

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived