NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Considering salmon isn’t part of the color scheme, I think it’s fair to say that is, indeed, wrong. 😂

I'm actually glad they didn't go with salmon. They went with Kraken not Sockeyes, so a salmon colour wouldn't really feel appropriate. All it would do is soften up their look, which I would argue is already a bit soft becuase of the light blues. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/10/2020 at 3:16 PM, Ridleylash said:

Some glove concepts for Seattle that Bauer's floating around. I love the first two.

Sometimes, there's a very practical reason why there's a uniform aesthetic standard.

For example, light-coloured pants (white or tan) look pretty neat for a single game, but for an entire season they'd get pretty grubby-looking, pretty fast, from sliding down the pine.

I imagine that the only-1-colour standard for gloves per season is a holdover from the days when players only received 1 pair of gloves for an entire season.

Jeez, some players today use a couple of pairs of gloves per game. 

So, in today's game, a different colour glove for home and away is quite do-able.

Vegas showed us that white gloves look fantastic with the white away sweaters and helmets..

I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle and other teams start following that trend.

Anyway, I agree with Ridleylash. 1&2

If we look at the Kraken Jersey though, with the light blue closer to the shoulder, going down to the dark blue near the wrists. I think the only choice is the dark blue gloves.  That's true on both the home and away.  With the "Adidas speak" it's supposed to represent going down the depth of the ocean.  So I dont think adding white or lighter colored gloves would fit with the identity.  

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

On 8/16/2020 at 1:06 PM, lilgump said:

If we look at the Kraken Jersey though, with the light blue closer to the shoulder, going down to the dark blue near the wrists. I think the only choice is the dark blue gloves.  That's true on both the home and away.  With the "Adidas speak" it's supposed to represent going down the depth of the ocean.  So I dont think adding white or lighter colored gloves would fit with the identity.  

Good point. Gloves usually look better, IMO, when they match the lower sleeve colour (the part that runs into the glove).

So yes, if the uni concepts are accurate, with dark blue being the fore-arm colour on both home and away, a mostly dark blue glove colour would look best on both.

On 8/10/2020 at 6:52 PM, Gothamite said:

Why are they going to be constantly compared to the Golden Knights?  Just because they entered the league subsequently?   That’ll fade as time goes on. 

Before Vegas joined the league we had almost 20 years without expansion. 32 is a nice even number, so I can't see anymore teams being added for a while. The Golden Knights had the most successful inaugural season in league history, and Seattle gets to play by the same rules for their expansion draft.

The comparison might fade eventually, but it's going to be a prominent story for their first few seasons at least.

spacer.png

My Kraken hat arrived today (47 Clean Up).  Raised embroidery, looks pretty good, but doesn't even seem like they attempted to put the shape of the tentacle suckers in there.  Like, maybe there's a hint of an attempt towards the bottom?  With the suckers in relatively shallow relief on the actual logo, I was curious how much they'd show up on applications like this.  Not very much, I suppose.  Oh well!  This hat's gonna get a lot of wear, so maybe they'll have figured out how to better embroider that shape by the time I'm ready to refresh.

On 8/25/2020 at 5:19 PM, DPHF said:

spacer.png

My Kraken hat arrived today (47 Clean Up).  Raised embroidery, looks pretty good, but doesn't even seem like they attempted to put the shape of the tentacle suckers in there.  Like, maybe there's a hint of an attempt towards the bottom?  With the suckers in relatively shallow relief on the actual logo, I was curious how much they'd show up on applications like this.  Not very much, I suppose.  Oh well!  This hat's gonna get a lot of wear, so maybe they'll have figured out how to better embroider that shape by the time I'm ready to refresh.

That is a disappointment about the hint of tentacle 

11 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

It's the most clever part of the logo but at that size, it's not horribly surprising they omitted this detail.

Yeah, I'm wondering what the brand guidelines say for usage and application of shrunken down logos, because the suckers would just look like a poor stitch job at that size. Maybe that hat application sans-suckers is proper according to the guidelines.

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I'd imagine they just have a simplified version without the suckers in the style guide for this kind of application. It's not exactly uncommon practice for teams to have various styles of logo for various merchandise applications.

There’s no specific small-scale version, and there’s no “master” embroidery digitization because that would be unique to each size. Licensees and their factories will do their own digitizing for whatever sizes they need, so it’s really up to them and what they think works best within their capabilities. It’ll be interesting to see how others compare once more product starts hitting the market. It’s pretty tough to get any good detailing at that size with embroidery.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

15 hours ago, selgy said:

That is a disappointment about the hint of tentacle 

Y'know, it is pretty disappointing. But not as disappointing as all those Sheeple Who've Been Wearing This Hat Around For A Week Without Ever Giving That Detail A Second Look Or A Single Tear Or A Lost Night Of Sleep are to their parents.  

AM I RIGHT?!

On 8/25/2020 at 2:19 PM, DPHF said:

spacer.png

We had the same plan! I got a ‘47 clean up as well. But fortunately mine has a *little* bit of tentacle detail. I’ve already been wearing the heck out of it. I’ll probably get an anchor one, although I’m waiting for them to make a franchise fitted. 

spacer.png

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

15 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

We had the same plan! I got a ‘47 clean up as well. But fortunately mine has a *little* bit of tentacle detail. I’ve already been wearing the heck out of it. I’ll probably get an anchor one, although I’m waiting for them to make a franchise fitted. 

I got a '47 Clean Up as well and mine is just like yours. Slightly visible detail on the tentacle. 

• 2 weeks later...

With today's social media world, I find it surprising that the Kraken are still running with the @NHLSeattle_ Twitter name, especially with their Instagram and Facebook both being @SeattleKraken.

I know changing your username removes the blue checkmark on Twitter, if they are worried about that, but there's a workaround as evidenced by the Edmonton and Washington Football Teams changing their Twitter account names and still having the checkmarks.

Or they are worried about losing the pre-Kraken brand they built up with the @NHLSeattle_ account name, which would be kind of dumb if that was the case.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

With today's social media world, I find it surprising that the Kraken are still running with the @NHLSeattle_ Twitter name, especially with their Instagram and Facebook both being @SeattleKraken.

I know changing your username removes the blue checkmark on Twitter, if they are worried about that, but there's a workaround as evidenced by the Edmonton and Washington Football Teams changing their Twitter account names and still having the checkmarks.

Or they are worried about losing the pre-Kraken brand they built up with the @NHLSeattle_ account name, which would be kind of dumb if that was the case.

I think might be reading too much into it? It seems as though someone is sitting on @seattlekraken on Twitter and he's probably hoping for a pay day or tickets?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

36 minutes ago, kimball said:

I think might be reading too much into it? It seems as though someone is sitting on @seattlekraken on Twitter and he's probably hoping for a pay day or tickets?

Yeah, I'd have to imagine that guy would have something to do with it.

Account name squatting sucks, but that account has existed since 2013, (though it doesn't mean his account name was always @seattlekraken the entire time) and the guy wrote a Medium "article" back in 2014 saying Seattle needs an NHL team and it should be called Kraken, so maybe he does deserve something if the Kraken want the @.

IbjBaeE.png

I like it better. All the blues the team uses should have a greenish cast to them. It's more marine that way, and multi-blue palettes were beyond played out before the Jets took it on.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived