NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

15 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Funny, the 06 Ducks redesign has really grown on me after all these years. The black ones at least. I used to hate them and obviously, they should have never went away from the Mighty Ducks colors but I still find those black jerseys alright. Maybe it's because it's an upgrade over their current set which is awful, save for the orange alternate

I feel the same way, had they gone with what I believe was the original plan to use the webbed D alone instead of the horrible wordmark, these would be viewed much more positively. Maybe squish the numbers to their current size because they were enormous.

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

In the case of Seattle, I don't see much of the problem. I see why they kept the red to a minimum--though I can't help but to imagine what a "Red Alert" alternate sweater would look like...probably red tide or something, lol. 

Oh please god no dont give them ideas. MIght as well introduce a red alt for Winnipeg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/25/2021 at 9:32 PM, monkeypower said:

I never said anything about the hem stripes (though the combination of the hem striping and sleeve striping does make Seattle's jerseys similar to the Ducks orange jersey).

It is the similarities of the overall striping pattern as seen on Seattle's sleeves and as will be seen on their socks.

Ever since the switch in 06/07, the Ducks have used that striping pattern of body colour/big second colour/smaller third colour/body colour/thin fourth colour/body colour. Look at the retired number banners for Niedermayer and Selanne and tell me you don't see similarities to the sleeve striping of Seattle.

?m=02&d=20190218&t=2&i=1357716494&w=640&

You keep moving the goal posts from “palette swapped Ducks jerseys”, to  “but the stripes are in the same order” to then “ but only the sleeve stripes, and only when they are straight” just face it they aren’t palette swapped ducks jerseys which was the original argument 

5 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The turn of the century expansion teams all used some variation of a full-sleeve yoke, so it isn't unprecedented for teams entering the league at the same time to use similar design elements.

Wow I never noticed but you're right. I'm looking at late 90s uniforms on The NHL DB website and full sleeve yokes were huge back then, like almost a third of the league.  Now it's down to Colorado, Columbus, Philly and Winnipeg (being the only team with a relatively recent uniform, and they only use it on the away jerseys). To a lesser extent, Washington. If you count RR jerseys, you can add 3 teams (SJ, TOR, NSH) but that just goes to show how trendy full sleeve yokes used to be

It would be interesting to start a "uniform trends throughout the years" thread, and try and find similarities across different sports. Teal and purple in the early 90s and darkening existing shades in the late 90s are two obvious trends but I'm sure we could dig deeper and find truly fascinating stuff lol

20 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Wow I never noticed but you're right. I'm looking at late 90s uniforms on The NHL DB website and full sleeve yokes were huge back then, like almost a third of the league.  Now it's down to Colorado, Columbus, Philly and Winnipeg (being the only team with a relatively recent uniform, and they only use it on the away jerseys). To a lesser extent, Washington. If you count RR jerseys, you can add 3 teams (SJ, TOR, NSH) but that just goes to show how trendy full sleeve yokes used to be

It would be interesting to start a "uniform trends throughout the years" thread, and try and find similarities across different sports. Teal and purple in the early 90s and darkening existing shades in the late 90s are two obvious trends but I'm sure we could dig deeper and find truly fascinating stuff lol

Triangular shoulder yokes were another hockey trend that was basically confined to the '90s. The Penguins, Panthers, and Coyotes all had them, and it trickled down to junior hockey too. The London Knights & Halifax Mooseheads used them as well (London went full '90s and recoloured the Panther template with the Might Ducks scheme).

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 minute ago, spartacat_12 said:

Triangular shoulder yokes were another hockey trend that was basically confined to the '90s. The Penguins, Panthers, and Coyotes all had them, and it trickled down to junior hockey too. The London Knights & Halifax Mooseheads used them as well (London went full '90s and recoloured the Panther template with the Might Ducks scheme).

Indeed! I'm still looking at the website ahah. I definitely noticed the rise and fall of the pointy yokes. Which sucks cause I think it looked cool. Another trend that seems to be slowing down even compared to just 10 years ago is the double outline on numbers

33 minutes ago, dont care said:

The breezers need stripes. It’s way too monochromatic right now.

I disagree. Those jerseys are beautiful. The whole set manages to have character while maintaining a high level of simplicity.  Adding stripes to the pants would just needlessly add noise to the look. Sometimes the canvas doesn't need more paint; it needs less. 

5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I disagree. Those jerseys are beautiful. The whole set manages to have character while maintaining a high level of simplicity.  Adding stripes to the pants would just needlessly add noise to the look. Sometimes the canvas doesn't need more paint; it needs less. 

It's already a busy set with plenty of stripes, a gigantic logo, a shoulder patch and 4 colors (5 if you count white on the away jersey!). There's no "high level of simplicity" on this set lol. If anything, pant stripes would just make the whole thing look more cohesive

3 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

I wonder which color they'll use for their eventual alternate. Light blue or red?

Light blue/seafoam would make more sense. I'm not even sure whey felt the need to add red to their very aquatic color scheme. At least with the Knights it kinda made sense because of the Welcome to LV star shoulder patch. Is there a famous red landmark in Seattle or something?

5 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Light blue/seafoam would make more sense. I'm not even sure whey felt the need to add red to their very aquatic color scheme. At least with the Knights it kinda made sense because of the Welcome to LV star shoulder patch. Is there a famous red landmark in Seattle or something?

I don't think it needs to have real significance like that. It just contrasts well with the double blue, and that's all it needs to do.

17 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

It's already a busy set with plenty of stripes, a gigantic logo, a shoulder patch and 4 colors (5 if you count white on the away jersey!). There's no "high level of simplicity" on this set lol. If anything, pant stripes would just make the whole thing look more cohesive

So you're suggesting they take something you think is already too complicated and make it MORE complicated? 

28 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

I don't think it needs to have real significance like that. It just contrasts well with the double blue, and that's all it needs to do.

Why not salmon pink then? Or just a bright, pinkish red? That would fit with the aquatic theme and provide more than enough contrast

23 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

So you're suggesting they take something you think is already too complicated and make it MORE complicated? 

When did I say it was too complicated? I just said it was busy, which it definitely is. Nothing wrong with a busy jersey. But the gear looks very plain in comparison, and why not go for seafoam blue gear, they're an expansion team, no one is gonna be up in arms because it's not safe and traditional. I always thought one of the strongest element in the Knights uniforms were the home and away gloves. I don't think a seafoam stripe on the pants at the very least would ruin the set by making it too loud. And even then, they're allowed and maybe even expected to be loud, they're an expansion team with no prior history

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

this is what i thought of:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQjY70RHrOg/?utm_medium=copy_link

Or the red harken back to the Seattle Metropolitans?

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Archived