NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

Kraken inaugural season patch is pretty sharp. Simple shield shape. Top is ice blue with Mount Rainier, middle is shadow blue, bottom is deep sea blue with waves and has the primary logo in the water.  It's kinda like the whole thing is a graphic showing what their striping pattern represents. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DPHF said:

Kraken inaugural season patch is pretty sharp. Simple shield shape. Top is ice blue with Mount Rainier, middle is shadow blue, bottom is deep sea blue with waves and has the primary logo in the water.  It's kinda like the whole thing is a graphic showing what their striping pattern represents. 

Pic?

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

On 7/28/2021 at 7:40 PM, IceCap said:

Something about the Kraken's set just hasn't sat well with me, despite the sharp colour scheme and layout (conceptual similarities to Vegas' sweaters aside).

I finally figured it out.

It's the logo. It's too big.

It works now, but start adding Captain and Assistant patches, anniversary patches, Cup Final patches....the front of that sweater could get very crowded.

I don't think the logo itself is too big. I think its the outlines. If you look at the borders on the logo, its significantly thicker than any other logo in the league. It gives it a bubbly, cartoony effect that once it was pointed out to me I can't stop seeing.

The light blue colour just feels a bit tacky to me. It's just my own hang-up. I can't quite get past it. Whenever I see the Kraken logo next to almost any of the more established NHL logos, it just feels cheap and not as classy. I guess that might change with time. 

Compared to how I felt about the Vegas logo straight away, it's pretty different. Vegas just looked right from the very beginning.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 7/28/2021 at 8:38 PM, monkeypower said:

Red is already just a fairly common eye colour in art for menacing/spookiness/sinister/whatever synonym you want to use.

I didn't realize that a) according to @Gothamite that it was a late addition because of what I just typed above, would have just assumed it was an early and obvious thing, and b) that people are questioning it because, again, of what I just typed above.

Right. The Baltimore Ravens have a logo with red eyes and don’t use red AT ALL aside from that. Red eyes are menacing. 

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

You're not going to watch a single Kraken game this season then?

Completely forgot that it doesn't kick in this season. My bad.

Guess we'll get to enjoy this look for one season before the inevitable clashing Amazon patch.

Unlike the other sports, the sole focus on the front of a hockey jersey is the team crest.  That should be the only thing there.  Put the ads on the shoulders, or on the back hem or something (I know the advertisers would never pay for the back hem) but the front should have one and only one thing.  That's why numbers sucked as well.

Hockey jerseys have the most real estate of all the major sports.  There's room for ads without creeping in on the team's crest.

Of the 4 major sports, hockey is the least conducive to front ads, followed by baseball, followed by basketball, followed by NFL.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Hockey jerseys have the most real estate of all the major sports.  There's room for ads without creeping in on the team's crest.

Of the 4 major sports, hockey is the least conducive to front ads, followed by baseball, followed by basketball, followed by NFL.

So hockey sweater have the most real estate, but are the least conducive to ads? That's not logical, that's emotional.

Look, I hate ads and don't want them. Your statement doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing other than 'ads bad', which again I agree with.

It's where I sit.

9 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

So hockey sweater have the most real estate, but are the least conducive to ads? That's not logical, that's emotional.

Look, I hate ads and don't want them. Your statement doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing other than 'ads bad', which again I agree with.

Because the front of the hockey jersey is focused solely on the crest (exception of Rangers).  There's (other than that stupid experiment) no front numbers, nothing else except the crest.  The comment about the most real estate is that there's full sleeves that the other sports don't have.  They could go somewhere on the sleeve, or shoulder, but the only mark on the front should be the team crest.  No other brand competing for attention.  Just the crest, and an A or C.

With baseball, you have (for the most part) scripts that aren't the primary logo, and often a front number competing with them, and sometimes pinstripes.  Obviously I HATE the Nike logo there, and would move it anywhere else, but at least there's already other distractions (again - I absolutely HATE the swoosh on the front.)  

Basketball, you have the team wordmark (not primary logo) and a number.  There's the least real estate, but relative to hockey and baseball, it's already pretty cramped (again - I HATE the ad patches) and there's a number that's already competing with the wordmark.

Football there's generally nothing on the front but the numbers - which may be custom, but aren't the logo.

In a case like hockey, where the only thing on the front is the primary logo, and lots of other less-intrusive space, there shouldn't be anything (besides the A and C) on there.

Does that help?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

46 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Because the front of the hockey jersey is focused solely on the crest (exception of Rangers).  There's (other than that stupid experiment) no front numbers, nothing else except the crest.  The comment about the most real estate is that there's full sleeves that the other sports don't have.  They could go somewhere on the sleeve, or shoulder, but the only mark on the front should be the team crest.  No other brand competing for attention.  Just the crest, and an A or C.

With baseball, you have (for the most part) scripts that aren't the primary logo, and often a front number competing with them, and sometimes pinstripes.  Obviously I HATE the Nike logo there, and would move it anywhere else, but at least there's already other distractions (again - I absolutely HATE the swoosh on the front.)  

Basketball, you have the team wordmark (not primary logo) and a number.  There's the least real estate, but relative to hockey and baseball, it's already pretty cramped (again - I HATE the ad patches) and there's a number that's already competing with the wordmark.

Football there's generally nothing on the front but the numbers - which may be custom, but aren't the logo.

In a case like hockey, where the only thing on the front is the primary logo, and lots of other less-intrusive space, there shouldn't be anything (besides the A and C) on there.

Does that help?

Yes. Thanks! I see what you were getting at.

I still don't agree with your conclusion though😁

It's where I sit.

1 minute ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Yes. Thanks! I see what you were getting at.

I still don't agree with your conclusion though😁

I always liked how the Flyers used to put all their patches on their sleeves so as to let the crest stand alone.  It's much less intrusive.

3e4e843aefd4ae02.jpg

Just now, BBTV said:

I always liked how the Flyers used to put all their patches on their sleeves so as to let the crest stand alone.  It's much less intrusive.

3e4e843aefd4ae02.jpg

This is where me, as not a big hockey fan, will miss out on the accepted aesthetic of the game. I get what that is for football and baseball, but not hockey and basketball. 

So, as per usual, you're right 😅😅🤣🤣

It's where I sit.

Yuck.  They should use two S logos rather than one that's sliced right through the eye.

7 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

Yeah, that could be problematic. 

Archived