NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Respectfully disagree - I think this is a great uniform.

Full-Kit.png

8 hours ago, dont care said:

The breezers need stripes. It’s way too monochromatic right now.

The turquoise-coloured ice blue and "shadow" blue trimming make the dark blues colourful. 

Definitely agree with having striping on the breezers. Something like shadow blue with ice blue bordering.

I must say, as a traditionalist, the Kraken name has grown on me. Still not in my top 4 list of names for Seattle's NHL team but I love how the Kraken incorporated a traditional look and the historical connections to the city into their brand.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13 hours ago, dont care said:

You keep moving the goal posts from “palette swapped Ducks jerseys”, to  “but the stripes are in the same order” to then “ but only the sleeve stripes, and only when they are straight” just face it they aren’t palette swapped ducks jerseys which was the original argument 

OK but it was you who said...

On 7/22/2021 at 8:41 PM, dont care said:

They’re nothing alike other than sharing a thin bright color and 2 thicker stripes on the sleeves, everything else is different.

... "They're completely different except for all the ways in which they're similar."

If the full uniform render from last year is anything to go by, even the sock striping matches that very same pattern on the sleeves which - as you kindy pointed out yourself - is shared with what the Ducks have been using in some form or other since 2006. Now they're just a thin, bright coloured pant stripe away from playing '06 dress up! Sorry I had to make that pun

Frankly, they can have it if they want. I've never liked it all that much on the Ducks since they've proven it doesn't work well in motion and I can see the same potential problems for Seattle. The two thicker stripes often merged into a white blob and the thin orange stripe was barely visible when not vanishing into the black base of the jersey.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the thin red stripe is at least befitting of the "hidden in the deep" theme that the Kraken are going for, compared to Anaheim's shtick of "We're Orange County's team, so here's a thin orange stripe."

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

21 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

It's already a busy set with plenty of stripes, a gigantic logo, a shoulder patch and 4 colors (5 if you count white on the away jersey!). There's no "high level of simplicity" on this set lol. If anything, pant stripes would just make the whole thing look more cohesive

The home uniform has 3 stripes on the sleeves, and 2 on the hem. How exactly is that busy?

Considering that before the logos & uniforms were announced most concepts used some sort of anthropomorphic squid logo & tentacle striping, I'd say they took a fairly conservative approach.

On 7/27/2021 at 10:40 AM, spartacat_12 said:

The turn of the century expansion teams all used some variation of a full-sleeve yoke, so it isn't unprecedented for teams entering the league at the same time to use similar design elements.

Different iterations of the same phenomena. 

19 hours ago, lilgump said:

Or the red harken back to the Seattle Metropolitans?

Not everything has to mean something. Maybe the red's there because they thought it looked nice? 

Since the sleeve stripe is a gradient representing the ocean getting deeper, the red stripe is the eye of the Kraken, lurking in the depths. As with the rest of the set, it's restrained and brilliant.

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The home uniform has 3 stripes on the sleeves, and 2 on the hem. How exactly is that busy?

Considering that before the logos & uniforms were announced most concepts used some sort of anthropomorphic squid logo & tentacle striping, I'd say they took a fairly conservative approach.

Well of course everything is relative. It's restrained compared to the late 90s Kings set and it's busy compared to the Red Wings jerseys. No need to be pedantic. I think you understand what I meant. I already explained why I thought it was a busy jersey. And again, busy isn't inherently bad. Depends on your point of view. I happen to think their jerseys are okay. I feel like they should have gone with seafoam as the primary color and I kinda dislike how 2021 the logo looks with the thick keyline and all (so that it looks better in tiny social media thumbnails) but that's just my opinion and I realize it's unpopular. They certainly could have ended up with garish and/or cartoonish jerseys, you're absolutely right

27 minutes ago, dont care said:

And why is the eye red in the logo?

When I first saw the Kraken color palette it made me think of the Mariners logo. I know the colors are different and the Mariners only use red for the baseball seams. It seemed like they tried to go with a local color palette nod

I wonder what the uniforms would look like if the red was swapped with a color similar to Seahawks green

45 minutes ago, dont care said:

And why is the eye red in the logo?

because it looks awesome.  

that was a late addition in the process.  Somebody suggested it during the final presentation to ownership.   Amazing example of how inspiration can strike, and how small details can make a huge difference. 

Goth's right. It looks awesome. 

We really need to get over this need for everything to mean something profound. Sometimes things are included on logos and uniforms because they look good. Not everything needs to represent the grit and hard work of the city nodding to its heritage of craftsmanship that goes back generations. 

People are literally complaining about the new Birmingham Squadron's logo because they gave everything a meaning within their logo reveal.  Things can be added because they look good, and good-looking things can be added because they have meaning.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Red is already just a fairly common eye colour in art for menacing/spookiness/sinister/whatever synonym you want to use.

I didn't realize that a) according to @Gothamite that it was a late addition because of what I just typed above, would have just assumed it was an early and obvious thing, and b) that people are questioning it because, again, of what I just typed above.

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

I wonder what the uniforms would look like if the red was swapped with a color similar to Seahawks green

We know what it would look like, it would look like the Seahawks wearing hockey jerseys.

Obviously I would have no knowledge on what was going on with the colour choices, but to me it seems that they picked the blueish/greenish colour scheme that Seattle sports has going on and then went with the red to not just be the Seattle Hockey Seahawks (and the aforementioned red eye art connotations).

IbjBaeE.png

I found the moment I had remembered - according to Matty Merrill, adidas design director for hockey, it was majority owner David Bonderman who suggested an eye, almost at the end of the logo design process.  They had everything else on the primary logo at that point, but no eye (and presumably no red?). 

(relevant section starts at 4:58)

He also said that based on initial fan feedback, they knew the colors had to feature blue, green, or both.  They selected dark blue after the name was chosen and paired the other colors with it, though he didn’t go into specific reasons behind any of the choices. 

Something about the Kraken's set just hasn't sat well with me, despite the sharp colour scheme and layout (conceptual similarities to Vegas' sweaters aside).

I finally figured it out.

It's the logo. It's too big.

It works now, but start adding Captain and Assistant patches, anniversary patches, Cup Final patches....the front of that sweater could get very crowded.

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

Something about the Kraken's set just hasn't sat well with me, despite the sharp colour scheme and layout (conceptual similarities to Vegas' sweaters aside).

I finally figured it out.

It's the logo. It's too big.

It works now, but start adding Captain and Assistant patches, anniversary patches, Cup Final patches....the front of that sweater could get very crowded.

It's no bigger than the Penguins or old Coyotes logos (which are/were pretty large).

Larger logos on hockey jerseys always look better than smaller logos. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It's no bigger than the Penguins or old Coyotes logos (which are/were pretty large).

I tend to think those are a bit too big too.

14 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Larger logos on hockey jerseys always look better than smaller logos. 

Agree to disagree there.

37 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I tend to think those are a bit too big too.

Agree to disagree there.

Ok - just want to add why, IMO - the old replica jerseys in the 90s/2000s always had smaller logos than the authentics (and some of them were comically small)...I think that's why I prefer the bigger logo. Looks more legit, in my mind. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived