College Football 2021

GelatinousLimes

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30669807/the-2021-way-too-early-college-football-top-25

ESPN (Mark Sclabach) has ranked Clemson #1 in the Way too early Top 25. Mississippi is ranked here too, but I don't think they should be. And no way Indiana will be near the Top 10 when the coaches put their rankings out. LSU should improve but they won't be 2019 good for a while. North Carolina is overrated in my opinion. Texas A&M is still not good enough offensively, though their defense is almost back up to their Wrecking Crew days. Ohio State could be had this year if whomever takes over at QB isn't able to do some of what Justin Fields can. Master Teague will be RB1 and there's enough young, good RBs behind him to help out if he gets dinged up again. 

My top 10:

1. Alabama (Only question is how quick Bryce Young and the next RB up, adapts)

2. Clemson (Will anyone in the ACC even make it interesting this year?)

3. Georgia (Will JT Daniels get them to the playoffs?)

4. Texas (What can Sark do with the weapons in Austin?)

5. Oklahoma (If Lincoln Riley leaves, will they be able to handle the changes? )

6. Florida (If they can make Emory Jones a better QB)

7. Ohio State ( Who's the QB going to be?)

8. Cincinnati (Should be able to go 12-0 if they beat Notre Dame in October)

9. Penn State (last year was an aberration)

10. Notre Dame (Back to an independent, back to needing to go 12-0 to make the playoffs)

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

5. Oklahoma (If Lincoln Riley leaves, will they be able to handle the changes? )

I get that this isn't exactly the thread for debates over what teams are better than others, but considering the unlikelihood of Lincoln Riley's departure, Spencer Rattler's Heisman odds, and the emergence of OU's defense, I find it laughable that you ranked OU below Texas, or that Texas even cracks the top 10 at all. They finished the year ranked #20 for a reason. Then again, as a Sooners fan, I'm 100% biased towards OU and against Texas, so there could easily be aspects of Texas' future that I know nothing about.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30669807/the-2021-way-too-early-college-football-top-25

ESPN (Mark Sclabach) has ranked Clemson #1 in the Way too early Top 25. Mississippi is ranked here too, but I don't think they should be. And no way Indiana will be near the Top 10 when the coaches put their rankings out. LSU should improve but they won't be 2019 good for a while. North Carolina is overrated in my opinion. Texas A&M is still not good enough offensively, though their defense is almost back up to their Wrecking Crew days. Ohio State could be had this year if whomever takes over at QB isn't able to do some of what Justin Fields can. Master Teague will be RB1 and there's enough young, good RBs behind him to help out if he gets dinged up again. 

My top 10:

1. Alabama (Only question is how quick Bryce Young and the next RB up, adapts)

2. Clemson (Will anyone in the ACC even make it interesting this year?)

3. Georgia (Will JT Daniels get them to the playoffs?)

6. Florida (If they can make Emory Jones a better QB)

7. Ohio State ( Who's the QB going to be?)

8. Cincinnati (Should be able to go 12-0 if they beat Notre Dame in October)

9. Penn State (last year was an aberration)

10. Notre Dame (Back to an independent, back to needing to go 12-0 to make the playoffs)

It's all way too early of course but OSU has great prospects at QB, with Stroud probably taking the starting role, and possibly a stronger defense with some guys coming up and losing our less athletic LBs. 

I highly doubt Texas finishes ahead of us, or even top 10. 

Would adore a Cincy win over ND.

Any rumors wrt uniforms?

1 minute ago, -Akronite- said:

It's all way too early of course but OSU has great prospects at QB, with Stroud probably taking the starting role, and possibly a stronger defense with some guys coming up and losing our less athletic LBs. 

I highly doubt Texas finishes ahead of us, or even top 10. 

Would adore a Cincy win over ND.

Any rumors wrt uniforms?

gCN2x8s.jpg

Some of the higher up Nike teams may be switching over to this. It was supposed to happen this year before covid wrecked shipping from overseas. Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia will probably all be using this template. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

I get that this isn't exactly the thread for debates over what teams are better than others, but considering the unlikelihood of Lincoln Riley's departure, Spencer Rattler's Heisman odds, and the emergence of OU's defense, I find it laughable that you ranked OU below Texas, or that Texas even cracks the top 10 at all. They finished the year ranked #20 for a reason. Then again, as a Sooners fan, I'm 100% biased towards OU and against Texas, so there could easily be aspects of Texas' future that I know nothing about.

Well Texas' new head coach did run the offense that tore open everyone this year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Oklahoma State should be getting new uniforms for next season and their prior releases have come in the first few months of the year. They're on an every 5th year new uniform rotation. Of course, this is contingent on any possible Covid related delays. 

I have no evidence to point to, but I think there’s a decent chance Georgia could implement a more classic style for their uniforms.

For reference, this is the current wardrobe. One helmet, one pant, three jerseys. Very simple and cohesive. A modern take on a classic with the Bulldog Bold font. As far as custom fonts go, I think it’s decent and has nice weight to it.

spacer.png

The reason I think there’s a chance is we’ve all heard about this new template coming which gives you a fresh slate to reevaluate things. Kirby Smart is a traditional guy and doesn’t like to talk about uniforms. In fact, he made sure to disclose that Georgia was wearing black in the Peach Bowl because the bowl asked them to in order to have a color-on-color matchup. I also don’t think Smart would have implemented changes when he first came on board because the athletic department had only just launched the new identity in 2013 and Smart came on board in 2016.

This year there were two new alternates (both one-offs only for 2020). One was a straight 1980 throwback. I don’t think there’s anything to read into this one. It was the 40th anniversary of the 1980 championship team. Fans loved the red pants with some advocating for them to be the permanent road pants.

spacer.png

But where it gets interesting was this alternate. It was designed to celebrate 100 years with the bulldog nickname, hence the bulldog logos on the sleeves as well as the dog collar. This alternate was completely new and was loosely inspired by the original black jerseys from the 2007 season. Which font did they use? Traditional block numbers, just like the 1980 throwback. Rather than using the university wide fonts, they doubled down on the block font.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

But where it gets interesting was this alternate. It was designed to celebrate 100 years with the bulldog nickname, hence the bulldog logos on the sleeves as well as the dog collar. This alternate was completely new and was loosely inspired by the original black jerseys from the 2007 season. Which font did they use? Traditional block numbers, just like the 1980 throwback. Rather than using the university wide fonts, they doubled down on the block font.

spacer.png

I think the Bulldog Bold font would've looked better. Keep the sleeve logos but just swap in the G instead of 100. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

To be fair, he was doing that with Alabama's players.

Exactly. And let’s not act like they haven’t been good offensively for a number of years. The personnel he had this year is vastly superior to what he’s inheriting in Austin.

gYH2mW9.png

Guess I can suggest changes for unis in the top 10 

1. Alabama (white helmets for games when they play like colored helmeted schools) 

2. Clemson (possibly rock the purple unis x2 games a season)

3. Georgia (make a red 1981 home jersey to match the road ones, rock those sweet dawg collared black unis once a year and call it a day)

4. Texas (put helmet numbers bw the horns for every game)

5. Oklahoma (lose the collars on the alts)

6. Florida ( no more two logos on the helmet, use that circular 80's  UF/ Gator logo on the helmet for once) 

7. Ohio State ( keep the 1968 unis permanently)

8. Cincinnati (Use more red than black weekly) 

9. Penn State (put the lion logo on the helmet and have a pink and black uni game....just kidding )

10. Notre Dame (slap a green shamrock on those gold domes sometimes)

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Although they're essentially the same, I like Nike using Jordan as another logo for certain teams.

Its hard, I feel like the templates and the amount of templated side merch for Nike are too much to overcome for smaller brands.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

4 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I hope more companies step in to fill the void of UA. I'd hate to see Nike and Adidas become the only options.

Russell is trying to get back into the uniform game, and Champion is outfitting the FCFL, but I think most colleges that are coming up on new contracts will probably just pick between adidas and Nike. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I just hope maroon pants enter the rotation some for A&M. Every year under Fisher the Aggies have had a standard home look and standard road look and zero mixing and matching. The only alternate look was the 1998 throwbacks worn against Kentucky in 2018 that became the inspiration for the new uniform debuted this year.

The problem with being a supplier these days is that you have to be able to offer footwear. It would be nice to see some of the old school suppliers like champion team up with a specialty footwear company like new balance or something like that but it takes a serious investment and commitment to lock into multi-year deals with schools. It's probably better to focus on the consumer market where the margins are higher and the up-front cash required to compete strategically category by category is much lower.

Archived