College Football 2021

MJWalker45

3 hours ago, See Red said:

Don't think this happens, but...

Deion has a legit shot at the #1 recruit in the country.  Hunter's been a lock to FSU, saying he'd sign there even if they went 0-12. I read earlier he wants to be the next Deion at FSU but... this would be wild. 

Edit: Holy crap!

The Fire Mike Norvell Twitter space that came out of this was the highlight of the day. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

The Fire Mike Norvell Twitter space that came out of this was the highlight of the day. 

And yesterday they were so high on him when FSU announced his extension.  Can you watch Twitter Spaces after the fact?  I caught some of it but it was hard to follow it, read the reddit reactions, and follow along with Gators news today all at once. 

Edit: Also, Jackson State is expected to get at least one more.

IUe6Hvh.png

1 minute ago, See Red said:

And yesterday they were so high on him when FSU announced his extension.  Can you watch Twitter Spaces after the fact?  I caught some of it but it was hard to follow it, read the reddit reactions, and follow along with Gators news today all at once. 

Not sure if someone recorded the whole thing, but there's one viral clip of a guy in it damn near crying lol. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

41 minutes ago, Burmy said:

I predict that within 20 years, JSU becomes the first HBCU in FBS.

There's no way in heaven, hell, or limbo of that happening in any amount of years.

The HBCU schools are poor. Very poor... they usually take the big paychecks from larger schools for beatings. The only way a school like Jackson State could ever justify a move like that is if some dead relative gives the school billions for the athletics program.

As for the kid himself, I question this move. At Florida State, he could have a chance at playing in bowl games and possibly an ACC title and a New Year's Six game. At Jackson State? SWAC titles and the Celebration Bowl. That's it... There is literally nothing to play for there outside of that. I fail to see his logic here.

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

There's no way in heaven, hell, or limbo of that happening in any amount of years.

The HBCU schools are poor. Very poor... they usually take the big paychecks from larger schools for beatings. The only way a school like Jackson State could ever justify a move like that is if some dead relative gives the school billions for the athletics program.

As for the kid himself, I question this move. At Florida State, he could have a chance at playing in bowl games and possibly an ACC title and a New Year's Six game. At Jackson State? SWAC titles and the Celebration Bowl. That's it... There is literally nothing to play for there outside of that. I fail to see his logic here.

Yea he went from being a 2nd day draft pick at worst (if he’s as good as he’s suppose to be and doesn’t screw up) to possibly a UFA. He just lost out on a ton of money. Even if he performs as well as he is suppose to there will be a stigma of being in a FCS school and playing against that competition. Unless you are a qb like Carson wentz you aren’t being drafted high, and even then Wentz and Trey Lance have probably soured that well for the foreseeable future.

Rumor has it Barstool dropped some big bags for an NLI deal with Hunter.  Deion is on-air talent for Barstool.

As much as some want Norvell fired (which is :censored:ing dumb to begin with), you can't compete when the mom was super sold on the HBCU experience and there's a seven figure deal on the table. 

Unless the Spanx founder suddenly cared about recruiting, we don't have a ton of boosters/alum who could just drop seven figures at once. 

It really seems that this was in the works for a little bit of time and FSU fans are bitter if it was in motion while he was still visiting and being welcomed into the locker room as one of the team. There are kids in this recruiting class who were only interested in FSU at the start because of Hunter. Sam McCall would not have committed (and ultimately signed) if it weren't for his relationship with Hunter.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Yea he went from being a 2nd day draft pick at worst (if he’s as good as he’s suppose to be and doesn’t screw up) to possibly a UFA. He just lost out on a ton of money. Even if he performs as well as he is suppose to there will be a stigma of being in a FCS school and playing against that competition. Unless you are a qb like Carson wentz you aren’t being drafted high, and even then Wentz and Trey Lance have probably soured that well for the foreseeable future.

If he does good, then he would get the attention of NFL scouts. Having Deion Sanders as your head coach is still a really big sell for NFL scouts.

If he lives up to that #2 ranking by the recruiting networks out there, then he would have no problem being in the Top 5 one day.

The NCAA is definitely going to look at the NLI deal. If Deion had a hand in facilitating it, that's an infraction.

There are some who thinks Hunter's going to realize the spotlight in the SWAC isn't bright enough, especially if Deion is no longer the coach (for whatever reason, take that to mean what you will).

5 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

This is a FACT. Not only are most of them poor, they're also so grossly mismanaged, both the academics and the athletics, it's ridiculous--and it's been a known issue for far too long a time. (If you really want to see how bad it is, look no further than the mess going on at Grambling right now.)  With all that said, one of the main reasons Prime even agreed to take on the job at Jackson was to play a part in turning all this around--he acknowledged early on that this wasn't going to be a quick, easy, or overnight thing, nor was it just for JSU--it's for all HBCUs. There's a contingent out there that has eyes on raising the level back up to where it was when Eddie Robinson was routinely sending his players into the NFL year in and year out. But again, this all gets back to management--but first, they need exposure. And for all of whatever anyone wants to say about this JSU tenure thus far, it has definitely worked to get them and the teams they play some exposure.

5 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Let me fill in the gaps for you on this one--and understand first of all that this NOT come from a SJW angle, but rather as a matter of observation. (That's my disclaimer, only because I know how certain posters can get about this type tangent so I'm deading that dumbness at the door now.) So, with all that said...yes, there's a certain level of exposure, and with it more opportunities, a player will get that comes with playing for a big-name program. That said, for a growing number of these Black high school athletes, this also has much to do with reinvesting into the HBCU culture itself, and playing a part in raising the collective stature back up. To some, that's more important than FBS bowls and accolades...it's for the culture. (And it's deeper than just football...for those of you old enough to remember the TV show "A Different World", what that show represented is what I mean by the culture--that's what so many want to get back to in the HBCU world.) That's also another reason Deion Sanders took on the gig in the first place--followed shortly after by Eddie George at Tennessee State (yeah, soeaking of poor HBCUs, sheesh!)

Hopefully that helps.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

The NCAA is definitely going to look at the NLI deal. If Deion had a hand in facilitating it, that's an infraction.

Word is that those fratboy :censored:sticks at Barstool are involved, which makes it so much worse.

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

There are some who thinks Hunter's going to realize the spotlight in the SWAC isn't bright enough, especially if Deion is no longer the coach (for whatever reason, take that to mean what you will).

Maybe the thought process is that when Norvell gets :censored:canned at FSU, Deion will get the job and Hunter will just follow him there.

To be fair, Hunter is a corner and learning from one of the greatest defensive talents ever to play the game definitely has some appeal.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

6 hours ago, tBBP said:

This is a FACT. Not only are most of them poor, they're also so grossly mismanaged, both the academics and the athletics, it's ridiculous--and it's been a known issue for far too long a time. (If you really want to see how bad it is, look no further than the mess going on at Grambling right now.)  With all that said, one of the main reasons Prime even agreed to take on the job at Jackson was to play a part in turning all this around--he acknowledged early on that this wasn't going to be a quick, easy, or overnight thing, nor was it just for JSU--it's for all HBCUs. There's a contingent out there that has eyes on raising the level back up to where it was when Eddie Robinson was routinely sending his players into the NFL year in and year out. But again, this all gets back to management--but first, they need exposure. And for all of whatever anyone wants to say about this JSU tenure thus far, it has definitely worked to get them and the teams they play some exposure.

Let me fill in the gaps for you on this one--and understand first of all that this NOT come from a SJW angle, but rather as a matter of observation. (That's my disclaimer, only because I know how certain posters can get about this type tangent so I'm deading that dumbness at the door now.) So, with all that said...yes, there's a certain level of exposure, and with it more opportunities, a player will get that comes with playing for a big-name program. That said, for a growing number of these Black high school athletes, this also has much to do with reinvesting into the HBCU culture itself, and playing a part in raising the collective stature back up. To some, that's more important than FBS bowls and accolades...it's for the culture. (And it's deeper than just football...for those of you old enough to remember the TV show "A Different World", what that show represented is what I mean by the culture--that's what so many want to get back to in the HBCU world.) That's also another reason Deion Sanders took on the gig in the first place--followed shortly after by Eddie George at Tennessee State (yeah, soeaking of poor HBCUs, sheesh!)

Hopefully that helps.

Points well taken. I also think this is also a recruit taking a chance that being coached by a hall of fame corner would better prepare Travis for the NFL.  Also, which extends the point about HBCU, Deion can be a mentor that Travis may not have had he went to a big program. 

Who cares about winning at a big program or winning bowl games if you're a  corner, really? That's more for stoking the egos of boosters and boost the profiles of quarterbacks.  College careers are 3-5 years, but pro careers last longer if you good enough and stay healthy. 

And also, drafts tend to be crapshoots anyways. We have seen players from lesser programs make it. Besides, why get drafted higher if it meant landing in Detroit or Jacksonville?

I saw, I came, I left.

19 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Word is that those fratboy :censored:sticks at Barstool are involved, which makes it so much worse.

Maybe the thought process is that when Norvell gets :censored:canned at FSU, Deion will get the job and Hunter will just follow him there.

To be fair, Hunter is a corner and learning from one of the greatest defensive talents ever to play the game definitely has some appeal.

Nah, Deion is too prideful for that. He asked for the job when Willie was let go and was told to kick rocks. He's all about me me me and when he doesn't get what he wants, he's petty. 

On 12/15/2021 at 6:54 PM, dont care said:

He's reportedly getting set up with around $1.5 million in NIL and he's playing for one of the best CBs in NFL history.  I can see Deion trying to set up a rule for the SWAC teams that if they are ranked at a certain position in FCS polls they can skip the Celebration Bowl for the FCS playoffs. I also think they are making more this year from that game than they would in the playoffs, so if that increases they may decide the HBCU National Championship is better monetarily than a FCS Championship. 

On 12/15/2021 at 4:53 PM, Burmy said:

I predict that within 20 years, JSU becomes the first HBCU in FBS.

If we saw the Power 5 and Group of 5 break up, I can see it as a possibility but they wouldn't be going it alone at that point. They, and most of the other schools in the SWAC, have a lot of work to do to get facilities up to snuff as well as needing to find money from boosters and the state. Louisiana schools have been dealing with a lack of investment from the state, HBCUs even more so than the rest of them. I remember that the HBCU that I went to for one year, to get my grades up so I could transfer somewhere else, had a president that ran off with their money a few years after I left. It just seems that the way these schools have to fight to get money is more of a struggle than other schools have to put up with. Then again, private schools in Ohio are losing students too. so much so that Urbana University completely shut down in 2020. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/05/bidens-unprecedented-funding-black-colleges/618846/

https://www.highereddive.com/news/how-one-53b-plan-would-address-chronic-underfunding-at-hbcus/606496/

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

One other point of note: one of the main determinants as to which programs qualify for (what's now) FBS versus (what's now called) FCS* is attendance... there's a certain minimum attendance figure programs have to sustain to make that jump. 

All that said, there are still plenty of quality FCS mills around this country--among them North Dakota State, South Dakota State (go Jacks! haha), Appalachian State and so on--that, should Jackson State get to the point of prominence to be mentioned among those programs, they could just camp out right there and dominate the 1-AA FCS segment. All of which is to say...FBS may well be too high a target for the MEAC & SWAC to reach. But climbing the ranks of the FCS may not be all that farfetched, given enough time, investment, and (as has already been noted several times in this thread) a MASS cleanup of both academic and athletic programs in the HBCU world--and that's probably more important, anyway.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived