Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

Fond du Lac Winnebagos   -- Could be the native people, could be the RV's.  Think of the fun promotions with that one.

Fond du Lac (Fightin') Lutherans -- Hey, it is good enough for Notre Dame.

Fond du Lac Marines -- Largest employer in the city is Mercury Marine (outboard motors for boats)

Fond du Lac Fromages -- Cheese!!!! not just because of the fondue reference, but also because Wisconsin. 

I thought of Winnebagos too, but I'm wondering if the PC police would accept it or not.  I think it could work well.

The Schreiners.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On August 17, 2016 at 8:52 PM, mjd77 said:

I thought of Winnebagos too, but I'm wondering if the PC police would accept it or not.  I think it could work well.

:rolleyes:

The Ho-Chunk, formerly known as Winnebago, are a federally-recognized tribe.   If the baseball team can work out a licensing agreement to use the tribe's intellectual property, I don't see how anyone would have a problem with it. 

Spoke to a Hillcats player on Periscope, and he confirmed that new colours and logos are coming next season. Said he didn't pay much attention to the name-the-team contest, but thought "Lamb Chops" and "Love Apples" were funny.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

54 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

So I guess Bakersfield and High Desert are ceasing operations after this season.  The Carolina league will expand by 2 teams, with one being back in Kinston, and the other TBA.

Suprised the Mavericks lasted the 25 years that they did. Stater Bros Stadium in Adelanto is literally in the middle of nowhere.

2996325757_712258401a_z.jpg?zz=1

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

3 hours ago, mjd77 said:

So I guess Bakersfield and High Desert are ceasing operations after this season.  The Carolina league will expand by 2 teams, with one being back in Kinston, and the other TBA.

Sad news. I always thought Bakersfield would be a great market for the Cal League if only the city and team could figure out how to get a better stadium than the sad sack Sam Lynn built in the 40's. No shocker though on High Desert...i too am surprised they lasted so long. 

Thunder Bay Border Cats (Northwoods League) played dressed as the Thunder Bay Whiskey Jacks (Northern League team - 1993-98 ) on July 24th.

P1030357_zpsrvwfqtf8.jpg

jerseyPanorama_zpsvbpgekg1.png

P1030424_zpsxvxukofm.jpg

P1030422_zpstnreij1j.jpg

• Like 3

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

12 hours ago, mjd77 said:

Fayetteville, NC will likely be the other expansion city. Fayetteville has not had an affiliated minor league team since the Cape Fear Crocs moved to New Jersey in 2000 and became the Lakewood BlueClaws. Fayetteville is also the fifth largest metropolitan area in North Carolina and will undoubtedly get an attendance boost by having Fort Bragg (the largest military base in the world) nearby. Don't be surprised to see a military-themed name.

Very happy that Kinston has a team again!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

10 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The Carolina League getting the Rangers (MB Pelicans before the Cubs got them) back is wonderful. Mariners will be a nice touch.

Won't be the Mariners, they're apparently buying a majority stake in the Modesto Nuts.  I'd assume that Colorado will align with Lancaster and Houston could possible be the team that goes to Fayetteville.

HumanitarianBowl.png

On 8/18/2016 at 10:26 PM, nash61 said:

Spoke to a Hillcats player on Periscope, and he confirmed that new colours and logos are coming next season. Said he didn't pay much attention to the name-the-team contest, but thought "Lamb Chops" and "Love Apples" were funny.

Glad the outdated Tom and Jerry-esque logo is going, but the Green, Gold (and Black) are as well? Dang.

On 8/22/2016 at 10:57 PM, uuh70 said:

Suprised the Mavericks lasted the 25 years that they did. Stater Bros Stadium in Adelanto is literally in the middle of nowhere.

2996325757_712258401a_z.jpg?zz=1

True it is. I really wanted to put this on my list of potential "Go to" minor-league parks in the future, given its outlying location.

Thoughts on the transactions:

1. Sucks to see Bakersfield and High Desert flat-out lose their teams...hopefully the summer-collegiate Great West League can find good ownership to fill both these ballparks for next season.
2. Anybody know how well J. P. Riddle Stadium would rank nowadays even as a temporary stadium?  It's done a good job hosting the SwampDogs (summer collegiate Coastal Plain League), so I imagine it would be servicable for now.
3. Surprised Kinston didn't pursue a CPL team in the years Grainger Stadium was vacant...unfortunately, I can't vote in their name-the-team contest, but my choice would be Kinston Chefs (Kinston is home to Vivian Howard and her restaurant "Chef and the Farmer" from the PBS show "Chef's Life." Just as that Chef does in her restaurant, on the field, these Chefs would be cookin' up good baseball and solid entertainment on a nightly basis! Not to mention, the floppy hats and related merchandise would SELL LIKE HOTCAKES!)

bYhYmxh.png

I've been to Fayetteville a couple years ago during a mission trip. Nice place. Glad to see them get a team. I'm not a fan of minor league clubs copying their parent's identity, but Fayetteville Astros has a nice sound to it.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

On 8/24/2016 at 4:56 PM, MBurmy said:

Thoughts on the transactions:

1. Sucks to see Bakersfield and High Desert flat-out lose their teams...hopefully the summer-collegiate Great West League can find good ownership to fill both these ballparks for next season.
2. Anybody know how well J. P. Riddle Stadium would rank nowadays even as a temporary stadium?  It's done a good job hosting the SwampDogs (summer collegiate Coastal Plain League), so I imagine it would be servicable for now.
3. Surprised Kinston didn't pursue a CPL team in the years Grainger Stadium was vacant...unfortunately, I can't vote in their name-the-team contest, but my choice would be Kinston Chefs (Kinston is home to Vivian Howard and her restaurant "Chef and the Farmer" from the PBS show "Chef's Life." Just as that Chef does in her restaurant, on the field, these Chefs would be cookin' up good baseball and solid entertainment on a nightly basis! Not to mention, the floppy hats and related merchandise would SELL LIKE HOTCAKES!)

It would be cool for the GWL to take over those two markets, but having worked in said league this summer, I can say in good faith that there's no chance. The longest road trip in the league (Portland to Lodi, or vice-versa) is already 10 hours. Bakersfield and Adelanto? Looking past Lodi, you're looking at another 3.5 hours to Bako, and still another 2+ hours from Bako to Adelanto.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

If the independent Pacific Association wants to expand a little to SoCal, Adelanto and Bakersfield could start a south division with Vallejo, San Rafael, Sonoma, and Pittsburg.

Or there's the Southern California Collegiate Baseball League wood bat league, with current teams in LA, Azusa, Newport Beach, Palm Springs, San Diego, and Riverside.

On 8/24/2016 at 8:14 PM, mr.nascar13 said:

I've been to Fayetteville a couple years ago during a mission trip. Nice place. Glad to see them get a team. I'm not a fan of minor league clubs copying their parent's identity, but Fayetteville Astros has a nice sound to it.

The old Sally League team was the Fayetteville Generals. I think another military name might be too on the nose, but I had idea based on this History Channel article.

Since Fayetteville is named after the Marquis de Lafayette, and Lafayette was directly responsible for the creation of the American Foxhound breed, I think the "Fayetteville Foxhounds" would be a fun, alliterative and history-based nickname. 

Plus, a cartoon version of these pups would look great:

AmericanFoxhound_hero.jpg

Make it happen Houston!

12 hours ago, tron1013 said:

Since Fayetteville is named after the Marquis de Lafayette, and Lafayette was directly responsible for the creation of the American Foxhound breed, I think the "Fayetteville Foxhounds" would be a fun, alliterative and history-based nickname.

The Aiken Foxhounds played in the independent minor-pro South Coast League's lone season.

sports_baseball_milb_aiken-foxhounds.gif

• Like 1