Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

On 12/11/2017 at 10:22 AM, Waffles said:

The Tampa Yankees are now the Tampa Tarpons:

cut.jpg

A great step toward making the Yankees farm system more interesting, identity-wise.

Every time I saw this logo, it looked like the Tarpon was holding a pick ax. And I couldn't fathom why I kept seeing that.

And then I realized. The bat rests on the front of his chest, slightly on his shoulder. The bat goes behind the roundel, yet his eyes/head are in front. It's clear by the length of the bat, it's nearly straight up and down. So, it shouldn't be going BEHIND the roundel if his bulging eyes are in front of it. Unless it's a ridiculously long bat. It loses the 3-D look and makes the roundel seem part of the bat, to me. And I can't unsee it. I like the logo. And think for a fish logo they did a good job and incorporated the Yankee pinstripes. Yet, that bat just keeps throwing me off.

8 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Every time I saw this logo, it looked like the Tarpon was holding a pick ax. And I couldn't fathom why I kept seeing that.

And then I realized. The bat rests on the front of his chest, slightly on his shoulder. The bat goes behind the roundel, yet his eyes/head are in front. It's clear by the length of the bat, it's nearly straight up and down. So, it shouldn't be going BEHIND the roundel if his bulging eyes are in front of it. Unless it's a ridiculously long bat. It loses the 3-D look and makes the roundel seem part of the bat, to me. And I can't unsee it. I like the logo. And think for a fish logo they did a good job and incorporated the Yankee pinstripes. Yet, that bat just keeps throwing me off.

Well, damn.  I don't think I'll ever be able to un-see that.

18 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It's just a matter of presenting a product honestly.  Something should "do what it says on the tin", as the English say.  An affilliated minor league team is there for one purpose: to identify prospects and to prepare them for the use of the Major League club, either as players or as assets in trades.  While I get that there is some potential money to be made by obscuring this fact, that is hardly a thing to be embraced or celebrated.  Luring customers on false pretenses is not a legitimate business model.  

If "the money's not there if you're not unique", then perhaps Major League clubs should end the practice of offloading the responsibilities of running minor league teams to local "owners", and should begin owning and subsidising these teams themselves.

And, from the standpoint of aesthetics, it is clear that tying a minor league team's identity to its Major League parent club in no way limits the creativity that can go into the team's logo and uniforms.  One cannot look at the pictures above and seriously assert that a landscape with uniforms and caps such as those is "sterile".

While it's true that the trend in baseball is going away from the idea described here, I am pleased to see that the trend in basketball is towards this direction.

Ok, I see the perspective now. Don't really agree with it because the entire relationship is open and no one is actually being dishonest about or obscuring the relationships between the ML and Minor team. And the relationship between the customer and the team is independent of the affiliation. People buying tickets don't care who's stocking the roster. They're supporting the local baseball business, and like knowing there's going to be a couple guys on the field who'll actually make it to the Majors.

Given the periodic churn of affiliation,there's an argument that local ownership/naming is actually more honest by projecting more accurate level of permanence to the local team.than naming based on the ML organization. The existence of the team isn't predicated on the affiliation. Just because the Pirates aren't going to be affiliated with the Small City Donut Bunnies anymore, the operation will continue to exist, but with Brewers players.

In the end, I'll take the less sterile path.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm late to the party but the news about Syracuse makes me really sad. The very first ball game I ever went to was a Syracuse Chiefs game (many many moons ago). It seems like the team has really struggled to come up with a brand that allows them to maintain the Chiefs name while respecting the wishes of the Onondaga nation (my memories are mostly of the 80s Blue Jays inspired look), but for as awkward and cumbersome as those efforts have been I give them a lot of credit for trying. Sadly, the change to Syracuse Mets just seems like a cop out. The Syracuse Chiefs have existed in one form or another for over 80 years (and yes, I'm counting the SkyChiefs in that time as well), to give that all up for an identity as uninspired and irrelevant to the city's history as Mets is just heartbreaking. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Thaumatrope said:

I know I'm late to the party but the news about Syracuse makes me really sad. The very first ball game I ever went to was a Syracuse Chiefs game (many many moons ago). It seems like the team has really struggled to come up with a brand that allows them to maintain the Chiefs name while respecting the wishes of the Onondaga nation (my memories are mostly of the 80s Blue Jays inspired look), but for as awkward and cumbersome as those efforts have been I give them a lot of credit for trying. Sadly, the change to Syracuse Mets just seems like a cop out. The Syracuse Chiefs have existed in one form or another for over 80 years (and yes, I'm counting the SkyChiefs in that time as well), to give that all up for an identity as uninspired and irrelevant to the city's history as Mets is just heartbreaking. 

Even though I am usually in favour of a minor league team having the nickname of its parent club, this is one of the few historic minor league names that I would like to see retained.  There aren't many such names: Durham Bulls, Rochester Red Wings, and Buffalo Bisons come to mind.  Syracuse Chiefs was another.  These teams can identify with their parent clubs by means of uniform style alone; they don't really need to match the nickname.

While I am disappointed to see a longstanding historic nickname disappear, I can only hope that this just the price of a nacent trend that will be generally good, as we have seen in the D-League.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

A new ownership group - Diamond Dreams, LLC - has purchased the Mankato MoonDogs of the summer collegiate Northwoods League. Along with announcing the status of several upgrades that are being made to the team's home at Franklin Rogers Park, the new owners have also unveiled a new primary logo for the team.

Mankato MoonDogs Unveil New Ownership Group, Logo and Major Ballpark Enhancements for 2018 

I had to look up what the old MoonDogs logo looked like...dear god:

300X250.jpg

By way of comparison, here's the new logo:

Mankato_MoonDogs.PNG

An absolute night-and-day improvement (pun most definitely intended). My only complaint is the use of red for the moon...it ends up reading more like a sun, or just a red circle, rather than the moon. I would have liked to see them make the dog red and white (or better yet, use the same orange from the bat instead of red) and use the silver for the moon. But overall...an absolutely fantastic rebrand. Good job Diamond Dreams LLC!