Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

18 hours ago, bigtex said:

Corpus Christi Hooks going as the "Blue Ghosts" on June 21 in honor of the USS Lexington.

https://twitter.com/cchooks/status/964229811932684288

That's terrific news. The Blue Ghosts moniker was under consideration for the team's identity prior to its 2005 debut season. Personally, I'd hoped that it would be selected, as it is a truly unique name with ties to an important local landmark.  

I love the Blue Ghosts logos that have been unveiled for the weekend. They capture the feel of the crudely-drawn tattoos that many U.S. Navy personnel opted to get during the World War II era.  

• Like 3

On 2/14/2018 at 12:22 PM, Gothamite said:

Yeah, the more I see of this, the more confusing the wordmark becomes.

DV2Xfn_U8AAUZSv.jpg

It's a shame, because the "Tampa" mark is great.

DV2Xfn-VAAAwL3t.jpg

But the way the "r" and "p" interact is just... woof.

DV2XfoDVoAE1_zC.jpg

I don't see the problem here.  I like the way the P nestles in the extended arm of the R.

But that T from the two wordmarks needs to be the cap logo.  Just the T, no fishtail; and there's no point at all in an additional T logo, the one made of a hook.  Most important, wearing that busy blotch of a logo on the cap is a mistake; I think it clashes aesthetically with the rest of the uniform.

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

31 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I don't see the problem here.  I like the way the P nestles in the extended arm of the R.

But that T from the two wordmarks needs to be the cap logo.  Just the T, no fishtail; and there's no point at all in an additional T logo, the one made of a hook.  Most important, wearing that busy blotch of a logo on the cap is a mistake; I think it clashes aesthetically with the rest of the uniform.

In a perfect world, a identifiable letter should be the cap logo, or at least be an alternate, but you have to keep in mind that minor league primary caps with generic logos are becoming the norm.  This is because little league teams can adopt these monikers and buy the licensed merchandise which makes money for the individual teams.  

I know a bunch of local leagues in Florida do this and personally I think its a great idea.  If you're team is the Cardinals, Yankees, or Braves and your little league is in Nebraska for example, having to wear a cap with an STL, NY, or A doesnt really represent your team name.  But if you have a league made of AquaSox, Storm, Grasshoppers, or Seawolves you can wear a cap representing your team name as it has a representing logo.

56 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Nestles into the extended arm, turning a P into a B.  Which is the problem.  "Tarpons" is not a strong enough word to easily read when one of the letters is so fuzzy.

56 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Here I agree completely.  They have far too many cap logos.

cut.jpg

I actually don't mind the fishtail-T as a supplement to the wordmarks.  And if they need a mascot cap logo, so be it.  But two is more than enough, and the hook just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the set.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:
2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

In a perfect world, a identifiable letter should be the cap logo, or at least be an alternate, but you have to keep in mind that minor league primary caps with generic logos are becoming the norm.  This is because little league teams can adopt these monikers and buy the licensed merchandise which makes money for the individual teams.  

I know a bunch of local leagues in Florida do this and personally I think its a great idea.  If [your] team is the Cardinals, Yankees, or Braves and your little league is in Nebraska for example, having to wear a cap with an STL, NY, or A doesnt really represent your team name.  But if you have a league made of AquaSox, Storm, Grasshoppers, or Seawolves you can wear a cap representing your team name as it has a representing logo.

Ah. I can see that. But I have to say that I don't get why this reasoning applies to logos of a single letter. What I mean is that a cap with the graphic logo of the Tarpons can be used only by a youth team whose name is "Tarpons".  Whereas, a cool T logo could be used by little-league teams called Tarpons, Tigers, Tomcats, Timberwolves, Thunderbolts, etc., could it not?

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Ah. I can see that. But I have to say that I don't get why this reasoning applies to logos of a single letter. What I mean is that a cap with the graphic logo of the Tarpons can be used only by a youth team whose name is "Tarpons".  Whereas, a cool T logo could be used by little-league teams called Tarpons, Tigers, Tomcats, Timberwolves, Thunderbolts, etc., could it not?

True but most little league teams nowadays arent creating their own names, around here its either the Major league club names or wacky minor league names.

• Like 1

I'm extremely impressed with everything the Corpus Christi Hooks do. Their 70's fauxback set is so good that it's actually better than their actual set. The Blue Ghosts set is executed perfectly. How amazing is the CC logo in that Blue Ghosts set?

I really like the Tarpons set as well. Three of the hats are fine. The light blue doesn't fit the rest of the set. Simon studio did a great job of giving the Tampa team their own identity while it's easy to see it's a Yankees affiliate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, mcrosby said:

Mankato has updated their update. Probably time to scour the internet and see who they may have 'borrowed' this logo from. 

New new logo: 

MoonDogs-Full-Logo-250x179.png

New logo: 

Mankato_MoonDogs.PNG

@Derek Yoder's hounds lacrosse logo: 

hounds.png

and for what it's worth, their old logo: 

1760_mankato__moondogs-primary-2002.png

You can see my, I'm not sure what to even call it, unused concept here...

https://dribbble.com/shots/4328047-moondogs

59 minutes ago, Derek said:

You can see my, I'm not sure what to even call it, unused concept here...

https://dribbble.com/shots/4328047-moondogs

That whole saga sucks. The fact that they worked with you to resolve it but still insisted upon using part of the stolen logo is ridiculous. My guess: they already had a bunch of merch with the new wordmark. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Louisville Bats to pay tribute to bourbon as Mashers

April 27, 2018 - 19:39 PM

The Louisville Bats, Triple-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds, will play a game as the Louisville Mashers May 26, an homage to the city’s affinity for bourbon. The team will commemorate Cheers to Bourbon Night with specialty uniforms and a […]

Read More...

Frisco RoughRiders to play as Los Jinetes on Cinco de Mayo

April 28, 2018 - 10:44 AM

The Frisco RoughRiders, Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, will commemorate Cinco de Mayo with specialty uniforms and a Spanish-language nickname, Los Jinetes, which translates roughly to horse riders. The uniforms include “Los Jinetes” in the RoughRiders script, plus three […]

Read More...

26 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Nothing like honoring Spanish heritage like having the guy who kicked Spain's ass out of Cuba on the sleeve. USA! USA! USA!

Spanish ≠ Hispanic

• Like 2

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png