2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

Back when it was sudden death - FG wins it, I feel like most people here and in general (anecdotal observations, obviously) thought that was the right way to do it. At this point, I don't see anyone clamoring to go back; they seem to have adjusted to at least making it a TD. Certainly almost nobody liked college OT, which I think has gained a little traction since then.

I think other sports have easier ways to do OT.   It's difficult in football to try to manage potential objectives:

• Integrity of the game (College OT loses this by not having kickoffs or sustained drives)
  • Fairness (College OT probably is the best for this)
  • Manageable game length for viewers and player safety
  • Avoiding ties (score one more for college; at least vs. regular season NFL)

Honestly, in regular season I think the expendable things are fairness and avoiding ties. Obviously in the playoffs, you have to avoid ties and I think fairness becomes more important to some...

I'd keep it like it is for the regular season.  Integrity and length are intact. I can live with ties.  More fair than sudden death-FG wins. Then for playoffs, I'd play one 15-minute quarter and if it's tied after that quarter, just keep playing untimed until someone scores. Still advantageous for the team that wins the flip? Yeah but not nearly as much.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The 15-minute quarter is a non-starter because of the TV schedules.  NBC isn't going to be happy if the early game on CBS isn't wrapping up until 20 minutes into the afternoon game.  I suppose they could delay the start of the later game, but that has a ripple effect that nobody would like.

There has to be some tradeoff in OT for a sport like football, and I personally don't care if kickoffs and punts are taken out of OT and the teams just alternate drives from the 40 or whatever.  It's still the essence of football, and I don't care if a bunch of backup players are on the field blocking or "gunning" on special teams.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

28 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Unless you are confident in your defense. An 14-3 team is not going to be afraid of a 9-8 team. 

Bills had the #1 pass defense and it meant diddley squat, especially headed into OT when defenses are at a disadvantage.

I think each team should get a touch in OT. I also think if you're up 3 with 13 seconds, you need to take the time off the clock with your post-TD kick-off and why the Bills boomed it I'll never know. Coach took them out of the game.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Back when it was sudden death - FG wins it, I feel like most people here and in general (anecdotal observations, obviously) thought that was the right way to do it. At this point, I don't see anyone clamoring to go back; they seem to have adjusted to at least making it a TD. Certainly almost nobody liked college OT, which I think has gained a little traction since then.

I think other sports have easier ways to do OT.   It's difficult in football to try to manage potential objectives:

• Integrity of the game (College OT loses this by not having kickoffs or sustained drives)
  • Fairness (College OT probably is the best for this)
  • Manageable game length for viewers and player safety
  • Avoiding ties (score one more for college; at least vs. regular season NFL)

Honestly, in regular season I think the expendable things are fairness and avoiding ties. Obviously in the playoffs, you have to avoid ties and I think fairness becomes more important to some...

I'd keep it like it is for the regular season.  Integrity and length are intact. I can live with ties.  More fair than sudden death-FG wins. Then for playoffs, I'd play one 15-minute quarter and if it's tied after that quarter, just keep playing untimed until someone scores. Still advantageous for the team that wins the flip? Yeah but not nearly as much.

Penn State and Illinois spent more time walking back and forth to each end of the field then they did calling plays this year. Just go back to the way it was last year.

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Penn State and Illinois spent more time walking back and forth to each end of the field then they did calling plays this year. Just go back to the way it was last year.

I guess it goes to show you that a bad change is worse than no change at all. Change for change’s sake rarely works and if pursued must at least be on paper be vastly superior to the old way. Same goes for football i.e. just about any change Goodell has made

• Like 1

I'm going back to Tampa's loss here for a second. After having two days to let it simmer, I can simply say I will always appreciate Brady and the team for bringing the Bucs back from the sea of irrelevance. Tampa had no playoff appearances since 2008, went through four head coaches in the process, only to convince the greatest quarterback of all time to come to Central Florida and won them a damn Super Bowl.

I won't disagree in the slightest that this year, Tampa was playing with house money and I was going to be content with whatever the outcome was going to be. I knew damn well that repeating in any league, but especially the NFL, is extremely tough. And yet, I wanted to see them get at least one more, since I know that the coaches, Brady and all other talent on the team are essentially there on borrowed time. Considering their history, it's very few times that Tampa has had a consistently competitive team. Why not bank now while they can before fading back into that fateful sea again?

Needless to say, you can't spot teams points. The injuries crept up and even if they had pulled off the comeback, this team was going in wounded to a fortunate squad in San Francisco and the likely returning to glory Kansas City. 

I look forward to what the Fall will bring. I can't imagine Brady retires now, knowing he still has a team that can go all the way, but if he does, I'm thankful for what I got to experience. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Wow, I just realized that if KC makes the Super Bowl (again), for the past 6 Years the AFC will have been represented by only teams.

Patriots (LI, LII, LIII)

Chiefs (LIV, LV, LVI)

So much for "parity" since Brady left jumped conferences. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Wow, I just realized that if KC makes the Super Bowl (again), for the past 6 Years the AFC will have been represented by only teams.

Patriots (LI, LII, LIII)

Chiefs (LIV, LV, LVI)

Except Belichick and his staff > Reid and his staff by a mile.  The Chiefs are really really good, but no game against them is as hopeless as most games against the Belichick/Brady Patriots were*.

Except in Super Bowl LII, where the ones without hope were Belichick and Brady as they fell to their knees before the giant schlong of one Nick Foles.

• Like 7

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Bills had the #1 pass defense and it meant diddley squat, especially headed into OT when defenses are at a disadvantage.

I think each team should get a touch in OT. I also think if you're up 3 with 13 seconds, you need to take the time off the clock with your post-TD kick-off and why the Bills boomed it I'll never know. Coach took them out of the game.

I was saying the same thing, until I read this:

Once the kick is legally touched by the receivers beyond 10 yards the clock starts,” said former NFL referee Gerry Austin. “If the receivers possess it standing and immediately goes to the ground or recovers and stays on the ground, one second is run off.”

Now, there's always a chance that they bobble it, which could run off a second or two or more, depending, but all in all, it may not have made much of a difference.

3 hours ago, McCall said:

I was saying the same thing, until I read this:

Once the kick is legally touched by the receivers beyond 10 yards the clock starts,” said former NFL referee Gerry Austin. “If the receivers possess it standing and immediately goes to the ground or recovers and stays on the ground, one second is run off.”

Now, there's always a chance that they bobble it, which could run off a second or two or more, depending, but all in all, it may not have made much of a difference.

If you kick it to around the 10ish yard line, there's no way they're going to take a knee, and while a return is certainly possible, it's not likely.  It's more likely that the returner would try to get as much as he could then head out of bounds or give himself up after several seconds have run off.  I agree that squibbing it and having one of the up-guys (or whatever they're called) field it and immediately go down wouldn't have been the best idea (provided they are coached well enough to know to give themselves up).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

If you kick it to around the 10ish yard line, there's no way they're going to take a knee, and while a return is certainly possible, it's not likely.  It's more likely that the returner would try to get as much as he could then head out of bounds or give himself up after several seconds have run off.  I agree that squibbing it and having one of the up-guys (or whatever they're called) field it and immediately go down wouldn't have been the best idea (provided they are coached well enough to know to give themselves up).

You also have the likelihood that the ball will be grabbed way before it gets that far down the field. And if it's close to a sideline, just step out and then touch the ball. It would then go to the 40 yard line. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

You also have the likelihood that the ball will be grabbed way before it gets that far down the field. And if it's close to a sideline, just step out and then touch the ball. It would then go to the 40 yard line. 

I'm not saying "squib".  I'm just saing have your kicker not put his full leg into it.  I'm not sure there's any risk of it going OOB or picked up by anyone before the 10 yard line or wherever.  Any NFL kicker should be good enough to place a kick in front of the end zone.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I'm not saying "squib".  I'm just saing have your kicker not put his full leg into it.  I'm not sure there's any risk of it going OOB or picked up by anyone before the 10 yard line or wherever.  Any NFL kicker should be good enough to place a kick in front of the end zone.

Yeah a kick down the middle with some loft so it comes down around the 10 was the best option, any return burns clock and if the returner gives himself up they're starting around the 10 with 12 seconds left in the game. If they were worried about the kicker shanking it by not going full blast jump offsides before the kick and get moved back 5 yards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

Except Belichick and his staff > Reid and his staff by a mile.  The Chiefs are really really good, but no game against them is as hopeless as most games against the Belichick/Brady Patriots were*.

Except in Super Bowl LII, where the ones without hope were Belichick and Brady as they fell to their knees before the giant schlong of one Nick Foles.

I hard disagree here. Mahomes so nauseatingly amazing that not for a single moment did I actually truly believe  Buffalo was going to win that game, even with 13 seconds left. I've had my doubts about Brady a few times (like against the Rams on Sunday, or the Eagles in LII). I've yet to have any doubt against playoff Mahomes so far.  And that really ruined the game for me. 

Reminder that he's only lost 2 playoff games in his career. The AFC Championship (which ultimately came down to a coin flip) and the Super Bowl, where he was saddled with a busted leg & no o-line at all, against a relentless pass rush.  Oh and both were against Tom Brady. 

A lot of the comebacks Brady had we due to mistakes by the opposing team, Mahomes can just score 24 points in 2 minutes if he wants.   

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 12:33 AM, DoctorWhom said:

Patriots (LI, LII, LIII)

Chiefs (LIV, LV, LVI)

A reminder that since 2004, the only quarterback not named Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning, or Mahomes to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl is one Joseph Vincent Flacco. 

Elite. 

• Like 4

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, PittsburghSucks said:

I kinda miss the days of the conference championship games being at 1PM  and 4:25PM eastern time.

I'd prefer that too, but it would suck for west coast viewers... and even more so for west coast teams if they had to host the early game.

• Like 1