2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

15 minutes ago, LMU said:

And fatigue always favors the offense.

It's really not a hard fix.  Guarantee at least one possession for each side, THEN go to sudden death.

Addendum: And make this the rule for the regular season as well. Ties are for soccer and suits, not anything else.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Since the current OT rules were implanted, 11 playoff games have gone to OT. The winner of the coin toss has won 10 of those 11 games. 

I don’t have any evidence to suggest why that is, but I’d speculate it’s because playoff teams are generally really good, and they don’t waste the opportunity to score. Additionally the rules are set up to benefit offenses over defenses, that’s probably another significant factor.

how many of those 10 won it in the opening possession? That’s a more telling stat. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, BBTV said:

how many of those 10 won it in the opening possession? That’s a more telling stat. 

Good point. 7 of those 10 wins came from the coin toss winning team scoring a touchdown on their first drive. 

• Like 5

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

1) Team A kicks off.

2) Team B gets a drive from wherever they field the kick (or touchback.)

3) Team B's drive ends when they can't get a 1st down or when they turn the ball over.

4) If team B turns it over and team A returns it for a TD, the game is over.  Otherwise, it's simply the end of Team B's posession.

5) At the end of team B's possession, regardless of where they are on the field, they kick it off to team A so that each team starts their drive the exact same way.

6) Team A gets the same chance to score as team B.  If they don't, then there's a coin flip and a sudden-death playoff round.

The thing is that during each team's first drive, there's no need to punt since they're not playing a field-position game.  They each get a possession that starts the exact same way and has the same rules.  Then a normal sudden-death period.

And just to make it even more "sudden death", after each failed drive, someone on the offense gets shot like the first game in Squid Games.  So if both teams' offenses suck, there could be 6 players vs 5 by the end.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

To those hopping on the Bengals bandwagon (either for because of Burrow, underdog, hatred for Jackson Mahomes and Brittany Matthews) WELCOME! To be properly initiated into the Bengals fandom you must chug a can of Skyline Chili.

• Like 4

Signature intentionally left blank

Just read an interesting proposal on ESPN - decide who's getting the first OT possession before the game starts, so that each team knows the exact situation at the end of regulation and can modify accordingly.  Maybe the Bills would have played it differently had they known that the Chiefs were going to start OT with the ball.  Or maybe not in that one case, but overall it might be a good idea.  Maybe more teams go for two at the end of games since they would already know that the other team would be getting the ball in OT.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dilbert said:

To those hopping on the Bengals bandwagon (either for because of Burrow, underdog, hatred for Jackson Mahomes and Brittany Matthews) WELCOME! To be properly initiated into the Bengals fandom you must chug a can of Skyline Chili.

Can I throw a can of Sklyline Chili through a table instead? In my culture, it's considered a great honor.

• Like 5

I don't think OT rules need to be overly complicated. Three proposals:

1. Keep it how it is now for the regular season to end games in a reasonable amount of time and so additional stress isn't put on the players, but in the playoffs play until somebody is winning at the end of an extra ten minute period.

2. Both teams get the ball regardless of what happens on the first team's possession. If you give up a TD then you get a chance to match. Sudden death rules after that. 

3. baseball innings like college does except you use the whole field and the kicking game. One team kicks off to the other, if the first team scores a field goal, they kick off, and the other team gets the chance to match or win with a TD. If the first team turns it over or punts then any points the other team scores ends the game. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Just read an interesting proposal on ESPN - decide who's getting the first OT possession before the game starts, so that each team knows the exact situation at the end of regulation and can modify accordingly.  Maybe the Bills would have played it differently had they known that the Chiefs were going to start OT with the ball.  Or maybe not in that one case, but overall it might be a good idea.  Maybe more teams go for two at the end of games since they would already know that the other team would be getting the ball in OT.

Integrate it into the pre-game coin toss.

Team A gets the ball first, Team B gets the ball at the half, Team A gets it in OT.

• Like 1

I vaguely remember someone on either The Sports Writers on TV or The Sports Reporters, suggesting a first team to score 8 points overtime format, this would have been around the time college started overtime. Sure the team that wins the toss still has an advantage but it gives the D a second chance to keep the game going.