2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

So, everybody asking why the Lions (who started the tradition back when no one else wanted to do it) get to keep playing a home game on Thanksgiving every year...

I guess you're somehow missing all those Ford commercials they play incessantly during every stoppage of the game?

• Like 4

It's not lost on me that the league has kludged the whole Lions-on-Thanksgiving thing by scheduling the Bears three of the last four years, the idea being that at least you'll have a major market in there, albeit a second pretty crappy team.

Still, whatever, it doesn't bother me, because if the Lions get people whining "why can't the NFL be more like the NBAAAAAA?", then fine, I'm on the side of the NFL. Detroit sucks, whatever, let 'em have something. At 11:30, you're either cooking or visiting with family. What, you need more high-stakes background noise? If it weren't a Lions game, it'd probably be something involving the Patriots, and everyone would be mad about that too.

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I enjoyed half-listening to the Detroit halftime show, where a guy did one of those songs that Drake and Travis Scott do where it starts with slurred Auto-Tune vocals going "did some xanax cause I'm feelin' sad about my friends" but then abruptly goes into rapping about personal and professional accomplishments, and then when it was over he was like "okay thanks everybody I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving tell your family you love them" in a really nasal and earnestly midwestern voice.

• Like 1

WTF is with that turkey?!? It looks like something out a bad show.

Speaking of bad movies, the family went to my aunt's place (She lives on the next street over) and before turning on the Lions game, she had on Troll 2. From what little I saw, it's not that bad... Probably need to see the whole thing first.

Back to topic at hand - good lord, there were a ton of flags in the Raiders-Cowboys game. I think the refs took umbrage on the idea of keeping the flags in their pocket and were like Oprah: You get a flag, you get a flag, you get a flag.. EVERYONE GETS A FLAG!!

48 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Background noise at early Thanksgiving really should be Blood Rage.

It’s better than Thankskilling (low bar, I know):

spacer.png

You get to see the turkey kill people, have sex with a human, and say a lot of bad puns!

Seems like a Soviet horror film as in America, you stuff the turkey and in this movie, the turkey stuffs you. 

Still, I think I’d rather watch that than the Lions game yesterday. 

The Lions are just putrid.  Not only the team, but having to watch any game in that soulless/lifeless dome with it's 5000k lighting is just the worst.  They could bring Barry Sanders back (and he'd be their best player right now) and they'd still be hard to watch.

I at least expected them to be somewhat entertaining, considering their neanderthal coach who promised they'd be eating kneecaps and bighting ankles or whatever that idiot said.

I kinda hate when the Eagles play on Thanksgiving because I'm generally doing other things (and as a former stadium employee, I really hated when we hosted a Thanksgiving game) but I'd take anything over watching the Lions.  I guess as long as they're always the early game, when as Admiral pointed out nobody's actually watching, it's not the absolute worst, but I'd much rather them be banned from any national time slot forever.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I just wish the NFL were more like the NBA which would mean...I don't know exactly in this context. The Lakers get a Christmas game -- the Thanksgiving equivalent -- every year, even when they're bad.

I think the third game they added is a nice change of pace, though it does take the bloom off the rose the following Sunday, and signals the waning days of the football season when schedules get a little messy.

On the other hand, with that 17th game, the NFL season still does feel unsettled. I'm loathe to give the NFL credit, but I do think 17 games has had a positive impact on competitiveness.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think the third game they added is a nice change of pace, though it does take the bloom off the rose the following Sunday, and signals the waning days of the football season when schedules get a little messy.

I think the original idea was for Kansas City to have the third game as kind of an AFL/AFC heritage game, but then it didn't work out that way and it wound up just being a catch-all for teams that are good. That's probably for the best now if it's going to be the game that everyone actually does watch. With the NFL's relentless greed and constant optimization,  still letting Detroit have their Thanksgiving midday game after all these years is an endearing little moment of willful self-handicapping that we should give them credit for.

If the NBA has an equivalent, I suppose it would be Memphis hosting the MLK Day game. It's not a 1:1 comparison, but close enough. If they thought they had to take it away to better feature LeBron, though, they probably would.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I just wish the NFL were more like the NBA which would mean...I don't know exactly in this context. The Lakers get a Christmas game -- the Thanksgiving equivalent -- every year, even when they're bad.

Better comparison for the Lions game might be the Knicks Christmas game. Every year, no matter how terrible, they get the nooner on Christmas Day. Though that game's also a weird spot where although it's a Christmas Day game, it's probably moreso a cornerstone of a NYC Jewish Christmas where it kickstarts the Chinese Food and a Movie tradition, so I dunno if it's real apples to apples comparison

• Like 4

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

22 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

The two head coaches having the opposite of a chess match was pretty funny

1914151-two-dogs-playing-a-game-of-chess

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

God bless America and its Cowboys and overpriced terrible concession food.

I'm so glad we have these real Americans to show us the way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags