MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

4 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

The Nolan Ryan-era was perhaps the blandest uniform in MLB history. 

I think that weird, simple, bent-staple-looking T hat logo was interesting, from the Ryan years. It was awful, but interesting.

Similarly, I do think the current Rangers look is a natural progression from the 90s look, if that progression's been done with nobody original, just empty trend-chasing at the wheel. Add black for a while? Sure. Oh black isn't cool anymore but powder blue is? Got it. I almost respect that they went back to a jersey script but it's too bad they plucked that script out of a pre-Brandiose minor-league generic void.

• Like 4

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Like, what they had in the 1970's was a good starting point.

6a00e398207183883301156fac9735970c-pi

Emphasizing the split between royal and red (maybe indulging in a no-touch design) and having that red-billed/royal-crowned cap are essential. A whimsical western font, preferably multiple case like the '70s set, would be vital to restoring some kind of character to the post-Turnpike/Arlington Stadium looks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The tough thing is that, aside from the Rockets, every pro team in Texas leans into a Western motif for their brands. You've got the Cowboys, Texans, Mavericks, Spurs, Stars, Astros (who briefly tried to emphasize the space imagery before going back to a basic star), and Rangers.

There's only so many ways to use the Texas flag/state outline/cowboy hats/boots before you start looking like one of the other teams.

Dallas Stars just happened to work out perfectly considering they were originally the North Stars

• Like 1

XM4KeeA.png

17 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The tough thing is that, aside from the Rockets, every pro team in Texas leans into a Western motif for their brands. You've got the Cowboys, Texans, Mavericks, Spurs, Stars, Astros (who briefly tried to emphasize the space imagery before going back to a basic star), and Rangers.

There's only so many ways to use the Texas flag/state outline/cowboy hats/boots before you start looking like one of the other teams.

I wouldnt consider the Astros as a western motif. It certainly is bland for a team that is representing a space theme and the plain star doesn't help when the team is playing in a state where almost every team features a star in some way. When they were red/black it was more western than space themed. Perhaps I have my local blinders on but when I see the navy and orange star with Astros I connect it with the heavier space themed looks of the past.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

That's true, but they don't have to stand out necessarily among those other Texas teams. They have to stand out against other MLB teams. 

I could see them swapping out colors, maybe even taking cues from the Cowboys and going heavy on navy and silver, maybe with a minimally-used red accent. That would be unique to MLB and still fit within the cowboy aesthetic. 

I mean I'm sure they want to at least stand out from the other Dallas-Ft Worth area teams. One of the Rangers or Mavericks should own the cowboy hat look at least.

12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Like, what they had in the 1970's was a good starting point.

6a00e398207183883301156fac9735970c-pi

Emphasizing the split between royal and red (maybe indulging in a no-touch design) and having that red-billed/royal-crowned cap are essential. A whimsical western font, preferably multiple case like the '70s set, would be vital to restoring some kind of character to the post-Turnpike/Arlington Stadium looks.

I feel like their current uniform is about halfway there. They’ve got the split blue & red striping, but the red brim on the cap would be an immediate improvement. I honestly don’t mind the current Western font either, I just wish they’d go back to it on the home, or even go back to the 80’s script. The current script is just as lifeless as can be.

18 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

That's true, but they don't have to stand out necessarily among those other Texas teams. They have to stand out against other MLB teams. 

I could see them swapping out colors, maybe even taking cues from the Cowboys and going heavy on navy and silver, maybe with a minimally-used red accent. That would be unique to MLB and still fit within the cowboy aesthetic. 

With the name Rangers, they are almost shoe horned into red, white and blue. Houston had a nice departure with their red brick sets before rotating back to blue and orange. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

With the name Rangers, they are almost shoe horned into red, white and blue. Houston had a nice departure with their red brick sets before rotating back to blue and orange. 

I agree, which is why I think there's a real opportunity to embrace silver in a way no other team, maybe short of the Rockies, has done. I know somebody earlier mentioned gold, but silver plays into the look of the badges worn by actual Texas Rangers. 

I could even see a logo that merges the T with a silver star, not unlike what the Mariners do with the maritime S. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I agree, which is why I think there's a real opportunity to embrace silver in a way no other team, maybe short of the Rockies, has done. I know somebody earlier mentioned gold, but silver plays into the look of the badges worn by actual Texas Rangers. 

I could even see a logo that merges the T with a silver star, not unlike what the Mariners do with the maritime S. 

spacer.png

Poll: Which Texas Rangers Logo is the Best? | Highway To The Ranger Zone

They had it before, then went with the state flag on the sleeve instead. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm on record for a full rebrand for Texas but while we're talking about the current set, they're a good example that just as important as the design that comes from the supplier is how the team chooses to wear them on the field:

This is the look at the unveiling:

7P4H4WRA6FHN3LVU4724LHOIYQ.jpg

Now look at how different the uniforms look when you change the red cap for blue or vice versa:

usa_today_15987884.jpg15860684-850x560.jpeg

1232796160-850x560.jpeg

CEY200809268_LA_at_Tex.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, QCS said:

The real solution to fixing the Rangers is to change the name.

They did, look at the post below yours. They're the Ŕangers now

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Poll: Which Texas Rangers Logo is the Best? | Highway To The Ranger Zone

They had it before, then went with the state flag on the sleeve instead. 

The problem with this one is that it's ugly

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

The problem with this one is that it's ugly

Yes, exactly. It's about as charmless as they come. 

And I don't think they require a name change. It works perfectly for that region. They've just never found the right visuals to pair with it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, O.C.D said:

What's wrong with the name?

The name was taken from a racist police organization, the nickname is already used by a much more famous and long-lasting hockey team, and I don't think they can get a good visual identity out of it.

• Like 6

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, QCS said:

I don't think they can get a good visual identity out of it.

So, how about letting Toei or Hasbro/Bandai buy the team? Granted, every video of the team would be copyright striked because Japan has no fair use laws, but I digress. 😉

Dallas Chaparrals, Stallions,  some aviation name (Love Field’s history), or even railroad related (last stop for supplies before the West) would have more potential than the current name and aping the Dolan-owned NHL team. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

So, how about letting Toei or Hasbro/Bandai buy the team? Granted, every video of the team would be copyright striked because Japan has no fair use laws, but I digress. 😉

Texas Power Rangers

Zyuranger nostalgic GIF - Find on GIFER

I'm all in on players performing an over the top pose before every at bat.

• Like 11

XM4KeeA.png

I think a solution could be to bring back the ft worth cats. Everyone loved them, and they have so much history. Also yes the name is problematic. In the early years the Rangers were used to catch slaves, and kill natives on Texan land. There’s also a KKK connection I believe. Idk y’all can read more into it. I’m a huge Rangers fan, but I’m not super connected to the actual identity we have.

• Like 4

Excellent!