MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

9 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Re: legibility of long scripts

I saw someone suggest this on here once (with the Dodgers) and it's stuck with me since:

Why not stack the different words? (Old template because it was easily available)

JmLdYmh.png

Wouldnt be out of the question, as the Devil Rays did something similar for the first few years

TBR1998R-1_th.jpg

• Like 3

In my opinion, this was an overall positive move by KC, albeit unexpected.

- their previous set was a bit messy. It is hard to fit powder and royal blue on to a jersey without it looking muddled or watered down. The new royal alternate looks great to me. I think the royal looks deeper and better without powder piping .

- I was never a fan of their road script. To me, it always seemed like an afterthought, and was only used to match the home script. I never liked the white outline, and thought it looked muddy. Again, I’m a fan of how the royal piping, wordmark, and numbers look on the gray background. 

- the thick sleeve piping is unique, and has historical precedence with the Monarch’s style piping from long ago. I love how recent redesigns have trended towards thicker sleeve piping styles (Brewers, Padres, DBacks, etc)

- I wish the powder alternate was worn with powder pants, but I think it looks best with no number or wordmark outlines.

- I’m glad they chose to stop focusing on gold. Gold accents didn’t look bad, it was just hard to fit it in with their already full color scheme. I think they would look fine if they went with a royal, gold, and, white scheme, but I’m glad they stuck with royal, powder, and white.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lgbaseball8 said:

I’m glad they chose to stop focusing on gold. Gold accents didn’t look bad, it was just hard to fit it in with their already full color scheme. I think they would look fine if they went with a royal, gold, and, white scheme, but I’m glad they stuck with royal, powder, and white.

This is a good point. I've always wanted to like the Royals using some gold but hadn't really thought about how it battles against the powder over who is the true accent color for them. Picking one or the other and embracing it is probably for the better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Re: legibility of long scripts

I saw someone suggest this on here once (with the Dodgers) and it's stuck with me since:

Why not stack the different words? (Old template because it was easily available)

JmLdYmh.png

It's a good thought, but to me this feels too out of balance. My brain badly wants something to fill that space under the "Kan." And while I agree with @SFGiants58 that the interlocking letters is a more elegant solution, I've never liked those uniforms for the same reason I don't like the one above. Having the logo on one side always feels out of balance to me.

I'm willing to admit that this could just be a personal nit that I'm picking. I have the same feelings about the National's "W" jersey and the Twins' red alternates. I hate the imbalance. 

For the Royals, I much prefer the road script that they ditched, even if it has some minor flaws. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lgbaseball8 said:

- I’m glad they chose to stop focusing on gold. Gold accents didn’t look bad, it was just hard to fit it in with their already full color scheme. I think they would look fine if they went with a royal, gold, and, white scheme, but I’m glad they stuck with royal, powder, and white.

Except powder blue is barely a part of their colour scheme. It has never been anywhere in their primary logo or home uniform, and the KC chest jersey was the first time they incorporated powder blue into a royal jersey (not counting the bp jersey from the '80s).

The powder blue road set was chosen because it was trendy in the '70s, and they brought it back as an alternate when two-tone blue came back as a design trend. It's really not that different than when black was added in the early '00s. Gold has at least been part of the logo from the beginning.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:04 AM, WSU151 said:

...And I think the sleeve patches no longer have the black drop shadow that had been around forever.

They changed the patch slightly in 2008 and one of the changes was the removal of the black drop shadow on the 'KC'. That was also the same season they began wearing blue belts and cleats again and essentially dropped all black from from their uniforms.

26 minutes ago, DarthBrett said:

They changed the patch slightly in 2008 and one of the changes was the removal of the black drop shadow on the 'KC'. That was also the same season they began wearing blue belts and cleats again and essentially dropped all black from from their uniforms.

2008? I don't think so. The picture in the article below shows a drop shadow. 

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/the_2015_kansas_city_royals_quiz/s1__20359588

The mothership shows the drop shadow being eliminated for the 2019 season, so I was mistaken about the change happening for 2022. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

2008? I don't think so. The picture in the article below shows a drop shadow. 

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/the_2015_kansas_city_royals_quiz/s1__20359588

The mothership shows the drop shadow being eliminated for the 2019 season, so I was mistaken about the change happening for 2022. 

Oh crap, you are right! I stand corrected. I'm looking at photos from 2008 and though it is hard to see in pics, the patch did change that season (the white border was tweaked around the patch and crown), but the black is still there. Odd they dropped black from everything except for the patch. Wonder why. 

• Like 1

Black Fridays for the Mets are here to stay.

It was quickly pointed out that the replicas shown in the video and website are missing the neck piping. A slight redesign maybe? Seems weird to remove an element that's been on nearly every Mets alternative.

• Like 1

XM4KeeA.png

4 minutes ago, insert name said:

It was quickly pointed out that the replicas shown in the video and website are missing the neck piping. A slight redesign maybe? Seems weird to remove an element that's been on nearly every Mets alternative.

I am going to guess maybe they did it just to differentiate it from the '90s-'00s era black alts and make it semi-unique? This alt reminds me of when the Royals changed their black alt in '06 and removed the blue neck and placket piping but left the sleeve trim. 

15 minutes ago, insert name said:

i actually think that's an upgrade. the headspoon, while favored by the mets, seems out of place on the black jerseys. always has, IMO. i wish that while they did that, they had added orange and blue to the blue sleeve piping. maybe it sort of a tri-color sleeve piping to mimic the script. 

• Like 2

sig2024.png

4 minutes ago, DarthBrett said:

Makes me wonder if they are going to remove the orange from the neck and placket from their blue alts too for '22?

i was sort of wondering if they're going to ditch the blue home alts. maybe in favor of their eventual city connect uniform? i have no idea if the mets are one of the teams getting them in 2022, but if they are, it might make sense.

they hadn't worn the blue home alts for almost two years before they broke  them out late last summer. maybe they wanted to pop them in there to try and clear out some of the last lingering inventory? 

this might not be an unpopular opinion, but for as long as the black unis are a friday night special (which is fine, IMO), i'd like them to ditch the home blue alt and make changes to the blue road alt. make the lettering and numbers on the road alt orange with a white outline (like the blue home alt is). the grey numbering isn't necessary. so they'd basically have: pins, black alts (friday home), greys, tweaked blue alts (road). and then eventually, their  CC for six games.

• Like 2

sig2024.png

1 hour ago, Brian E said:

i was sort of wondering if they're going to ditch the blue home alts. maybe in favor of their eventual city connect uniform? i have no idea if the mets are one of the teams getting them in 2022, but if they are, it might make sense.

they hadn't worn the blue home alts for almost two years before they broke  them out late last summer. maybe they wanted to pop them in there to try and clear out some of the last lingering inventory? 

this might not be an unpopular opinion, but for as long as the black unis are a friday night special (which is fine, IMO), i'd like them to ditch the home blue alt and make changes to the blue road alt. make the lettering and numbers on the road alt orange with a white outline (like the blue home alt is). the grey numbering isn't necessary. so they'd basically have: pins, black alts (friday home), greys, tweaked blue alts (road). and then eventually, their  CC for six games.

Hmmm, I like the blue home alts a lot. I'm not sure I would want to see those ones go. I wouldn't mind if they did tweak them though by removing the neck/placket trim and maybe altering the sleeve trim on all their alts. 

BTW, they wore the blue 'Mets' home alts every year since they have debuted. They wore them in 2020 3 times (probably since the season was so short, they would have worn them at least another 5 or 6 times) and in 2019 they wore them 9 times. There was a moment I thought they had retired them this past season though, but then they finally broke them out in August and ended up wearing them 5 times the last 2 months of the season.

• Like 2