MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

1 hour ago, JonBoy said:

Do not like the block lettering for KC.  I thought the 2012 script was perfect and even the suggestions the last couple of pages here are better than what they did.

I didn't at first, and I still am not sure I do on the blue road alts. But then once I realized it harkens back to their '70s road script as well as the thicker piping on the sleeves and pants, I warmed up to it. I think eventually I will warm up to the varsity font on the blue alts though. I do like that they didn't just do 'Royals' script on that jersey. I'll definitely miss the previous blue alt with the powder trim and the big 'KC' logo on the chest. as I really liked that one a lot. 

• Like 2

The more I see the Guardians’ “C” logo around, the more I like it. Really shines in social media avatars and the like, IMO — there’s that hint of dynamicism that just wasn’t there with the block “C” logo. I’ll be curious what it actually looks like on red-brimmed 59FIFTYs once those roll out.

• Like 6

6fQjS3M.png

On 11/21/2021 at 10:45 PM, seasaltvanilla said:

Re: legibility of long scripts

I saw someone suggest this on here once (with the Dodgers) and it's stuck with me since:

Why not stack the different words? (Old template because it was easily available)

JmLdYmh.png

Pretty sure that was me. https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/118970-mlb-2020-by-carolingian-steamroller-outtakes-and-outtlaws-3131/?do=findComment&comment=2988171

I did it with the Dodgers because the stacked "Los Angeles" had been done by the Lakers. Also because of the way the letters slant it was relatively easy to fit the "Los" into the negative space to the top left while still leaving space for the number in the bottom right.

• Like 4

Two words should not have a tail under them.  A tail should belong to a single word.  I think a better, albeit politically impossible solution, would be to change the name of Kansas City and Oklahoma City to something that's one word, or just drop the "city" (or rename to City of Kansas or something.)

This is why I find the Dodgers alt-road to be superior to their Los Angeles version.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I’m cool with a tail under two words, which is why I like the Dodgers’ “Los Angeles” road and the Giants’ jacket script. However, the Dodgers could easily have a road grey with the “LA” insignia on the chest and the Giants have always looked good with the block wordmark or the “SF.”

Placing the “KC” on the road uniform’s chest should’ve been an option. It says the city name while relying on one of the most brand-equitable parts of the team’s identity.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m cool with a tail under two words, which is why I like the Dodgers’ “Los Angeles” road and the Giants’ jacket script. However, the Dodgers could easily have a road grey with the “LA” insignia on the chest and the Giants have always looked good with the block wordmark or the “SF.”

Would this work?

spacer.png

• Like 2

One thing that was interesting about the original Royals uniforms was that the road uniform had a script Kansas City that was vertically arched not angled.

If you went with the KC monogram, do you go with official logo or with something that more closely resembles the cap monogram?

It is a relatively thin logo and it looks like the team wanted to roll with plain blue numbers.

I personally hate using the interlock on the road jersey, especially when these teams have better, full-name road scripts. The Dodgers' "Los Angeles" script is way better than the "Dodgers" one on the road jersey. There should always be the full name of whatever geographic moniker your team represents on the road jersey.

• Like 6

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 minutes ago, QCS said:

I personally hate using the interlock on the road jersey, especially when these teams have better, full-name road scripts. The Dodgers' "Los Angeles" script is way better than the "Dodgers" one on the road jersey. There should always be the full name of whatever geographic moniker your team represents on the road jersey.

That’s something I’m inclined to agree with, to an extent. The Phillies get a pass, because the sobriquet implies the city name.

I prefer city names on all teams, even the Cardinals. “St. Louis” on the road uniforms would be fantastic. The Giants could do the “SF,” but I prefer the pre-2012 version of the road uniform with the block “San Francisco.” The dugout script is mighty cool, though:

spacer.png

Using it somewhere on a uniform would be nice. Heck, maybe designing a “Giants” one to match (and replace the vintage one) would be cool.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, alecgoff said:

Mets removed the unnecessary piping on the front of the jersey. I'm not a fan of them wearing black jerseys, but these are definitely an upgrade over the 2021 uniforms 

This looks so good.

It's a throwback to a great era of baseball. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alecgoff said:

Mets removed the unnecessary piping on the front of the jersey. I'm not a fan of them wearing black jerseys, but these are definitely an upgrade over the 2021 uniforms 

I still own the 00's version and it was always top 3 favorite jersey to wear, specifically because I loved the way the blue piping popped off the black background. The center piping added a little more vibrancy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, QCS said:

I disagree with the Dodgers. City names like that or San Francisco script are too wide for a uniform.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

15 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Would this work?

I like it but would change three things that would improve it. Drop the white trim on the piping, add piping/stripes down the pant legs and ditch the number on the front altogether. There have been many jerseys with logos but without numbers and they usually look good ('90s Angels navy alt, Dbacks black alt and original vest, the current Giants black alt and retired but recent road alt, the Marlins mid-2000s alt, the Padres 2010s unis, the early 2000s first Reds red alt, the most recent Royals blue road alt, the Tigers home whites and the Yankees home whites. 

Something like this...

spacer.png

• Like 3

So, the Royals changes: 

1. The new road is fine. Not a huge fan of block lettering for them, but other than that, this jersey is really nice. Same goes for the road alternate,  which I think showcases the block script a lot better.  

2. The new home alternate though? Either go all in with the light blue and do light blue pants too, or scrap this jersey altogether. I hate that it doesn't contain any "royal" anymore, and if anything, this is the alternate that should've had the block script if they had done the light blue  pants (basically bringing these back full time but tweaking them so they work as a button up). Instead, we get a jersey that's nice on it's own, but is lackluster when you see it in full. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

18 hours ago, DarthBrett said:

I like it but would change three things that would improve it. Drop the white trim on the piping, add piping/stripes down the pant legs and ditch the number on the front altogether. There have been many jerseys with logos but without numbers and they usually look good ('90s Angels navy alt, Dbacks black alt and original vest, the current Giants black alt and retired but recent road alt, the Marlins mid-2000s alt, the Padres 2010s unis, the early 2000s first Reds red alt, the most recent Royals blue road alt, the Tigers home whites and the Yankees home whites. 

Something like this...

spacer.png

It just looks too plain with the chest logo

Sorry, I'm on an iPad