MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

On 2021-11-23 at 9:42 AM, insert name said:

Black Fridays for the Mets are here to stay.

It was quickly pointed out that the replicas shown in the video and website are missing the neck piping. A slight redesign maybe? Seems weird to remove an element that's been on nearly every Mets alternative.

The Office No GIF

• Like 4

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

spacer.pngNot trying to derail but every time I see that swoosh on the front of an MLB jersey I can't help but shake my head. How one of the oldest American professional sports leagues allowed this utterly baffles me.

At the very least they couldn't make it blue or orange? Nope, had to be white

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Olmec said:

spacer.pngNot trying to derail but every time I see that swoosh on the front of an MLB jersey I can't help but shake my head. How one of the oldest American professional sports leagues allowed this utterly baffles me.

At the very least they couldn't make it blue or orange? Nope, had to be white

So they're like every other sports league in the world? Even with teams older than most baseball teams in the USA by at least a few decades? Ultimately, it's up to the teams to ask for them to change the swoosh to match their uniforms, and if they don't care enough then that's on them. 

Inter Milan 2020/2021 Men Home Jersey – Mitani Store LLC

Keep track of every new uniform for the 2020-21 NBA season | NBA.com

LA Kings Unveil 2020 Stadium Series Jerseys

Premier League kits 2020/21: ranked from worst to best | British GQ

Browns release new uniforms: Ranking the jerseys of all 32 NFL teams -  cleveland.com

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So they're like every other sports league in the world? Even with teams older than most baseball teams in the USA by at least a few decades? Ultimately, it's up to the teams to ask for them to change the swoosh to match their uniforms, and if they don't care enough then that's on them. 

Inter Milan 2020/2021 Men Home Jersey – Mitani Store LLC

Keep track of every new uniform for the 2020-21 NBA season | NBA.com

LA Kings Unveil 2020 Stadium Series Jerseys

Premier League kits 2020/21: ranked from worst to best | British GQ

Browns release new uniforms: Ranking the jerseys of all 32 NFL teams -  cleveland.com

The manufacturer logo on the back or on the side is completely different than it being on the front lol

• Like 4

honestly, the swoosh on the front doesn't really bother me. it speaks to the huge equity nike has as a global lifestyle brand, but the swoosh is basically as ubiquitous on clothing as buttons or a zipper. i lean traditionalist, so i know it should drive me crazy and all that, and i know this is simply my opinion and doesn't speak for anyone else, but it's much ado about nothing for me. i agree though that i'd rather it was rendered in blue or orange. 

• Like 12

sig2024.png

41 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

The manufacturer logo on the back or on the side is completely different than it being on the front lol

It's annoying that people are still clutching the pearls about a baseball jersey having a logo on the front, or anywhere on a uniform at all, when it's something that has been in use for greater than 50 years now across multiple sports. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's annoying that people are still clutching the pearls about a baseball jersey having a logo on the front, or anywhere on a uniform at all, when it's something that has been in use for greater than 50 years now across multiple sports. 

Baseball being 50 years behind everyone else is traditional. Them getting the swoosh now is the most baseball thing ever

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

It has nothing to do with "muh tradition muh sanctity" and has everything to do with it looking worse aesthetically. NFL jerseys would look worse with the checkmark on the front instead of the sleeves, NHL jerseys would looks worse with the adidas patch on the front instead of the back. Those soccer and basketball jerseys you linked look terrible btw

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

It has nothing to do with "muh tradition muh sanctity" and has everything to do with it looking worse aesthetically. NFL jerseys would look worse with the checkmark on the front instead of the sleeves, NHL jerseys would looks worse with the adidas patch on the front instead of the back. Those soccer and basketball jerseys you linked look terrible btw

Those logos are in their traditional location, except for football and hockey. Baseball had the logos on the sleeve since the 1980's and moved them to the front last year. Aesthetically, they don't look worse than they did, they just happen to be where people didn't want them to be, because "tradition".  As far as looks, those basketball uniforms look good, except for the ad badge that doesn't match the team colors. For soccer, if a kit looks bad, just wait a year and they'll put out a new one. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Aesthetically, they don't look worse than they did, they just happen to be where people didn't want them to be, because "tradition"

I told you what my opinion was and you're still telling me it's actually something different.

So glad the aesthetics literally (literally) remained the exact same after the switch.

Los Angeles Dodgers v. Washington Nationals

LDN-L-DODGERS-0818-KB7.jpg?w=1202

Love my Ŕangers and my Ŕeds.

960x0.jpg%3Ffit=scale0x0.jpg

What nike logo? It blends in so seamlessly, the aesthetics are arguably better!

1231460237.0.jpg

Those logos are in their traditional location

The NBA first put the manufacturer logo on the front of the jerseys in 2017

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

I told you what my opinion was and you're still telling me it's actually something different.

So glad the aesthetics literally (literally) remained the exact same after the switch.

Los Angeles Dodgers v. Washington Nationals

LDN-L-DODGERS-0818-KB7.jpg?w=1202

Love my Ŕangers and my Ŕeds.

960x0.jpg%3Ffit=scale0x0.jpg

What nike logo? It blends in so seamlessly, the aesthetics are arguably better!

1231460237.0.jpg

The NBA first put the manufacturer logo on the front of the jerseys in 2017

Manufacturer logos, across all sports, are traditionally located on the front of the jersey. That's what I'm saying. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I wish MLB could have pulled an NFL and just put it on the sleeve. I don't hate the swoosh as much as others, but I think it does detract from the aesthetic a bit.

Not to get too off topic, but why are the NFL and NHL seemingly the only leagues without the makers mark on the chest? Why couldn't the NBA get the logo on the back like hockey and MLB on the sleeve like the NFL?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

I wish MLB could have pulled an NFL and just put it on the sleeve. I don't hate the swoosh as much as others, but I think it does detract from the aesthetic a bit.

Not to get too off topic, but why are the NFL and NHL seemingly the only leagues without the makers mark on the chest? Why couldn't the NBA get the logo on the back like hockey and MLB on the sleeve like the NFL?

The NFL figures if the logos are on the sleeves they'll always be visible on camera. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

Does this mean no uniform news

If any team wants to get new stuff available for sale before the holidays, they'll have to use either mannequins or stand-ins as models.  Or just show the new gear laying on a table or something.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The NFL figures if the logos are on the sleeves they'll always be visible on camera. 

Logo visibility is a Nike concern, not the NFL's.

The logo is on the sleeves, because that is the placement that Nike/NFL negotiated and Nike pays accordingly.  I believe that the front of the jersey is the prime real estate, because Nike paid a higher price to MLB to put their mark there vs. on the sleeve.   

College football also has their mark on the front of the jerseys.  If the sleeve placement were preferable, I am sure Nike would have it there, as they are in a more favorable negotiating position with these colleges than with the NFL.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hat Boy said:

Logo visibility is a Nike concern, not the NFL's.

The logo is on the sleeves, because that is the placement that Nike/NFL negotiated and Nike pays accordingly.  I believe that the front of the jersey is the prime real estate, because Nike paid a higher price to MLB to put their mark there vs. on the sleeve.   

College football also has their mark on the front of the jerseys.  If the sleeve placement were preferable, I am sure Nike would have it there, as they are in a more favorable negotiating position with these colleges than with the NFL.

The colleges don't decide where the logo goes though, the NCAA does. Same as how FIFA decides where logos go on jerseys. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png