MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

On 12/1/2021 at 10:08 AM, Olmec said:

spacer.pngNot trying to derail but every time I see that swoosh on the front of an MLB jersey I can't help but shake my head. How one of the oldest American professional sports leagues allowed this utterly baffles me.

At the very least they couldn't make it blue or orange? Nope, had to be white

I wonder why they ditched the blue "spoon" pipping down the center and around the collar. 

Amazon.com : MLB New York Mets Alternate Replica Jersey, Black, Small :  Sports Fan Jerseys : Sports & Outdoors

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Rangers could stand to incorporate a little kitsch; they're a pretty soulless operation.

They play in a Costco and wear silly softball uniforms.  They had things so right in the early-mid 80s, and even in the early BPoA days, but once they started mixing and matching colors and then eras, then moved into the monstrosity that they now play in, it was over for them.  Contract them and turn the warehouse into a parking lot.  Or move them to montreal since they already use the same colors in weird combos, then move the Rays into the Costco, basically trading one warehouse home in churchville for another.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

They play in a Costco and wear silly softball uniforms.  They had things so right in the early-mid 80s, and even in the early BPoA days, but once they started mixing and matching colors and then eras, then moved into the monstrosity that they now play in, it was over for them.  Contract them and turn the warehouse into a parking lot.  Or move them to montreal since they already use the same colors in weird combos, then move the Rays into the Costco, basically trading one warehouse home in churchville for another.

I really didn't like that stadium. I went there for two Rays World Series games in 2020 (versus the Dodgers) and was really let disappointed. 

The concourses were very difficult to navigate and kind of narrow. Where most stadiums have 3-4 levels I believe that park had 6-7 and that same 3-4 of a traditional parks concessions and concourse activities were squeezed into those 6-7 levels which were narrow and loaded with many escalators and staircases (due to the many levels).  

It was almost as if the stadium was being squeezed into a small downtown footprint and needed the concourses to be tight to make this happen. But that isn't the case. This was built in Arlington with a lot of land and maybe they needed some land for the venues being built around the stadium. But it just made a it a dark dreary stadium. 

10 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I think this would’ve been better if the gold banner were on the bottom beneath the 50, and were pulled in to be the same width as the 50. As it is, I think it stretches the width of the overall logo a little too awkwardly.

I dig the return of the cowboy hat ball, though. I’ve always thought a cleaned up version would be a fun thing for the Rangers to have again.

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 11/23/2021 at 11:42 AM, insert name said:

Black Fridays for the Mets are here to stay.

It was quickly pointed out that the replicas shown in the video and website are missing the neck piping. A slight redesign maybe? Seems weird to remove an element that's been on nearly every Mets alternative.

I get wanting to wear those as an occasional alternate. Black was never really a necessary, or even good, addition to the Mets’ color scheme, but I understand the black set’s association in the popular memory - Subway Series, Mike Piazza, 9/11. Once a week feels like way too much though. Almost like they’re testing the waters. I hope they never return to full-time black trim.  

• Like 3

On 12/13/2021 at 7:10 PM, MCM0313 said:

I get wanting to wear those as an occasional alternate. Black was never really a necessary, or even good, addition to the Mets’ color scheme, but I understand the black set’s association in the popular memory - Subway Series, Mike Piazza, 9/11. Once a week feels like way too much though. Almost like they’re testing the waters. I hope they never return to full-time black trim.  

I feel like 7 or 8 times total in an entire 162-game season is not way too much at all. It's actually just right for an alternate.

• Like 6

On 12/11/2021 at 8:17 AM, WSU151 said:

This logo leads me to wonder, how would you guys feel about the Rangers adding some gold trim to their unis? I think it could work for Texas better than it does for the Twins and set them apart from most other RWB teams (assuming the Twins get their act together and eventually ditch the gold themselves). 

7 hours ago, coco1997 said:

This logo leads me to wonder, how would you guys feel about the Rangers adding some gold trim to their unis? I think it could work for Texas better than it does for the Twins and set them apart from most other RWB teams (assuming the Twins get their act together and eventually ditch the gold themselves). 

I don't care what they do so long as they go back to the drawing board and pick a coherent look.  Take 2001 and drop the black drop shadow and they're fine (or heck, like your suggestion, switch to a gold drop shadow).

20090207__20090208_CC01_SP08ARODTEXASp1-

RXMBEUXBI4I6FPT4EBFWHRX6CE.jpg

Every move since this has been further watering down the look to the point that it's a complete mess.

• Like 5

VmWIn6B.png

The Rangers are an odd case study. Their only era of sustained success — the mid-90s Pudge Rodriguez /Juan Gonzalez era  plus two early 2010s World Series appearances -- is largely marked by the same visual identity. But despite the relative consistency, I never found that look to be very compelling. Despite the western-inspired font, it all felt a little character-less. 

The Nolan Ryan-era was perhaps the blandest uniform in MLB history. 

I think this  '70s-early '80s era, with the whimsical font, is the most visually interesting uniform they've ever worn, but I wouldn't suggest it's something they return to. 

spacer.png

Long story short: The Rangers are definitely a team that could scrap it all and start over. They lose nothing by doing that. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

The previous Rangers uniforms were just fine. All 4 Jerseys saying Texas, same template... Relatively good look

They were a coherent set, but I personally thought they were bland. I was excited to see them change it up with a new set, but the new 'Rangers' script is a disaster, along with the powder blue hat. Overall I like the changes made to the jerseys that say 'Texas' though

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

I tried going in a mix of eras style last year, placing an emphasis on double outlines and red not touching blue on the lettering and stripes (outside of the socks).

spacer.png

I think it looks good, but this franchise just needs much more whimsy in its look. Or a different color scheme, that’s also an option.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

The Rangers are an odd case study. Their only era of sustained success came — the mid-90s Pudge Rodriguez /Juan Gonzalez era  plus two early 2010s World Series appearances -- are largely marked by the same visual identity. But despite the relative consistency, I never found that look to be very compelling. Despite the western-inspired font, it all felt a little character-less. 

The tough thing is that, aside from the Rockets, every pro team in Texas leans into a Western motif for their brands. You've got the Cowboys, Texans, Mavericks, Spurs, Stars, Astros (who briefly tried to emphasize the space imagery before going back to a basic star), and Rangers.

There's only so many ways to use the Texas flag/state outline/cowboy hats/boots before you start looking like one of the other teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

The tough thing is that, aside from the Rockets, every pro team in Texas leans into a Western motif for their brands. You've got the Cowboys, Texans, Mavericks, Spurs, Stars, Astros (who briefly tried to emphasize the space imagery before going back to a basic star), and Rangers.

There's only so many ways to use the Texas flag/state outline/cowboy hats/boots before you start looking like one of the other teams.

That's true, but they don't have to stand out necessarily among those other Texas teams. They have to stand out against other MLB teams. 

I could see them swapping out colors, maybe even taking cues from the Cowboys and going heavy on navy and silver, maybe with a minimally-used red accent. That would be unique to MLB and still fit within the cowboy aesthetic.