Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

On 2/2/2022 at 4:42 PM, canzman said:

pretty sure this is what we got going on based on the images that have been made available.

Dark
HHnWsMf.jpg
White
OIeCUhG.jpg
Alt

F1Q3NgY.jpg

canzman, any chance you could mock up a few more of these mixing and matching the pants? I’m sure they’ll be trying out as many possible combinations next year 

• Like 1

I’m more and more baffled every time I look at these uniforms. They took a 90-year old team rocking one of the most iconic sports looks in history and turned them into trend-chasing Arena-football Nike-fied 0/10 garbage. Unbelievable.

Then again, it honestly is the perfect microcosm for Dan Snyder’s reign as owner, so maybe it’s not all bad. No wait, it is all bad. Every single thing about this redesign is bad. 

• Like 16

spacer.png

On 2/3/2022 at 2:40 AM, Tifq76 said:

Burgundy is ok, especially if you pair with the white pants (BUT OF COURSE YOU GET A BLACK NIKE LOGO)

Whites need yellow so bad it hurts. 

The BFBS unis may give the most cursed Washington football uniforms a run for their money tbh:

Washington Football Team training camp profiles: Tight End

Irdc, that helmet is sexy

• Like 1

fiowXOD.png

The BFBS is Snyder's curse.
90th anniversary (where's the jersey patch?)  was the perfect opportunity to make this the alternate
spacer.png

Or a modified version of the Lombardi helmet
spacer.png

But noooooooo.  When I think of what could have been and see what they chose it's so frustrating.

• Like 7

What I was hoping they'd do is keep the two-tone stripes but also put them on the helmet (similar to UVA's old helmets from back in the day). Maybe bring back the gold pants with stripes that actually match the rest of the uniform, and perhaps also make a gold jersey that sees the field for real this time.  The stenciled custom font and even the camo pattern could have still worked within this general framework without being such a radical and ill-advised departure.

Sadly, I have a feeling that the two-tone stripes were intentionally thrown out just because they were associated with the old brand, even though nobody acting in good faith would have complained if they had kept them.

• Like 8

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Well, guys...I got some news to report.

I will throw my hand up as first to acknowledge some ill-directed vitriol on this thread. But as I've been looking more into the creation of this identity, while also trying to be as objective as possible, I'm not sure just how much Nike Inc. had to do with this, aside from the helmets. From the accounts I've read, Tanya Snyder was heavily involved, as has been said here, and Danny Boy has been wanting to include black for dang near 20 years now, so he got his wish. But according to what I just read in the Washington Post, it seems as if an independent agency called Code & Theory--a digital design agency at that--was largely responsible for this new identity. 

See their accounts here: https://www.codeandtheory.com/things-we-make/washington-football-team

Make what you will of that. But I will say this: one encouraging thing I take out of this is that it appears that independent design firms/agencies can still get involved in major pro sports branding. The dream is still alive, y'all!

• Like 6

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

5 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Well, guys...I got some news to report.

I will throw my hand up as first to acknowledge some ill-directed vitriol on this thread. But as I've been looking more into the creation of this identity, while also trying to be as objective as possible, I'm not sure just how much Nike Inc. had to do with this, aside from the helmets. From the accounts I've read, Tanya Snyder was heavily involved, as has been said here, and Danny Boy has been wanting to include black for dang near 20 years now, so he got his wish. But according to what I just read in the Washington Post, it seems as if an independent agency called Code & Theory--a digital design agency at that--was largely responsible for this new identity. 

See their accounts here: https://www.codeandtheory.com/things-we-make/washington-football-team

Make what you will of that. But I will say this: one encouraging thing I take out of this is that it appears that independent design firms/agencies can still get involved in major pro sports branding. The dream is still alive, y'all!

Code and Theory did the Washington Football Team logos as well, so it makes since why the new 'W' is reminiscent of the last one

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

The burgundy helmet and jersey are probably the only two salvageable things about this.

The white jersey is fine. I just hope it gets paired more with burgundy pants and the possible gold pants more often than white pants. At least that way, the more evenly distributed color throughout.

The black uniform just sucks from head to toe. The helmet is horrendous. The team should just done two gold stripes, the “W” on one side and numbers on the other. Th base of the jersey is whatever. They easily could’ve done gold/burgundy/gold sleeve stripes with stars above.

I’m not giving it an F, but holy lord does this set need proper care and affection after the 2026 season.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The burgundy helmet and jersey are probably the only two salvageable things about this.

The white jersey is fine. I just hope it gets paired more with burgundy pants and the possible gold pants more often than white pants. At least that way, the more evenly distributed color throughout.

The black uniform just sucks from head to toe. The helmet is horrendous. The team should just done two gold stripes, the “W” on one side and numbers on the other. Th base of the jersey is whatever. They easily could’ve done gold/burgundy/gold sleeve stripes with stars above.

I’m not giving it an F, but holy lord does this set need proper care and affection after the 2026 season.

I’m not sure how any Washington football away jersey that doesn’t contain a trace of gold can be considered “fine.”

• Like 5

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

I’m not sure how any Washington football away jersey that doesn’t contain a trace of gold can be considered “fine.”

I’m just trying my best to convince myself it’s a “modern throwback” of this-

spacer.png

I know it’s not, but damnit I’m trying like hell

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 10:45 AM, NFLfan10 said:

7s42AMn.jpg

Praying we at least see these combos. They're a bit less offensive.

These are actually much better than expected. I figured the white pants would help the burgundy (minus the black Nike logo on the front), I didn't see the whites being helped that much by the burgundy pants. These are passable. Now they just need to bury the black unis with the old name and never speak of them again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill0813 said:

Or a modified version of the Lombardi helmet
spacer.png

The whole point was to get rid of any Native American imagery, which is what they promised to do.  Removing the feathers and leaving the R within a circle would have visually made them "the Washington Republicans."

2 hours ago, Chawls said:

What about this with the white pants?

White pants were a little tough to see on a white background, so I took the liberty of making the background gold:

hvxp7TR.jpg

I don't think it works as well as gold pants, since the jersey is more gold-heavy now, but it's definitely preferable to all-burgundy.

• Like 6
  • Love 1