Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

If the team is dead set on using the uniforms they debuted, here are two changes that I would really like to see. Switching the facemask out to gold really ties everything together with this uniform and harkens back to the history of this franchise.

spacer.png

The next change is on the away uniform. I shared one I found on Twitter a few posts up that looks a lot better than what they're using, but I would swap out the colors on the numbers. Bring back the gold outlines that they've been using for the last 40 years and switch the gradient in the numbers to black. According to team president Jason Wright they had to include black on the uniform in order to have a black alternate, so doing it this way would still allow that but keep it to a minimum.

spacer.png

• Like 14
SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

On 2/4/2022 at 8:57 AM, Typhoon said:

canzman, any chance you could mock up a few more of these mixing and matching the pants? I’m sure they’ll be trying out as many possible combinations next year 

At this point all signs are pointing to no mix and matching. They appear to be locked into the 3 total mono looks.

The amazing thing is that there's not one part of this I like. 

The W- it's fine on its own but this is a ninety-year old franchise. You look at the older teams with monogram logos and they all use something that's far more traditional than this very modern typeface. 

The helmets. The fact that's there's two is an unforgivable sin and ushers in the great degradation of NFL identities. The black one is total garbage. 

The burgundy one is ruined by the satin finish and the single stripe that matches nothing else. 

Burgundy jersey- Probably the best jersey, but ruined for me by the giant COMMANDERS wordmark. 

White jersey- Dot matrix gradient? The hell? The team and Nike describe it as forward thinking. In what way is dot matrix forward thinking in 2022? 

Black jersey- trash. Just...trash. They're going to look awful in black head to toe. 

Pants- monochrome always sucks, and the fact that these don't have stripes makes them worse. 

What's even more egregious is that the team openly admitted to replacing gold on the whites with black to justify a black alternate. That's the most blatant case of BFBS as I've ever heard. 

• Like 13
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

One thing I actually do like is the use of “Commanders” on the home jersey and “Washington” on the away

My high school team did the same thing and I always liked it. I also like the idea the Rams were trying to do with it with the wordmark patches. My complaint is that Washington's wordmarks don't match. If a team like the Cardinals did it with their matching city and nickname marks, I think it would look much better.

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

12 hours ago, IceCap said:

The amazing thing is that there's not one part of this I like

The W- it's fine on its own but this is a ninety-year old franchise. You look at the older teams with monogram logos and they all use something that's far more traditional than this very modern typeface. 

The helmets. The fact that's there's two is an unforgivable sin and ushers in the great degradation of NFL identities. The black one is total garbage. 

The burgundy one is ruined by the satin finish and the single stripe that matches nothing else. 

Burgundy jersey- Probably the best jersey, but ruined for me by the giant COMMANDERS wordmark. 

White jersey- Dot matrix gradient? The hell? The team and Nike describe it as forward thinking. In what way is dot matrix forward thinking in 2022? 

Black jersey- trash. Just...trash. They're going to look awful in black head to toe. 

Pants- monochrome always sucks, and the fact that these don't have stripes makes them worse. 

What's even more egregious is that the team openly admitted to replacing gold on the whites with black to justify a black alternate. That's the most blatant case of BFBS as I've ever heard. 

Great post. So many good points that if I try to type them out, I won't have fingers left!!! I will break my record for using the bold icon more than I ever have for any post,  in any forum that I've ever belonged to.

You're The Best Around! - Imgflip

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:35 AM, Moseph said:

If the team is dead set on using the uniforms they debuted, here are two changes that I would really like to see. Switching the facemask out to gold really ties everything together with this uniform and harkens back to the history of this franchise.

spacer.png

The next change is on the away uniform. I shared one I found on Twitter a few posts up that looks a lot better than what they're using, but I would swap out the colors on the numbers. Bring back the gold outlines that they've been using for the last 40 years and switch the gradient in the numbers to black. According to team president Jason Wright they had to include black on the uniform in order to have a black alternate, so doing it this way would still allow that but keep it to a minimum.

spacer.png

I said something similar about the away jersey a few pages back.  That and the black helmet are the really big misses on this set.  I'd like to see this mock-up with the stripes adjusted to mirror the home jersey...that would fix it completely.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 12:34 PM, MJD7 said:

White pants were a little tough to see on a white background, so I took the liberty of making the background gold:

hvxp7TR.jpg

I don't think it works as well as gold pants, since the jersey is more gold-heavy now, but it's definitely preferable to all-burgundy.

Thanks for doing this. 
- - - 

spacer.png
This is the only alternate helmet the Commanders should have. I’d also like to see other legacy franchises adopt this. 

• Like 2

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D