NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

11 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

I’m concerned that that’s a sneaky-good move for the Steelers. 

I don't like all the celebrating I'm seeing online from the rest of the AFC North. Mitchell Trubisky is what he is, but Steelers Devil Magic is real. They had the worst starting QB in the NFL last year and still made the playoffs. If Trubisky is even just bad that's an upgrade from the terrible that Roethlisberger was. Their record in one-score games doesn't indicate that they're going to get worse. Hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Crabcake said:

I’m concerned that that’s a sneaky-good move for the Steelers. 

It is, they don't have to give up any draft picks and if he's a bust they can draft a QB next year when the talent pool is deeper. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sport said:

I don't like all the celebrating I'm seeing online from the rest of the AFC North. Mitchell Trubisky is what he is, but Steelers Devil Magic is real. They had the worst starting QB in the NFL last year and still made the playoffs. If Trubisky is even just bad that's an upgrade from the terrible that Roethlisberger was. Their record in one-score games doesn't indicate that they're going to get worse. Hope I'm wrong. 

It’s better than Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson (heck it’s even better than Jimmy G), but like you said, it’s the Steelers. They haven’t had a losing season in a decade-plus. They could probably make the playoffs with a wooden board at QB. 

The utter competency that they consistently show is so maddening. The day the Steelers suck again will be the most joyful the NFL has been in a long time. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Both the narcissist who can't walk away and the media who can't stop slobbering over all things Brady-related are to blame.

I never liked Peyton either, but at least he left with a shred of dignity. Sure, he could barely throw a football anymore and was dragged kicking and screaming to that Super Bowl by his defense, but when he retired, that was it. No faux-retirement to derail the Super Bowl hype, no unretirement to divert attention away from March Madness. It just goes to show who's secure with themselves and what they've accomplished over the years and who's deeply insecure.

When Brady does finally have to retire, I could easily see him becoming one of those salty "back in my day" guys (the type you often see in the NBA) who spends his life trashing the current generation of players to prop up himself and his era.  It's obvious he can't handle anyone else getting attention.

The difference being that Tom had an MVP level performance last year. Peyton’s body gave out on him, it was all but assured it was his final year half way through the season. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

Anyone that's calling Brady a narcissist needs to be reminded that Lebron James booked an entire TV special just to announce what team he was going to play for.  

Ancient history, bro.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, Sport said:

"Who the F are fans to criticize someone's career decision?" Inane and laughable coming from you. You've NEVER criticized an athlete's career decision? By your logic Ben Simmons would also be off limits. Now you're going to tell me why that's a different situation. 

They're not even close to the situation, and you know that.  Ben Simmons quit on his team in the middle of a playoff game, then faked mental illness and criticized fans that supported him and encouraged him up until the very end.  He quit on his team, quit on his fans, and disrespected people with legitimate mental illness.

If he didn't want to play in Philadelphia, then that's fine.  I don't think I've ever begrudged a FA that left.  But he signed a contract and quit.  If he wasn't happy, wanted a change, and went about it the right way then that's fine.  There's plenty of ways to handle a situation like his, and he chose every single wrong one.

It's much different than a guy simply changing his mind about retiring... when he never technically even retired.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

In my defense, this is a huge decision and I absolutely give him all the time in the world to make his decision. Whatever he chooses is his right.

But when you make a public "final" decision to officially retire and people spend hours on highlight packages and all the work they put it to honor your career, only to come back in a few weeks, the next time Brady calls it quits, a lot of people won't believe it.

He never officially retired or said he made a "final" decision.  He didn't even ever say the word "retired".   In fact, he worded everything in a way that left the door open.  It was pointed out as such when he "announced" it.  

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

36 minutes ago, BBTV said:

They're not even close to the situation, and you know that.  Ben Simmons quit on his team in the middle of a playoff game, then faked mental illness and criticized fans that supported him and encouraged him up until the very end.  He quit on his team, quit on his fans, and disrespected people with legitimate mental illness.

If he didn't want to play in Philadelphia, then that's fine.  I don't think I've ever begrudged a FA that left.  But he signed a contract and quit.  If he wasn't happy, wanted a change, and went about it the right way then that's fine.  There's plenty of ways to handle a situation like his, and he chose every single wrong one.

It's much different than a guy simply changing his mind about retiring... when he never technically even retired.

Okay so it's acceptable for a fan to criticize an athlete's career decisions if you don't like the way they went about it. Got it. 

• Like 6

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Anyone that's calling Brady a narcissist needs to be reminded that Lebron James booked an entire TV special just to announce what team he was going to play for.  

It's called being a good person!😠

• Dislike 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

He never officially retired or said he made a "final" decision.  He didn't even ever say the word "retired".   In fact, he worded everything in a way that left the door open.  It was pointed out as such when he "announced" it.  

🤷‍♂️

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33192441/tampa-bay-buccaneers-tom-brady-officially-announces-retirement

• Applause 1

4 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Welcome to the boards Bill Simmons! Big fan of your earlier work.

Can I be on the Airborne Rewatchables?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Yawn 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Okay so it's acceptable for a fan to criticize an athlete's career decisions if you don't like the way they went about it. Got it. 

I mean, Antonio Brown made a choice about how he went about his business and I think it's fine to criticize his methods.  In either case, I'm not criticizing the decision, but more so the behavior.  I don't think Brady exhibited any criticizable behavior.  Who did he hurt?  He's not hurting anyone else's career (like if they signed a guy to be the starter and all of a sudden that guy got screwed and is now the backup), the team hadn't yet altered its plans and moved on, and the heir apparent isn't wasting years waiting for him to quit.  I see nothing wrong here.

39 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

OK, that does sound a little more definitive than what I remembered... but to be pedantic, he never said "retired".  But yeah.. that's a retirement announcement in all but name.

• Dislike 1